It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fat and getting fatter: U.S. obesity rates to soar by 2030

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
I find it really interesting that our food has been hijacked to poison us and harm our liver, our organs, and make weight gain and a host of other conditions, and then they have a microchip developed to curb appetite and promise weight loss.

THINK ABOUT IT.

I dont think our food is poisoned. Its our entire system. Starting with hollywood and ending with the so called experts that claim they can help you look like those in hollywood.

You know, the ones who say, you can lift weights and get huge like "Arnold" (yeah the guy who took steroids by the bucket but is some how a f***ng hero) "naturally" if you lift big and take this powdered crap. No! you can lift for days on days and eat whole chickens three times a day, and wash them down with a dozen eggs and you will not be as big as a guy and look like a guy,who took dianabol by the bucket.

Or you can get as skinny as Lendsy coke addict lohan if you eat this way. its easy, starve yourself and snort coke..
Eat seven "meals a day" no eat one meal a day
Dont eat fat no eat fat
Dont eat carbs no eat carbs
go vegetarian no (a diet that complicated is in no damn way natural).
salts bad no you'll die without it
caffeine's bad no itll stop cancer

it never f***ng ends

I wont talk about the kids. Honestly kids are better at listening to their bodies to meet there needs than most adults., its the adults that screw them up.

Most people don't have issues until they stop listening to their body's and try to manipulate their diet. With exception to those who just find pleasure in food.

IMO the biggest contributor to obesity is depression.
edit on 2-4-2013 by swimmer15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
reply to post by texasgirl

obesity is identical to alcoholism.

all the search for causes will come to no avail until
the obese person admits that they are the problem.

blaming lack of sidewalks....really you are smarter than that, at least in my experience.

I'm not blaming, I am merely pointing out a study that mentions lack of sidewalks in Dallas. Dallas is spread out, has farms in between suburbs, busy roads without sidewalks, cattle grazing next to a street of several corporations. It's very interesting so I can see why it was listed in a local study.

That being said, I totally agree about most obesity being an internal problem. Most successful weight loss involves a lifestyle change.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by swimmer15

As someone wiht chronic fatigue who barely eats enough to gain energy enough to do half mass things during the day, and who is forced to shop at the store and only can get some items organic, I know personally that the food is poisoned, it is GMO, it damages your organs and liver, as I have now, and leads to chronic conditions such as grout, arthritis, all before aged 50. And with a large family to tend. This is not a joke. They radiate and create toxic soup, and now they put agent orange pesticides directly in the dna , including short the nutrients and substitute gross things, like frog genes in tomatoes.

You can do the googling, I've already researched enough on this topic for a lifetime, thank you very much.

BUT they now have a solution: www.bbc.co.uk...

Microchip for obesity!

Problem!!!! Reaction!!!! Solution!!! ANd welcome to NWO microchipped fascism! All thanks to codex alimentarious and their control of food.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
www.youtube.com... *warning contains foul language*

That article totally reminded of this, and if the fat chip works, who is to say they wont "v-chip" for cussing too....

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by swimmer15

As someone wiht chronic fatigue who barely eats enough to gain energy enough to do half mass things during the day, and who is forced to shop at the store and only can get some items organic, I know personally that the food is poisoned, it is GMO, it damages your organs and liver, as I have now, and leads to chronic conditions such as grout, arthritis, all before aged 50. And with a large family to tend. This is not a joke. They radiate and create toxic soup, and now they put agent orange pesticides directly in the dna , including short the nutrients and substitute gross things, like frog genes in tomatoes.

You can do the googling, I've already researched enough on this topic for a lifetime, thank you very much.

BUT they now have a solution: www.bbc.co.uk...

Microchip for obesity!

Problem!!!! Reaction!!!! Solution!!! ANd welcome to NWO microchipped fascism! All thanks to codex alimentarious and their control of food.

Must also people who are not obese get a microchip?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Dont get the wrong Idea, I don't think its a joke. I just think the government is the biggest contributor to the problem and I don't want them messing with me on how to eat.
If you are as informed on diet as you say you are then Im sure you see how the government handles it. Shut down your garden! Dont drink raw milk! cut the fat off your steak! Dont raise your own chickens! etc! The more you let the government regulate things the more you are closing off your options to the very people your trying to avoid.

And I think that if you learn to listen to your body, it will tell you what it needs. Your body tells you not to eat the crap. When you eat crap, you feel like crap.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pslr2301

"Moderation"? Who are you and how did you get into this thread?

All things in moderation. Food. Drink. Along with any sort of activity that gets you moving, and you are unlikely to have a weight problem.

I'm a big guy pushing fifty years old. I weigh in the neighborhood of two hundred and seventy pounds. According to many measuring systems, I'm badly overweight... My last physical, my body fat was on the low end of normal. My blood pressure is as well. About the only real exercise I get at the moment, is work. Though my bicycle and I are becoming reacquainted...

