It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Criminal 'Sentenced To Be Paralysed'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Where did I mention anything about criminals not fearing pain? Criminals are human beings too, so that would be a stupid thing to claim. As to your comments re how to punish a rapist, would you require the victim to oversee the punishment to make sure it was being done correctly, or would you rely on the criminals tasked with the job of administering punishment not to go over the line and commit acts the rapist had never done?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

now you're getting in to details...but I would not require a victim to witness it...by no means.

And why would anyone care if somebody went a little overboard with administering a punishment for a serial rapist or a killer.

Perhaps it's me...but I always accepted...that if you want to be a member of a civilized society...you have to accept it's norms and regulations. If you don't uphold to those rules...than you can not ask to be given rights as a prisoner. You've given no rights to your victims...and now you want rights for your self ? Not logical in my book...

again...I'm talking about severe crimes here..like murder, rape, abuse

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly

now you're getting in to details...but I would not require a victim to witness it...by no means.

Does society need to witness it for the message to be effective? Or would a graphic description be sufficient?

And why would anyone care if somebody went a little overboard with administering a punishment for a serial rapist or a killer.

Because we are trying to lessen beastly acts, not increase them.

Perhaps it's me...but I always accepted...that if you want to be a member of a civilized society...you have to accept it's norms and regulations. If you don't uphold to those rules...than you can not ask to be given rights as a prisoner. You've given no rights to your victims...and now you want rights for your self ? Not logical in my book...

The rights given to criminals are a safeguard against society all starting to think like you do.

again...I'm talking about severe crimes here..like murder, rape, abuse

Yup, I see that. It still doesn't make 2 wrongs right, tho'.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Does society need to witness it for the message to be effective? Or would a graphic description be sufficient?

the point would more be for that person to feel the horror he dished out on his own skin. The public would only be told of his sentence...not the details. I think that would be a strong deterrent for any future criminals...coupled with the an occasional true confessions from "ex-criminals" that have now seen the error of their ways. But, perhaps I'm being too optimistic.

Because we are trying to lessen beastly acts, not increase them.

Granted. Valid counter argument. But for how long do we have to endure...rights for criminals...no rights for the innocent ones. As long as the system allows it. I know I'm taking a hard line here....but...my innocence of the world is long gone. Thousands of innocents are being murdered every day...but we take up higher moral ground when criminals are concerned? Isn't that a joke...

The rights given to criminals are a safeguard against society all starting to think like you do

Like what..like the ones that criminals deserve a punishment according to the crime they committed ? I guess if you're in the money and power...you probably don't want that. You want it the way you can buy everything...just get a hell of a criminal lawyer...and you just might be innocent after all.

Yup, I see that. It still doesn't make 2 wrongs right, tho'.

does it make it right ? In the grand scheme of things...isn't that what the good lord preaches...the one you all bow down to ? Do not unto others...isn't the holy judgment just that...a just punishment for the crimes of man ?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
An eye for an eye, then? So we'd have 2 paralyzed boys, both likely using every government benefit program available, 1 of them injured by OUR bidding? Should everyone in the offender's household be punished? What would this do to resources for the family? Would it durectly & in a tangible way affect the opportunities of any siblings, especially younger? They may not get to go to college or even finish high school, depending on economic status of parents. Eye for eye. It's not a very SMART punishment. Especially when the accused was a juvenile, & not even near adulthood. AND he's already done 10 years. That's quite a punishment. Perhaps we should remove nonviolent offenses & victimless crimes from the roster of "things one may be sentenced to jail for", cease the practice of parole & early-release etc., &/ bring back chain gangs? If they could vbe run humanely. If people in jail worked hard 8-5 M-F that would develop habits of work which is what many criminals seem to be lacking. That's an aside, though, as this young man isnt a cruminal in the manner of which I was speaking. At least, we dont know he is. He may be one NOW from being locked up 10 yrs w/threat of paralysation looming.
Pls excuse typos; typing on very small screen.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
"Because we are trying to lessen beastly acts, not increase them."

