It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO or meteor in Russia today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
First reports -- nothing confirmed [and nothing held back -- dunno what caused this]:

en.rian.ru...

Here are a bunch of Russian language news stories -- summary is, searchers in Peterburg region have found nothing.

news.yandex.ru...

edit on 7-4-2013 by JimOberg because: add russian links..

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This happened over NZ today Meteor Sighting? There was a story on the same site earlier this afternoon but it is now gone and this is there instead. With this meteor in the US couple weeks ago, and then the Russian one, I wonder if we're going through a debris field and it's only a matter of time before one hits a city.
edit on 7-4-2013 by ragsntatters because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Life News published an exclusive photo shot witnessed the fall, presumably a meteorite.

lifenews.ru...
It looks to me like it probably burnt up in the atmosphere judging by the picture .

edit on 7-4-2013 by gortex because: Edit to add link

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ragsntatters

I would say that it is a sure thing that eventually one will hit a city. Now exactly WHEN that will occur is a mystery. There are just too many chunks of rock flying around in space and some enter the Earth's atmosphere. Most burn up before they ever hit ground but sometimes it happens- we have just been lucky that a large one hasn't hit a populated area in recent years. Could happen this year or not for hundreds of years but sooner or later it will happen.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
A meteor fell in Russia and only one pic??

Seems a little hard to believe. . With all the dash cams, there should be kazillions of pics again.

I will wait for all the videos again.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
With North Korea's gamble increasing perhaps this Russian meteor sighting was a military craft exercise that went wrong. It seems uncontroversial that people would deny a meteor falling due to their frequency. With that said, photos taken so far add a level of grandeur to the trail left behind making it very likely that something physical indeed burned up in those skies.
edit on 7-4-2013 by MysteriousHusky because: grammar

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Cool video from New Zealand. Fireball burned up in the atmosphere, looks like. Awaiting any damage reports. We know now that a "rock" doesn't have to hit the ground to cause damage. If its big enough, a "fly by" will do.

That explains the damage at Tunguska and "no crater". it explains the "plumes" observed on Jupiter during the encounter with Schumacher (Shoemaker) Levy 9.

I think the danger of something bigger happening is just the same as it always has been. We are a little more sensitive now, since the event in Russia.

www.nzherald.co.nz...

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ragsntatters
This happened over NZ today Meteor Sighting? There was a story on the same site earlier this afternoon but it is now gone and this is there instead. With this meteor in the US couple weeks ago, and then the Russian one, I wonder if we're going through a debris field and it's only a matter of time before one hits a city.
edit on 7-4-2013 by ragsntatters because: (no reason given)

The NZ video looks more like a plane going down towards the horizon and short contrail being lit up by the setting sun, as you can see it's twilight.Tons of videos like that all around the web.
edit on 7-4-2013 by Lithops because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Lithops

I agree Lithops. Looks like a typical Sun-lit contrail. Same with the Russian "meteor". The image gortex posted looks like it could well be another Sun-lit contrail, which would explain why it was not widely reported - from different angles Sun-lit contrails look less like meteor trails and more like contrails.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Those incoming meteorites really like crashing into Russia. Maybe they're not meteorites after all?

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Keep in mind that if you tried to travel the same distance that Russia spans over the lower 48, you'd hit ocean before finishing the trip. So geography and having a country that big raises the odds a bit.

Earth probably sees a lot more large-ish meteors than we'd think, but a lot are out over the ocean where there isn't diddly. One big enough to level a city might hit out in the open Pacific, but few would notice that the waves went up by half a foot for part of the day. And I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the guys monitoring military sats occasionally get an interesting show every other decade or so when a meteor hits, but they're probably told to keep quiet about it.
edit on 7-4-2013 by pauljs75 because: minor edit

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
First reports -- nothing confirmed [and nothing held back -- dunno what caused this]:

en.rian.ru...

Image from the article is from the Feb meteor over russia:

Link to article from Feb

edit on 9-4-2013 by gavron because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join