It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Propaganda reality check:from North Korea.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
This is going to be like acid in some peoples mouths, but in all honesty I couldnt help but agree with the majority of what was said.
The fact it was apparently A North Korean production may not sit well with some people, but at the end of the day, the truth hurts.

Here is the formal statement I gave to Federal Police on 16 June 2012: On a trip to visit family in Seoul in April, I was approached by a man and a woman who claimed to be North Korean defectors. They presented me with a DVD that recently came into their possession and asked me to translate it. They also asked me to post the completed film on the Internet so that it could reach a worldwide audience. I believed what I was told and an agreement was made to protect their identities (and mine). Despite my concerns about what I was viewing when I returned home, I proceeded to translate and post the film on You Tube because of the film's extraordinary content. I have now made public my belief that this film was never intended for a domestic audience in the DPRK. Instead, I believe that these people, who presented themselves as 'defectors' specifically targeted me because of my reputation as a translator and interpreter. Furthermore, I now believe these people work for the DPRK. The fact that I have continued to translate and post the film in spite of this belief does not make me complicit in their intention to spread their ideology. I chose to keep posting this film because - regardless of who made it - I believe people should see it because of the issues it raises and I stand by my right to post it for people to share and discuss freely with each other. Sabine I have translated this film, laid in the English voice over and subtitles, and on legal advice have blurred the identity of the presenter and/or blacked out certain elements.

Viewer discretion is advised.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Just started the video, but as far as I can tell, the irony runs strong with this video. A propaganda film, exposing the other sides propaganda....Which we admittedly do, but it's rich hearing it from them.
S&F, shall continue to watch now.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I saw it long ago. It hits on some soft spots. Every country wishes it was better or "perfect".

In my experience, from within my own family's existence, the USA has a lot to be proud of. We have the unusual model of being the uber-rebels at one time, but later were supposedly oppressors of the World? Well, inbetween those periods, there was definitely a time where colonial nations and fascists became free, and the USA was *their* model of freedom and independence. Ironic or no? How can USA go so bad so quickly?

Every lifestyle has pros and cons. I'm not smart enough to know what's best, but I know I live in a decent land with minimal hardship, compared to my ancestors and relative to other peoples. It should be obvious to anyone here, or in prosperous post-ww2 nations that we do live in a semi-advanced society. So, how bad could the Western-Japanese-South Korean-______ model be? I agree other places should be left alone to be commie or whatever, but we here enjoy a lot of comforts.

People of Earth have a long way to go, together. Diversity is what literally kept humans going as a species, but it also seems to limit cooperation for the end users.

This is a counterpoint view, or is it?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by PLAYERONE01

An excellent post !

Looks like a fascinating documentary. Keep the population occupied with whatever it takes to appeal to their base instincts. Swamp and overwhelm their critical thinking skills with trash t.v. ( Ninety nine per cent of what's broadcast.) reality t.v, and the tacky " Celebrity " culture, being perfect tools for this...words fail me on this topic.

Feed them a bad diet that they love, full of fat and sugar, after all, they were genetically programmed to eat food whilst it was available, in their primitive era ( Maybe we are still primitive ! ) Trouble is, food is always available now, and we have all the problems that go with this, obesity...etc, etc.

Advertising that creates unachievable ideals, and fear of not being able to be one of the happy, shiny people with a perfect life, and that my friends and neighbours might look down on me because of this.....Fear.

Just examples of what is happening to us in the West, numbing our once questioning minds in to compliance.

Create " Enemies " real or imaginary to justify policies.?...Fear.

Keep the population distracted / sated / dumbed down with whatever keeps them malleable and compliant, whilst pursuing other hidden agendas. I wish I had coined the word " Sheeple " .....perfect !

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I won't read the posts on this thread, I'm afraid I'll see more things to destroy
my beliefs.

If I didn't believe in propaganda by our government, commercials, and television
shows I wouldn't have joined ATS, but this is more than I ever believed I was
ready for.

