It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eat The Invaders - Fighting Invasive Species ONE BITE AT A TIME!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I've somehow stumbled upon this site, pretty darn interesting. Considering the effect invasive species can have on the native population. As well as who doesn't like some free food?

You don't have to leave home to eat your way around the world. There are snails from France, greens from England, fish from Africa, rosehips from Asia and aquatic mammals from South America just outside your door. You can eat these invaders raw, eat them boiled, eat them with butter and garlic, or au gratin. This spring instead of dressing your lawn with herbicides, consider balsamic vinaigrette.

eattheinvaders.org...

Well isn't that just an inviting snippet?

The site has 3 sections regarding things to eat, Land, Sea, and Fresh water cuisine.

I am curious as to how the Asian shore crab tastes. Maybe some lion-fish with a wakame salad.

Even if you are too timid to try any of these things listed on the site it is interesting to read through.

Mmmm froglegs

Save your local natural habitats eat the invasive species!

Perhaps you fancy some green iguana? eattheinvaders.org...

I've seen it prepared on a tv show once and I must say it looked delicious, they put some sort of jerk on it so you know it was yum! They say the meat tastes like chicken (i guess everything is chickeny)

Any of you ATSers ever tried any of these invasive species, if so let me know your opinion of how delicious or awful it was.

*stomach growls*

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
How are the scientists going to make any money if we eat up the problems.

It would be cheaper to fish the fish out of the Mississippi river and extract the high amounts of the omega threes from the fish then make them into fertilizer. Or we could just eat the fish, probably really tasty smoked.
edit on 6-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
i find something disturbing about eating the "invaders" when humans are generally responsible for transporting species with nary a thought of the consequences.

yes, let's punish the kidnapped victims instead of the kidnappers.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
i find something disturbing about eating the "invaders" when humans are generally responsible for transporting species with nary a thought of the consequences.

yes, let's punish the kidnapped victims instead of the kidnappers.

So we shouldn't attempt to fix the problem? What about the plants?

It's a source of food and it's not like they are endangered, in fact they are a danger to the local flora and fauna. So really if you think about your point is sorta silly.
edit on 6-4-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

I am more keen on the greens, the crawling things....eek!
Fennel grows wild along the coast, and is yummy, and I have not tried
it but sow thistle is supposed to be really good.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

It would be cheaper to fish the fish out of the Mississippi river and extract the high amounts of the omega threes from the fish then make them into fertilizer. Or we could just eat the fish, probably really tasty smoked.

Asian Carp are not good to eat.(muddy) and are way to bony. and have very very little omega 3( the fish used for omega 3 ocean cold water oily fish, such as salmon, herring, mackerel, anchovies, and sardines. and its pressed for the leftovers after the fish has been processed for food.)

One fisherman grinds up Asian Carp and presses the fish meal to get the fish oil. after the processing he sells the fish meal for fish food (use to feed cat fish and bass at fish farms)and uses the oil after a little processing in his diesel engine on his boat. (his boat smells like a giant fish fry when the diesels are running)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

Originally posted by rickymouse

Asian Carp are not good to eat.(muddy) and are way to bony. and have very very little omega 3( the fish used for omega 3 ocean cold water oily fish, such as salmon, herring, mackerel, anchovies, and sardines. and its pressed for the leftovers after the fish has been processed for food.)

One fisherman grinds up Asian Carp and presses the fish meal to get the fish oil. after the processing he sells the fish meal for fish food (use to feed cat fish and bass at fish farms)and uses the oil after a little processing in his diesel engine on his boat. (his boat smells like a giant fish fry when the diesels are running)

I don't know where you are getting your information but the articles I read on the omega three content of Asian Carp put the levels high. It is a viable source of Omega threes, I have read where some people want to extract the oil and process the rest of the fish for fertilizer. If prepared right the fish is good, a little boney but tasty. I don't understand your point about omega threes needing to be fatty fish. Look up the omega threes of whitefish and compare it against salmon. You will be surprised at what you find. Whitefish on the other hand are not a viable source for a big market. They would get fished out quickly if everyone started eating them. Salmon grow faster and I guess they taste ok, I'd take a rainbow myself over a salmon any day. I'd eat a good coldwater perch or northern pike before eating salmon. I've eaten carp, not the best fish but it's ok. I've eaten all sorts of fish. Lawyers are great smoked, so are suckers. If you want to believe that high levels of Omega threes are only present in ocean grown fat fish, go ahead, it's a free world.

Read this state-journal.com...
edit on 7-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

human intervention was the problem last time, and i'm not sure humans killing the relocated animals counts as a "fix".

i don't have a problem with eating the plants.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

human intervention was the problem last time, and i'm not sure humans killing the relocated animals counts as a "fix".

i don't have a problem with eating the plants.

^^This kind of attitude is a do-nothing stance that can end up far worse for the native flora & fauna if non-native species are left to steamroll everything else. Considering I live in a state where the damned escaped/abandoned pythons are taking over the wetlands and devouring the native wildlife, I'd buy me some wild caught python meat if given the choice. I'm not really crazy about some of our native wildlife down here, but the pythons are destructive as hell already.

new topics

top topics

join