I eat like a starving wolverine, but it's generally stuff I cook for myself. Little to no salt, try to limit my sugar intake, but ice cream, mt. dew, and kit kats are my bane...hopelessly addicted.

It's really no ones business what I eat, or how much.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Wow we really did NOT, repeat NOT see that coming did we?
Morbid endogenous obesity, the new epidemic of the 1990-2000's
it replaced alcohol and drugs and sex.

What did the fat woman say to the fat man after ***?
edit on 4-4-2013 by slugger9787 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin
Are you saying that there are no obese people, only fit people?

Negative - I am saying that BMI (a simple calculation of HT/WT) is no way to measure a person’s level of fitness. Being over the average weight for one's height doesn't equate to being fat or obese. A good number of people are built differently and carry more mass than others. As I said a good number of those people being some of the most physically fit I have ever known. US Army SF and SEALs and the like - few if any meet the HT/WT tables for "average" people.

High School kids - especially male football players and for females say volleyball players do not need another arbitrary measurement to be labeled and tagged by the government.

I have played different sports all my life, also on quite high level basketball and soccer.I can consider myself much more psycally capable than more than 90% of people, yet my BMI is 21-23 depending on the time of the year. Also I am not lean,naturally wider and weigh more due to larger build and stronger bones, and can bench press than most people out there.

There are different body types of course - one doesn't see very many 6'6" 300lb soccer players while collegiate and pro football teams have more than their fair share. I think you just have a different body type than mine. I am short and wide with a low center of gravity with basically no neck to speak of. Try finding shirts off the shelf for an 19" neck 48" chest and 32" arms with a 34" waist. To fit my neck and shoulders and chest I end up with about 2' of extra shirt tail they literally hang to my knees as they are cut for a man much taller. Thank god for the Army and their XL Short ACUs. They always have my size in stock -

I am not saying BMI is the best way to measure, although it is an easy way to determine whether a person is overweight or not, if the person is not very athletic. For considering absolutely everybody in also fat % and other factors have to be dealt in, but for the average person BMI is enough

I'm sure there is a bell curve that some egg heads have figured out like with everything there are exceptions. I do think; however, that this HT/WT data is outdated. 30 years ago the average man was 5'9" and weighed 160 or so. While today it’s up to 5'10/11" and 175 or so.

I do think that there needs to be some provisions in the measurements for people who are otherwise fit but exceed the BMI for their HT/WT. Also, I think labeling kids based on some arbitrary averages is not a good idea. Sometimes people; especially children become exactly what we expect them to be or what we label them. Label a kid a challenged reader early on and he/she may never be anything else. Label them obese, likewise. Kids (and Soldiers too) use labels as a crutch to justify their behavior.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I remember in this thread there were questions why should the government do something about growing obesity

Although France is an example of a government coming in that area.

In order to promote healthy nutrition ketchup, mayonnese, salad dressings were banned from the schools and colleges. No home meals are allowed to be eaten at schools. Also lots of healthy foods were introduced to school cafeterias.

Sugary sodas are taxed.

www.nydailynews.com...
digitaljournal.com...

Here for example, schools are not legally allowed to sell sodas in their territory etc.

I personally love the laws in France
I hope these will be introduced here also soon

edit on 14-4-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I see this all the time, people not just 'plump' or heavy
but flat out no other way to put it, in your face FAT.

What bothers me is none of them seem to have any self
respect, its not bothering them that they are 100 pounds over
weight, or more, that i dont get. I love food just like the next person,
but i myself could not allow my body to bloat up like that, its a personal
pride thing, sure a little is ok, would prefer all muscle but we cant have
everything we want. But some of the people you see you just wonder how
do they live with them self, i mean, you dont wake up one day and surprise
you are super fat, it takes years, and some time during that time they
have to have seen a mirror or two... where are the internal alarm bells
where is the self pride, self respect, and back bone to say "Nope, i'm
getting to big, its time to cut back and get back to a decent size.".

I see some people such as my ex, 5' 8" close to 300 lbs, now call me odd
but those numbers do not belong together. i even asked her, how did you
allow this, no real response, she gave me the same copout excuses most
overweight do.. "I have big bones.." to which i replied, so you have bones
in your butt cheeks? I just dont understand how one can allow it to happen.
i'm not a perfect shape person, never claimed to be, but i have limits that i
will allow and wont allow. Where are these peoples limits?

Is the instant gratification that our country has turned into the blame?
they want junk food now, and if they cant loose weight now, well then
why mess with it.

It has me puzzled as to what happened to people along the way, where did
the mental controls go that make us stop and say.. hmmm no this is not me..
time to fix this.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I personally love the laws in France
I hope these will be introduced here also soon

There is always the other option - moving to France where the laws are more in line with your thinking....

I suppose that would be less invasive than insisting that your idea of what is right be imposed on others against their will.

Then again, that is not very progressive...

Forcing others to do "what is good for them" against their will is progress?

I call that tyrannical but to each his own.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Economy collapses. People afford less food. Problem solved.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I HAVE STARTED A FUND AT WELLS FARGO BANK IN DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES FOR YOUR ONE WAY PLANE TICKET TO FRANCE.

