It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fascist to Manage Football Club

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Paolo Di Canio is a retired footballer and now manages Sunderland Association Football Club, not only that he is a self admitted Fascist.

Paolo Di Canio must clarify his current political beliefs and distance himself from fascism, according to Football Against Racism in Europe director Piara Powar.

Di Canio was announced as a replacement for sacked Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill last night and is taking his first training session at the club on Monday.

The former Lazio striker has previously admitted to having fascist leanings, telling Italian news agency ANSA in 2005: "I am a fascist, not a racist."

Link
Extra Link

Apologies Mods if this is in wrong forum, wasn't sure where to place it

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
What are your views on this ATS?

I believe politics should have no place in sports personally but that being said racism asociated with fascism has been on the rise in recent years in European football.

Also David Miliband has quit as a director of SAFC in light of this move, a job he apparently recieved £125,000 for 15 days of work since he joined in Feb 2011 :

Former foreign secretary David Miliband immediately resigned as Sunderland's vice-chairman and non-executive director after Di Canio was named O'Neill's successor on Sunday night, citing the Italian's "past political statements".

As Sunderland is my local club I do find this interesting although I admit I gave up supporting them years ago for financial reasons (theirs not mine), personally I support the views of some of the supporters

Sunderland fans groups said the club's success should take priority over politics but they remain wary of Di Canio's views. Supporters' Club member Stan Simpson, a season ticket holder for 40 years, said: "There is no way, as fans, we would entertain any fascism in our club. As long as he doesn't express any political opinions I can cope with it. I've got no problem with him being there. But if he expresses those sort of opinions while he's there, he should be sacked, it doesn't matter how or where. It's not acceptable in this country."

He or any other person in sports or not can have whatever views and beliefs they like, as long as it does not offend or hurt others what does it matter? as long as he does not bother others with his views and attempt to preach them. As far as I'm concerned UK is a place with freedom for beliefs and as long as you play by the books your beliefs are as protected as anybody else's

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I agree If he spouts his drivel sack him, many fought against the fascists and lost their life doing so.
Bad decision sacking Oneil tbh...I give him till the end of the season and they will sack him anyway.

Even though he is the only football player I have seen in recent years with a little sportsmanship.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Well it never stopped him playing for Celtic, West Ham, Charlton or managing Swindon Town for all these years. Where was all the Breaking News then? He's not here to run for a by-election or start a political party. I am sure there are WORSE people aloud into the UK than this man and people in power.

Let the man just get on with his job i say!

Even though i don't like football

Tsom87

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TSOM87

Exactly.... Politics has no place in sport, so it matters not if the guy is a fascist. Besides, he is right, being a fascist doesn't make you a racist.

In fact, fascism as an ideology makes no distinction between races, it merely deals with how the state operates and what is expected of it's citizens, no matter their colour.

Just because some wacky Austrian claimed to be a fascist and murdered millions it doesn't mean the ideology of fascism is unsound.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
That said, he was lined up to take over Reading, who I support and I am glad he didn't take the job. Politics aside, I think the guy is a bit of a idiot but I remember him from his playing days in the Premier League...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990
He or any other person in sports or not can have whatever views and beliefs they like, as long as it does not offend or hurt others what does it matter? as long as he does not bother others with his views and attempt to preach them. As far as I'm concerned UK is a place with freedom for beliefs and as long as you play by the books your beliefs are as protected as anybody else's

As you mentioned it, it is quite telling that when he was appointed Swindons manager, the GMB Union withdrew support citing political reasons. Now an ex-Labour (supported by the Unions) minister does the same at Sunderland?

Seems to me like another case of "anti-fascists" (like the UAF) trying to force their beliefs on someone else... Ironic?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hey, if this guy supports England for Englanders then I have no problem. The real question is, do you,? If not, then you (OP) are a traitor. His own domestic politics are his own business.
edit on 1-4-2013 by Blister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

He is an Italian, but I'm sure he would at least agree with the sentiment...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Exactly! I doubt he would express an opinion on the UK situation, much less the English situation, but I am sure many English people understand his own views viz-a-vis Italy.

And I have no problems there.

I just hope that the PC do-good liberals allow the English to have our own country.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Why was nothing mentioned when he managed Swindon Town? There was never anything made of his political views then.

I don't agree with his politacl views, but I think he is a great manager who did a good job with Swindon Town. He certainly brightened up the premiership in his playing days, let's hope he can do the same as a manager.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
That said, he was lined up to take over Reading, who I support and I am glad he didn't take the job. Politics aside, I think the guy is a bit of a idiot but I remember him from his playing days in the Premier League...

Or is it because you couldn't stomach an ex- manager of Swindon Town, coming in to manage the Royals?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
People things like"politics has no place in sport", it makes me laugh. Sportsmen like football players seem to have more public attention then actual politicians, and when you listen to them being interviewed they mostly talk like politicians, rarely revealing their actual thoughts on a subject. When Roy Keane left the Irish squad in 2002 during the World Cup after arguing with McCarthy, Ireland was plunged into turmoil, people were fighting in the streets, taxi drivers were foaming at the mouths with rage, local pubs became battlefields, every man, woman and child in the land had an opinion.....the events even have their on Wikipedia page..."The Roy Keane Incident". At the time the Irish Taoiseach(political leader) offered to fly to Saipan to try and resolve the dispute, no doubt to take advantage of a free holiday and earn public approval at the same time.

