It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient site unearthed in Iraqi home of Abraham

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

British archaeologists said Thursday they have unearthed a sprawling complex near the ancient city of Ur in southern Iraq, home of the biblical Abraham.
The structure, thought to be about 4,000 years old, probably served as an administrative center for Ur, around the time Abraham would have lived there before leaving for Canaan, according to the Bible.

"This is a breathtaking find," Campbell said, because of its unusually large size — roughly the size of a football pitch, or about 80 meters (260 feet) on each side. The archaeologist said complexes of this size and age were rare.

source

Amazing how such discoveries are being made even in the 21st century. This one is the size of a football pitch!

The geographical region where Iraq is located was once the "cradle of civilization". Who knows what else lies underground waiting to be discovered? Unfortunately the conflicts and civil war in that region are delaying new discoveries.

Thoughts on this?

edit on 5-4-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
A Football pitch isn't actually that big. Great article though.

I hope this one gets followed up.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
For those of us with a "sense of history" this is nice, to be able to walk the ground that Abraham himself walked upon.

The artifacts should be interesting, and when the site is explored further hopefully we can add to your thread. Thanks for posting this.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Interesting, but reading the article I couldn't find any solid evidence to claim this was "Abraham's home".

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Hehe, I think "home" refers to Abrahams "homeland"... not his literal home.
But who knows Abraham may have once walked in that complex.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Unfortunately all Middle East is under political ad religious stress for decades! This is discouraging to any archaeological quest in that area! Even museums are looted! I am sure that major discoveries are still waiting covered under the sands of Egypt, Iraq or Iran!

top topics

join