The account number is xxx-xxx-x2161.

Please do not attempt to withdraw any funds from here until the balance is above the cost of the ticket.
I also still have to make arrangements with the local grade schools to solicit donations for you.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

You do not have to be sarcastic.

If you read any of my previous posts in this thread, you would see I am not American.Don´t shoot the messenger.

Although I was surprised to get opposing comments to:

The future seems not the brightest in that field either. I guess if the government or states do not start promoting healthier attitude or making laws which would prevent obesity, the predicted future will become reality, as I doubt many people will change their attitude towards health and overally the behaviour and attitude by society will influence the attitude and behaviour of individuals.

The cultures are simply too different from each other. In lots of European nations it is not uncommon and sometimes even expected from the government to take action in such matters.

In December 2003, the World Health Organization (WHO) suggested that nations consider taxing foods high in fat, sugar and salt to encourage people to make healthier food choices.

In January 2010, the Romanian Government announced the possible introduction of a tax that would impact on foods that are high in fats, salt, sugars and additives. EPHA sent an Open Letter to the Romanian Government expressing support as a bold move to tackle the epidemic of overweight, obesity and diet-related diseases in Europe. Unfortunately, the initiative did not go through.

In 2011, Denmark introduced the first worldwide tax on saturated fats (meat, cheese, butter, margarine, snacks, etc.) equivalent to 2.15 euros per kg of saturated fat. By implementing this tax, Denmark intends to decrease the consumption levels by 4%.

From 2011, Finland restored taxes on sweets (candies, chocolate, cocoa-based products, ice cream, ice lollies etc.) that existed until 1999 (0.75 euros per kg). The existing taxes on soft drinks was also increased (from 4.5 cents to 7.5 cents per litre)and its scope was widened to cover further categories of beverages. Following on from the Danish implementation of the first tax on saturated fat, Finland (and Sweden) is considering implementing a similar tax.

In September 2011, Hungary increased a tax on a series of unhealthy products: certain soft drinks, energy drinks, pre-packed sweetened products, salty snacks and condiments. EPHA sent an Open Letter to the Hungarian government expressing its support for the initiative. It is expected that the money raised will be used to fund the national healthcare system that has been strongly affected by the economic crisis.

On 24 August 2011, the French Government announced the possible introduction of a tax to apply on sugar-sweetened drinks (sodas in French). EPHA Press Release (in FR and in EN). In a surprising move, members of the French Parliament not only voted (on 21 October 2011) in favour of the pre-discussed tax but also doubled the initial threshold and included artificially sweetened drinks that were previously exempted of the scope. Thus, from 1st January 2012, a rate of €7.16 per hectolitre will apply to all beverages with added sugar or with artificial sweeteners (fruit juices with added sugars, water, carbonated drinks containing added sugar).

In September 2011, the Health Minister of Ireland, Dr James Reilly, announced that he was considering introducing a sugar tax on sugar-sweetened drinks. .

A tax on sugar and chocolate is implementd in Norway.

The UK is also discussing the introduction of a tax similar to the Danish fat tax. .

www.epha.org...

In many other nations there have also been discussions on the matter and it is often seen as necessary.

About France, I respect their food culture and the actions they have taken, although I am not considering living there. I like the climate here more.

You can educate yourself on the French culture in this thread :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Bluesma and Rodinus, who are living there, made some really nice posts there.

Overally I believe schools should influence the eating habits of kids. If you gave the kids too much choice, they would eat 100% of their meals consisting of fast food, chips and sodas and they grow up too picky.

Most grown-ups here would have nothing against taxing hard on sweets,fatty foods, sodas and fast-food. It is being proposed a lot, although the government has done nothing yet. That would enable lower taxes on healthy foods. Currently the sales tax is flat, 21% for everything. Overally the propaganda on health is positive. The campaigns are strong usually and the education on the matter is good. Public transport, walking and bicycle roads are made better and using a car is made harder in the cities. Soon the taxes will also come hopefully. Obesity is not a problem here yet and we want to make sure it will never become one
No country can afford universal healthcare when a large % of people are overweight.
edit on 15-4-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

One of the unbridled seven deadly sins
feeds the five big addictions:
Alcohol
Drugs
Food
Sex
Money

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
If you eat in moderation, and do some sort of physical activity each day then you won't have to worry about gaining weight or getting fat. Sure the GMO crap might not be optimal for one's health but I personally think that it's being used as a scapegoat as to why our country is the fattest in the world.

Almost everything I eat comes from Wal-Mart and all those "evil" big chain stores. I eat in moderation, and have fast food at least twice per month but I get up every morning at 6am and go jogging. for at least 2 hours. I'm 22, 6'1 and 165lbs. I can run a mile in 7 minutes.

tl;dr: Eat in moderation, do some physical activity and you won't get fat.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
A cafe in town just hired a cook who used to weigh half a ton.
edit on 29-4-2013 by slugger9787 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join