It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fat and getting fatter: U.S. obesity rates to soar by 2030

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Found this article: www.reuters.com...

If Americans stick to their eating and exercise habits, future historians will look back on the early 21st century as a golden age of svelte.

The "F as in Fat" report highlights the current glum picture of the U.S. obesity epidemic, in which 35.7 percent of adults and 16.9 percent of children age 2 to 19 are obese, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported earlier this year.

But for the first time, the report builds on state-by-state data from the CDC to project obesity rates. In every state, that rate will reach at least 44 percent by 2030. In 13, that number would exceed 60 percent.

I just do not get it. 35,7% means that more than 1 in 3 adults is not even overweight, but obese. I wonder what would the % be if also overweight was counted in?. A person is overweight when his/her´s BMI is over 25. 30+ means obese. I would have to gain over 60 pounds to reach the point where I could be considered obese.

The future seems not the brightest in that field either. I guess if the government or states do not start promoting healthier attitude or making laws which would prevent obesity, the predicted future will become reality, as I doubt many people will change their attitude towards health and overally the behaviour and attitude by society will influence the attitude and behaviour of individuals.
edit on 31-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
hell yah man im trying to get super fat myself.. I was watching what I ate then I was like pfft.. why the world is going to hell I might as well go out fat and happy

FOOD!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Five big addictions in America:
ALCOHOL
DRUGS
SEX
FOOD
MONEY

Alcohol has taken a big hit over the past thirty years with tougher DUI/DWI laws and MADD and SADD.
Drugs have taken a big hit the past thirty years with DRUG wars.
Sex has taken a big hit the past thirty years with STD's AIDS' HIV, STI's
(85% of prison population is there for addiction to alcohol or drugs, 11% are in prison for sex crimes 11+84=96% are there for three of the five big addictions)
That leaves FOOD AND MONEY.

WE ARE OBESE GAMBLERS.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

What is obese? I looked over the article and "NOPE" nothing saying what their benchmark was for declaring it!

Also, the MSM can whine and promote anti obesity all they want. I want to see some studies on the adverse health effects of High Fructose Corn Syrup and Artificial sweeteners!!!!!

Could it be that the obesity problems are due to eating the garbage promoted by Multinational Food Company's are full of garbage and poison????

Just as the MSM and government are covering up the SSRI's being used by people who are snapping and killing innocent people, they are also covering up the damage being done to people from the huge corporations using man made chemicals in most of the food we buy!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Sounds like you voted for Obama
as much blaming as you are doing.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

Sounds like you voted for Obama
as much blaming as you are doing.

Sounds like you work for the government!

Do you have anything to dispute what I said?

Plus you obviously are not very astute or familiar with anything I have ever posted! If you were, you would realize how stupid your post looks!

edit on 31-3-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

BTW, I see you made a thread on mind control! You might want to re read it!

edit on 31-3-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

We have to ask... what has changed? What is different today... when it comes to our food, that is so much different than say, just 30 years ago?

Speaking for myself, I can easily remember that, for one, dinner was cooked at home and food portions served were smaller. You might ask for seconds every now and again but not as a nightly habit. Moreover, those home cooked meals included more fresh veggies and meats as opposed to things like shells & cheese and packaged, precooked meats.

Then you just have to look at the ingredients on food stuffs today. They are loaded with sugar and salt in amounts that simply don't make sense. And if you make an effort to shop for items with less salt and sugar, you find the availability limited and the prices sometimes almost double.

Finally, we've become a buffet society that likes to eat out until our guts are so stuffed that we can barely fit back into the car we drove up in.

Hey, this is a conspiracy website and if you want one to chew on with your potato chips... think about how so many of our foods today come from fewer sources. Companies like ConAgra own so many brand names that once earned the trust of the consumer. But one in particular, Kraft, has begun putting sugar in everything they make.

Grow a garden (if Monsanto will let you) and eat from it. Cook your dinners at home... and if you never learned how... it's not that hard.

That way, you at least have some small say at what you take in.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Don't forget! There was a time where "pleasingly plump" was quite the rage.

Being "healthy" was a sign of wealth due to the perception at the time was that a woman whom had some meat on her bones was VERY attractive!

Fast forward to today, where the sexiest women look like they are starving to death.

I agree with everything you said, but just had to add that little bit of history for the young'uns that are not familiar with history......

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by Cabin

What is obese? I looked over the article and "NOPE" nothing saying what their benchmark was for declaring it!

Also, the MSM can whine and promote anti obesity all they want. I want to see some studies on the adverse health effects of High Fructose Corn Syrup and Artificial sweeteners!!!!!

Could it be that the obesity problems are due to eating the garbage promoted by Multinational Food Company's are full of garbage and poison????

Just as the MSM and government are covering up the SSRI's being used by people who are snapping and killing innocent people, they are also covering up the damage being done to people from the huge corporations using man made chemicals in most of the food we buy!

Read again.

Obesity is defined as having a body mass index (BMI) above 30. Overweight means a BMI of 25 to 29.9. BMI is calculated by taking weight in pounds and dividing it by the square of height in inches, and multiplying the result by 703. For instance, someone who is 5 feet, 5 inches tall and weighs 185 pounds (84 kg) has a BMI of 30.8.