I am crying even as I post this. I want to,I need to believe this is propaganda
from our enemies, but what I watched rang so true. I have never felt so confused
these people threatened my country, my people of all walks of life, not just a
corrupt government. Yet I saw things I know to be true, things beyond what I already
held in question.

I thought I was awake to use the term here on ATS, but this, this is more than
I can handle.

I love ATS, but this is unforgivable.What am I suppose to think now?

I mean we're force feed lies I know this, but this is farther than I felt.
This is everything I believed in question now. Maybe I'm not ready to hear the truth.

All powers are achieved through lies, America isn't that bad right?

I'm not that foolish am I? I'm upset with the direction our government has taken us,
but our enemies they torture there people, make them suffer. They hate us because
we stand against tyranny, isn't that right?

Why? Why dose what our enemy says sound right to me?

I'll give you a star and flag, you deserve it, but know for an unknown time
I will hate you for this. Nothing personal I just wasn't ready for these questions
in my head. Everything is confused right now my beliefs, my country, where I stand
in all this.

If only it didn't touch on my fears.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by terriblyvexed

I'm not that foolish am I? I'm upset with the direction our government has taken us, but our enemies they torture there people, make them suffer. They hate us because we stand against tyranny, isn't that right? Why? Why dose what our enemy says sound right to me?

That is why stuff like this happens, because people don't WANT to believe it. It's tough realizing that most of your worldview is built on lies, but you'll get past that. The truth is what's important. Have you seen the videos about the former CNN reporter saying that they were ordered to demonize Iran and Syria?

Unfortunately "they" hate "us" because "we" go in and topple democratically elected officials if it meets our needs, pump a whole area of the world full of depleted uranium, kill women and children because they are "the enemy", rape, pillage, and generally use the world for our own purposes of empire. That is why they hate us.

What they say sounds right to you because it is true. Unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I'm not that foolish am I? I'm upset with the direction our government has taken us,
but our enemies they torture there people, make them suffer. They hate us because

lol dude first of all calm down... deep breaths.

There's one thing I've learnt over the years on ATS... nearly nothing is what it appears to be on the surface. There really isn't a single issue which is completely black and white on both sides. There are no true "good guys" and true "bad guys" ok... America is not the savior of the world fighting against tyranny and the last reason anyone would ever hate America is because they fight against tyranny, such a belief is so naive I can't even express how stupid it is to believe that.

But America also isn't the evil satanic monster it is made out to be in this video... many of the points made in the video are true but the same points could be said about almost any Western nation. Furthermore, a lot of it is also over-exaggerated and blown out of proportion, making the video its self a form of propaganda designed to demonize the US. No one is perfect my friend... we all have our faults and problems, the important thing is that we work to better ourselves.

How can NK justify their arrogant and war mongering ways by claiming the US deserves it... they are talking about nuking thousands of innocent people who really have nothing to do with the politicians and officials who make the US look bad. If they were so righteous and insightful they would understand this, and they wouldn't lust for blood like sick twisted animals. And again it's not the NK people making any of these threats, it's their so called leaders.

If I were a NK citizen right now I would be crapping my pants... do you know how many nukes America and its allies have? If NK's insane leaders dare to carry out there threats their nation will quickly be reduced to a pile of ash. They have not a single iota of a chance of surviving the hell fire which will reign down upon them should they be stupid enough to inflict any damage on the US or its allies. I feel sorry for the NK people because they are led by psychopaths.

And so too is the US led by many a psychopath. How ridiculous is it that Obama won the Nobel peace price... REALLY? He has started so many wars in his time as President and even I would argue he has supported terrorist organizations overthrow sovereign Governments. Bradley Manning exposed US war crimes of epic proportions and he was locked away by the US Government... he should have been the one who received that Nobel peace prize.

Forget about understanding things in black and white... the world simply doesn't work that way.
edit on 4/4/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Its a propaganda movie about propaganda. The video is also aimed towards western audiences, since I'm sure about 99% of North Koreans are more concerned about feeding themselves rather then watching a documentary. This film is coming from a country with a "Military first" agenda while their people starve.