Precisely.
I agree, Mr. Askitov.
It is criminal for a govt to inflict physical or mental incapacitation, in this & probably most situations. Not a defined, well-read & encompassing take on a legal issue, but I suspect my instincts have pointed me in the right direction.
People espousing paralysing the offender have vengeance in mind. Does it not give one pause to realize the punishment for which some here have argued in a seemingly rational, logical, common sense flippancy, is likely the very punishment an emotional & crestfallen parent would demand,in the early hours of the own child being hurt in thus way? At least,if that parent had a vengeful heart

edit on 4-4-2013 by kkrattiger because: formatting errror

edit on 4-4-2013 by kkrattiger because: lost some tags and cant seem toget it right, sorry

edit on 4-4-2013 by kkrattiger because: took out broken html, & quoted old-fashioned way

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Oh so because it's in Saudi Arabia and we get the official story its ok if the Government paralyse him? How would you feel if the same story came out of say Iran? Would you people still hold the same view or would you be beating the war drums whilst crying "Crime against humanity"?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

that is out of the category...as I said...if the crime is victimless...than it makes no sense to go for the eye. Everything else can be compensated...but injuries, emotional scaring...money hardly compensates for the lifetime of nightmares...

Know what makes it worse? Is if a person is charged and sentenced even though they did not commit the crime and then has to go throuh what your suggesting with it.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

oint would more be for that person to feel the horror he dished out on his own skin.

And that is logical or just how? You only end up with two wrongs, so you actually make things worse. Revenge is not primary purpose of a punishment. The satisfaction victim and other people get from revenge is surely not enough to outweight the suffering done by commiting the crime yet again, thus it cannot justify an eye for an eye morality.

And harsh punishments are ineffective as a deterrent, the best deterrent is certainty of getting caught and convicted.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov

Remind me again how you punish a male rapist.

Good question.

I think Id rather choose being raped than years in prison, certainly if we are talking about more gentle type of rape which doesnt lead to injuries. So in this case eye for an eye approach could be less harsh than current system. Just goes to show that rapists are overpunished because rape is sexual and sex is icky.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

From the source.

The NGO claims that the paralysis sentence would contravene the UN Convention against Torture to which Saudi Arabia is a state party.

So this is a recognised crime on the global scene yet people are willing to agree with it? What is this world coming to....

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

No matter who did this ... Saudi Arabia .. Iran .. USA ... China .... It would be

And to answer those who say 'it's their country they can do what they want'.
I say .... yes, but it still makes me

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

In a word, yes. You should be thinking about the victim more and the attacker less. The stabber could spend 100 years in prison and still not get what he did to his victim. If he was paralyzed , within 20 minutes he would get it. Our society is overrun with talking animals because our justice system favors the criminals.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

No matter who did this ... Saudi Arabia .. Iran .. USA ... China .... It would be

And to answer those who say 'it's their country they can do what they want'.
I say .... yes, but it still makes me

It would be interesting to see how much time he got on his sentence also because I think this is really harsh. Even an account of how this stabbing occured isn't mentioned in the article. Was it accidental or did he try and kill him etc, like what actually happened?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by riffraff

In a word, yes. You should be thinking about the victim more and the attacker less. The stabber could spend 100 years in prison and still not get what he did to his victim. If he was paralyzed , within 20 minutes he would get it. Our society is overrun with talking animals because our justice system favors the criminals.

So would you like to see a form of Sharia Law implemented in your country to punish criminals? You know your asking for trouble by letting an ounce of Sharia slip into your countries system?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
He put a person in a wheelchair for life he should face the same penalty. And 180K is a small price to pay for what he did.

If this wouldve been Iran, instead of our precious ally Saudi Arabia, there would be an International Outrage and even more cries for an invasion.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

When your wife or daughter is raped I hope you have the strength to hold on to that point of view. If you ever find a woman daft enough to reproduce with you.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

No.i said nothing about sharia, you did. Read my post again. Go ahead, ill wait.................I want justice for the victims. We can have justice without bringing religion into the picture.
edit on 4-4-2013 by riffraff because: I fail to see why someone could think we can't have justice without religion.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by riffraff

No.i said nothing about sharia, you did. Read my post again. Go ahead, ill wait.................I want justice for the victims.

Well what were you saying because it seems as though the eye for an eye is what your suggesting which would be a form of Sharia Law. What were you talking about and how would you punish the offenders?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Eye for an eye is Hammurabi's code. The God of Abraham endorsed similar ideals. We can leave religion out of this. You know what else the sharia thinks is good? Eating and breathing. Shall we stop doing that too to protest sharia? Go ahead, you first

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join