It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We’re all doomed: DARPA develops cheap robot hand that can use tools.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
"Modern-day robotics has already advanced to the point where we can create robot limbs sophisticated enough to be attached to machines and perform tasks efficiently enough to outpace humans in certain areas. A significant problem with these limbs, though, is that they’re just too expensive, and not precise enough to outpace humans across the board. However, DARPA has developed a cheap robotic hand that can almost match human performance in dexterous activities, like changing a tire.

Humanity’s greatest advantage over other forms of life is our ability to use tools (or, relatedly, that our intellect allows for the ability to use tools). So, what happens when DARPA develops a robot hand so precise that it is able to use a tool made for human use? Something ominous, certainly, but something pretty darn cool — assuming it doesn’t figure out how to rise up against its creators. The goal of the project wasn’t simply to build a cool robot that will take our jobs, but to build a low-cost, dexterous limb that would lead to more advanced prosthetics for those who have lost use of their own limbs. Up until recently, a dexterous robotic hand would cost over $10,000, but as technology rolls along and development costs lower, teams are encroaching a production cost of a relatively inexpensive $3,000."

Wonder how long it will take "Them" to weaponize the technology and build a T-800! LoL

www.extremetech.com...

edit on 2-4-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
They'll impress me when it can cook ,clean, bring me a beer, and open it.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Holy crap. Advances in robotic technology are cool in a way, but also a little unsettling.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
its called project skynet... dun dun dun!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The T series had to start somewhere.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction." -Einstein

Wish I could tell him that technology has long since usurped our ethical code of conduct.

When tech and resources supply everything you want; it degrades everyone else's worth to obsolete beggars and takers; and there's no turning back from that - there is only course correction. We have to lose the me/mine mentality or we're all doomed.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
The link I have provided highlights yet another advance in robotics, but this one is more along the lines of medical prosthesis. However, it also shows just how refined the science of robotics can be.

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I started a similar thread on prosthetics not that long ago. Its remarkable how far we have come, eh?

If only we could transfer consciousness, immortality would actually become tenable prospect.
edit on 3-4-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

join