Yea, i agree with some of the films sensationalism but coming from NK it proves nothing. What should we do all become communists?

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by terriblyvexed
I won't read the posts on this thread, I'm afraid I'll see more things to destroy
my beliefs.

If I didn't believe in propaganda by our government, commercials, and television
shows I wouldn't have joined ATS, but this is more than I ever believed I was
ready for.

I am crying even as I post this. I want to,I need to believe this is propaganda
from our enemies, but what I watched rang so true. I have never felt so confused
these people threatened my country, my people of all walks of life, not just a
corrupt government. Yet I saw things I know to be true, things beyond what I already
held in question.

I thought I was awake to use the term here on ATS, but this, this is more than
I can handle.

I love ATS, but this is unforgivable.What am I suppose to think now?

I mean we're force feed lies I know this, but this is farther than I felt.
This is everything I believed in question now. Maybe I'm not ready to hear the truth.

All powers are achieved through lies, America isn't that bad right?

Why? Why dose what our enemy says sound right to me?

I'll give you a star and flag, you deserve it, but know for an unknown time
I will hate you for this. Nothing personal I just wasn't ready for these questions
in my head. Everything is confused right now my beliefs, my country, where I stand
in all this.

If only it didn't touch on my fears.

Ummm, I thought at first that this was sarcasm, but now I'm not so sure? Please tell me you post here is sarcasm at its finest.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Star for your post. Seeing this much truth and logic brings a tear to my eye.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDmOKI

Its a propaganda movie about propaganda. The video is also aimed towards western audiences, since I'm sure about 99% of North Koreans are more concerned about feeding themselves rather then watching a documentary. This film is coming from a country with a "Military first" agenda while their people starve.

Yea, i agree with some of the films sensationalism but coming from NK it proves nothing. What should we do all become communists?

Somehow I see the US as having a military first agenda while their people starve. Maybe not "starve" at present but the homeland social scene is second as a concern to military spending, at least from my chair here.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDmOKI

This video is more about "they talk about us but take a look at them, they're no better and sometimes even worse and more corrupt"... more than "we're better than them". the "we're better than them" part takes about 10 minutes on a 1 hour and half video...

I think the video is pretty damn accurate if we take out the "dear leader" parts.

Very good video.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Nice find, OP! I find the docu to have a great deal of truth to it (I'm 30 minutes in) and it's not actually that shocking or surprising because the claims really do apply thus far. Granted, it's a harsh, theatrical, over-emphasized way of going about it, but truth is truth there. We're a bunch of gluttonous, mindless, stupified consumers following the social trends created for us by the wealthier & more powerful (celebs, et al) Intellectualism is frowned on, not watching the latest braindead TV series is somehow some kind of sin (Honey Boo Boo? Game of Thrones? Never seen 'em, you'd think I killed the Pope by the reactions)

I'll say it's kind of harsh in it's delivery of "take a hard effing look in the mirror, Yanks", but it's quite spot on.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Very interesting post and video. It is plagiarised from the series posted below which was produced, written and narrated by a British guy called Adam Curtis. All of these vids (including the op's) contain the truth and expose propaganda techniques (which have now been honed to perfection by tptb). The primary technique is the 'big lie' e.g. we live in a democracy and surround it with truisms thus creating a forest of confusion.

I hope those who watch the op vid take the time to watch this vid at their leisure (it's 4 one hr episodes in one youtube vid). This is, quite simply, the best documentary series I have ever seen.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

Lol I was drunk when i wrote this post, I'm a little less drunk tonight.

I didn't explain what made me cry or why my beliefs were under attack.

It was the soldiers, I know media lies we don't know what really goes on
in these wars. However our soldiers are our brothers, and sisters, husbands,
and wives, aunts, and uncles and so forth. I'm sure there are nuts who join
to kill without getting in terrible, but if others saw what was going on in that
video they would stop it.

We're talking about people who are us, not the so called 1%.

I've never seen any of that before, it was horrible. I know it was propaganda
, but it looked real, and if so then who wouldn't hate us.

