It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: UK - Firearm Officers Strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Over 120 firearms officers in the area of London are currently refusing to carry weapons. The situation has arisen through the suspension of two colleagues, who were suspended due to the death of Harry Stanley who died in 1999 when officers mistook the tableleg he was carrying in a bag to be a shotgun.

news.bbc.co.uk
More than 120 firearms officers in London are refusing to carry guns after two colleagues were suspended over a shooting, police representatives claim.

Harry Stanley, 46, was shot dead in 1999 after police mistook a table leg he was carrying for a shotgun.

An inquest on Friday returned a verdict of unlawful killing and Pc Kevin Fagan and Insp Neil Sharman were suspended.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Armed police are relied on in Britain to deal with armed suspects and extremely violent criminals as normal officers aren't armed.

The strike will result in the non-striking firearm officers being over stretched to deal with crimes that warrant the presence of firearm officers.

There might also be terrorist related risks due to the reduction in the number of armed officers who would be able to respond to a terrorist incident.

Related News Links:
www.sky.com

[edit on 2-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I wouldn�t worry about terrorist threat and the police not being able to respond to it that�s why we have special police force, army and the SAS to deal with that. But I think our police should find a better way to deal with this kind of situation. Yes I know they have to make a split decision but come on you supposed to be able to tell the difference between a table leg and a shotgun.

What's going to happen next a 12-year-old kid killed cause he was carrying a sandwich wrapped in tin foil?

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I suppose he's going to get blood on his sandwich. But, he probably deserved it. What was he thinking, carrying his sandwich around like that?

7, I really don't think you appreciate the circumstances officers are placed in.

[edit on 3-11-2004 by suspishus]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Just a question, what was this guy doing carrying a tableleg in is backpack? That just sounds a little bit strange.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If I recall, the guy was a carpenter or something, and have made the leg for somebody - or just collected it. Anyway, he must have waved it and police thought it was a sawn-off shotgun or something.

The concern for the police who went on strike was that they make quick life and death decisions. Now they could find themselves prosecuted for 'unlawfully' killing someone.

Suppose an officer in the future hesitates to make sure it really is a gun he is facing - that pause could cost him his life.

Chair leg or not - if an armed policeman shouts at me pointing his gun in my direction I'll comply 110%

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I suppose he's going to get blood on his sandwich. But, he probably deserved it. What was he thinking, carrying his sandwich around like that?

7, I really don't think you appreciate the circumstances officers are placed in.

Yes I do understand, that they have to make a split decision weather to kill or not and then afterwards have to deal with it. But you just said he's going to get blood on it so you find that police killing a 12 year old is funny? I don�t I'm not saying it would happen but still they killed a guy with a table leg didn�t they.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
If my perceptions of the crime situation in London are correct, then this is definitely not the best of news.

new topics

top topics

join