I would venture to say that sports has replaced politics in modern day Ireland. So when people say "politics has no place in sport" I say yeah? Should be the other way 'round.

When something of actual political import happens in Ireland, the Irish people aren't bothered. The banks have robbed the country, politicians are still receiving ridiculous wages(like footballers), families are being thrown out of their homes, natural resources are being sold off to private interests, financially destitute people are committing suicide...and on and on. Does anyone give a f**k??? But when the Irish football team doesn't perform as well as expected......lord above, they're howling for blood on every street corner!

edit on 1-4-2013 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

As you mentioned it, it is quite telling that when he was appointed Swindons manager, the GMB Union withdrew support citing political reasons. Now an ex-Labour (supported by the Unions) minister does the same at Sunderland?

Thanks I didn't know that, the fact this is in the news is ironic to me in this day and age of equality and diversity, as you noted fascism is an ideology and as an ideology it is tricky to define. Personally I think Miliband shouldn't have been at the club in the first place... money killed and owns the corpse of the game known as football.

reply to post by Blister

Hey, if this guy supports England for Englanders then I have no problem. The real question is, do you,? If not, then you (OP) are a traitor. His own domestic politics are his own business.

What do you mean the England squad or league teams?

If your an English citizen you can play simple as that, Owen Hargreaves for instance could have played for 3 countries as he was of multiple nationality.

League football is plagued by money and that is why we have so many foriegners in the game, personally I think a certain percentage of each club should be local never mind of the same nationality but I no longer really have a valid say... I gave up on football about 7 years ago it's just a joke really.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
So thats why that zionist scumbag miliband left the club. I heard it on the news but didnt know what he was on about. De canio seems ok to me he was a half decent player and manager. So hes a ravng nazi?
lol Hes in good company then as the royal family love goose stepping about in nazi uniforms as well.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

It is funny isn't it

I agree with what you said it's crazy the way the world is these days, civilization in the 21st century eh, it's bloody brilliant

It is ironic how celebrities are the new politicians in todays society and trivial things are the new important political topics, I agree that sport should stay out of politics though and I believe people should actively engage in politics.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Hehe, I have no beef with Swindon - it's been a long time since we were anything like rivals owing to us being in the top leagues and they being down below. Swindon, as a town, is a little dull though....

That said, come next season, it might be the first time in many years the two have met in competitive football. Reading is now a very family friendly club though and we've made a name for ourselves being quite warm to visiting fans, something that can't be said about many of the bigger teams like Arsenal that charge away fans higher ticket prices!

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990
League football is plagued by money and that is why we have so many foriegners in the game, personally I think a certain percentage of each club should be local never mind of the same nationality but I no longer really have a valid say... I gave up on football about 7 years ago it's just a joke really.

I think you should at least look again at the game- Yes, the Premier League's top sides have become billionaires play things full of "foreigners", but there are strict rules in place now which govern how many foreign players teams can have, how many must be homegrown and teams get a free pass on any U-21 player, by that I mean it doesn't take up a slot from their maximum 25 man squad, so there is now an incentive to develop youngsters. Aside from the biggest teams, most clubs actually rely heavily on their Youth programs to produce new players as most cannot afford the high price tags for imported ones.

Even the big teams do a lot when it comes to developing "local" players, look at Man Utd, Everton or Liverpool - all with very good Youth training programs as well as the Royals who also have a very well respected Youth program.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by illuminnaughty

Why the unrelated, offtopic swipe at the Royal Family? Seems you always try to shoehorn that in to most of your posts....

Only one ever wore a "nazi" uniform and it was to a fancy dress party. Jebus, I once went with a mate to a party dressed as Tony Blair (my mate was GWB) - it certainly doesn't mean I agree with their politics, it was just "funny".

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I think you should at least look again at the game- Yes, the Premier League's top sides have become billionaires play things full of "foreigners", but there are strict rules in place now which govern how many foreign players teams can have, how many must be homegrown and teams get a free pass on any U-21 player, by that I mean it doesn't take up a slot from their maximum 25 man squad, so there is now an incentive to develop youngsters. Aside from the biggest teams, most clubs actually rely heavily on their Youth programs to produce new players as most cannot afford the high price tags for imported ones.

Even the big teams do a lot when it comes to developing "local" players, look at Man Utd, Everton or Liverpool - all with very good Youth training programs as well as the Royals who also have a very well respected Youth program.

I think I will tbh I do love the sport and changes are being made to make it better as a whole, my brother is a football fanatic and is always boring me about how much it's changing for better now. Sunderland too has a impressive youth establishment last I looked, the problem I have seen with bigger clubs is "buying up" all the good youths so yeah you can get good local players but also from all over the country too. An old friend of mine was offered good deals to move to Celtic and Leeds youth academies... back when Leeds was still in the Prem.

Next season I'll start to get into actively supporting football again and see how it goes, never know I might get my arm twisted again
definatly worth another look at least
edit on 1-4-2013 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join