I can't handle things like that I'm sensitive when it comes to children, and crimes
against those who can't defend themselves.

Sorry for the unclear, and maybe to your eyes overly dramatic post.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

It is OK, I just was not sure if you were being sarcastic or not. I hear you about the troops. I went to Bosnia for a year and the desert for another year. After 8 years of being GIJoe and seeing firsthand what war does to a country I am proud to be a civilian again. Nothing about any war is nice and only fools and communists think people are so different the world over.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

That's strong glad i was rejected at 911 maybe I was blessed in a way that I couldn't defend my country

I mean that in no bad way folks, just maybe war wasn't meant for people like me no matter your patriotism.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I would say war is not "meant" for anyone. There are many more bad aspects to wars than just getting shot at and shooting back at people.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   

....only fools and communists think people are so different the world over.

And communism relates to fools how? I think the point of the vids posted on this page is not that people are fools - or that they are communists - but that a massive majority have been hoodwinked by advanced propaganda techniques. The public relations industry was invented by Edward Bernays who was Sigmund Freud's nephew (it was he who gave Freud notoriety not the other way around).

It is particularly galling for the rest of the world (almost all of it) to sit back and watch just how easily the US citizens are terrorised BY THEIR OWN GOVERNMENT and to know that while the US accusatory finger points to various regimes around the globe citing terrorism, or communism (or whatever the latest fad is) it is ALL hypocrisy.

Yes war is pointless - but almost all of us in Europe could tell you that. Many people who participated in WWII are still alive - and the memory still vivid in the national psyches. We just wish the US citizen would finally catch on,

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

....only fools and communists think people are so different the world over.

And communism relates to fools how? I think the point of the vids posted on this page is not that people are fools - or that they are communists - but that a massive majority have been hoodwinked by advanced propaganda techniques. The public relations industry was invented by Edward Bernays who was Sigmund Freud's nephew (it was he who gave Freud notoriety not the other way around).

Maybe reading comprehension is not your strong suit, so allow me to clarify what I said.

The stated goal of communism is to spread across the world, to bring "sameness" to everyone on the planet. Political, social, economic differences the world over are not allowed under a communist system. To them, peoples differences are a weakness, and only leads to conflict.

I have been to two different war zones myself. I have seen firsthand that people are basically the same the world over. They just want to live in peace, love their families, raise their kids, be happy, etc etc. What I was saying is that there is no real difference in people, no matter how they may be portrayed in the media or in movies/TV.

If you think that people around the world are so very different, you are either a fool or a communist. Or both.

It is particularly galling for the rest of the world (almost all of it) to sit back and watch just how easily the US citizens are terrorised BY THEIR OWN GOVERNMENT and to know that while the US accusatory finger points to various regimes around the globe citing terrorism, or communism (or whatever the latest fad is) it is ALL hypocrisy.

I totally agree with this point you make here, but maybe I can help with your perspective on the american psyche. Americans themselves are not a sinister people. But they have been brainwashed by decades of propaganda and the whole concept of "American Exceptionalism." There are a good many of the younger generations that have "waken up" to how things really work in America. But there are also a good many of the older generations that still believe in the concept of the "good war". That America is spreading democracy and freedom to the savages that live in the rest of the world.

The politicians don't even try to hide their lies anymore, young people can see this. Especially young people that have been deployed to these fake "good wars" the US has going all across the world. I can go on and on about the doublespeak I personally witnessed from American media and my military duties at the time. Problem is, most younger people are too apathetic and worried about domestic problems like making some money to make ends meet to know what to do about it. And many of those that ponder these questions feel helpless to change the system that they were born into.

Yes war is pointless - but almost all of us in Europe could tell you that. Many people who participated in WWII are still alive - and the memory still vivid in the national psyches. We just wish the US citizen would finally catch on,

You and I both sister. And thanks to the illegal wars that are continually being perpetrated by the US government, there are a good many of my generation of Americans that have realized and will continue to realize it as well.

edit on 5-4-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-4-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join