I have lived in USA for a while - 4 months and as far as I can say, it is not the corporations, but simply people, who are behind their obesity.
I noticed several differences what it is from here:

1) Drinking a lot of soda. I have probably never drank so much soda, than many people would drink in a year.Also people do not drink that much water as we do.
2) Fatty foods and large portions. Everything is bigger in America.I considered myself needing lots of food compared to other friends of mine. Yet in America I could not eat the portions, when ate outside. It was simply too much for my stomach. Also the foods in cafetereias where I ate were fattier overally.

3) Cheap fastfood and many people do not cook much. I saw too often, how people simply ordered food. I have never ordered food. I may sometimes take a burger or too, maybe once a month or less, but truly I nearly never eat outside. Eating outside is rare for most people, only lunch at work is in some cafeteria, unless own food is taken to work, which many do. Everybody cooks their own food from scratch round here, nearly always.

4) Not much movement and too much using cars.People take cars even for small trips. There is not as much jogging, especially biking as round here. Overally people seem to walk less.

These were the first things that came in my mind, probably there are more. Just do not bother thinking right now.

You may wait for these studies for ages and at the end die from heart attack. The fact I know is every person whom I know, who eats a lot of sweets, is fat. I do not know any person who eats normally, average portion and also does sports and is fat.

That is one of the problems with many Americans . Too much proof is wanted. It is a fact, that different sweets and fatty foods have lots of calories and too much of calory intake makes a person gain weight. Nothing else is needed to eat well, easy. Being overweight directly links to different diseases. Higher cholesterole, blood pressure can lead to diseases. Simple and easy.

There are many researches which take a look at the substances you asked about, first ones that came up in Google :

HFCS: www.princeton.edu...
Artifical: www.health.harvard.edu...

When something can cause cancer or is linked to it, that enough reason to avoid it, not to wait for indefinite results. Many people die from cancer while waiting... I remember my biology teacher teaching us this: Read the label, the more words you can not understand, the unhealthier the food is. Anything artificial is not good for health in foods. The best is still organic

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

My apologies for missing the BMI.

With that being said, I can speak from experience on how misleading the BMI is!

When I was in the Army, I had a CO who had it out for me, (yea, I was a smart ass then, and am a smart ass now) I had less than 5 months left on my contract and he decided to put me on the "weight program"! Yea, I love my beer and it showed. So anyhow, I had to go see a doctor and the doctor told me I had to lose 20 lbs.......

No biggy. I had six weeks to do it. So I did my thing and in six weeks I went back to the doctor and lost 25 LBS! Now the doctor was ecstatic that I accomplished this! (first hint) My First Sergeant was ecstatic that I lost it! (second hint) HOWEVER!!!!!! My BMI didn't cut it!

There fore my CO tried to have me discharged over a medical issue! NO DICE! I fought him and won!

So to use BMI as a reason to call someone obese is utter BS!!

1) Drinking a lot of soda. I have probably never drank so much soda, than many people would drink in a year. I do not know much people who prefer to

Now as you addressed sodas! What are in them? Ohhhhhh, I don't know, maybe just maybe some HFC and Aspertame???

2) Fatty foods and large portions. Everything is bigger in America.I considered myself needing lots of food compared to other friends of mine. Yet in America I could not eat the portions, when ate outside. It was simply too much for my stomach. Also the foods in cafetereias where I ate were fattier overally.

No argument there!

3) Cheap fastfood and many people do not cook much. I saw too often, how people simply ordered food. I have never ordered food. I may sometimes take a burger or too, maybe once a month or less, but truly I nearly never eat outside. Eating outside is rare for most people, only lunch at work is in some cafeteria, unless own food is taken to work, which many do. Everybody cooks their own food from scratch round here, nearly always.

Can't argue that either! However, I have to say, can you see the connection to Multi National corporations and the fact they push their "dollar menus" to goad people into saving money? I must say, I will not buy anything with HFC OR Artificial sweeteners in it. Vegetables..............my God man. To buy fresh, they cost almost as much or more than a good piece of meat!!! See where I am going????

4) Not much movement and too much using cars.People take cars even for small trips. There is not as much jogging, especially biking as round here. Overally people seem to walk less.

Quite true! But there is a big difference between living in a city and walking a few block to a market, versus walking miles to the nearest grocery store for a person living in a rural area!

Now you go into calories and such, but I can see you do not understand "empty calories". Which buy the way are the "cheaper", "affordable" products that a lot of struggling families are forced to purchase!

You have some valid points, but you also are lacking some understanding.

Do some people buy junk food that can afford better quality foods? Sure they do! But there are others who try to stretch what they got to feed their family who unfortunately do not have much choice BUT to buy unhealthy food.

It isn't as black and white as some people want to think it is when they so nonchalantly call a person fat and want to say it is because they are lazy or they eat too much!

Maybe,,,,,JUST maybe, instead of people calling people fat and making fun of them, they ought to at LEAST look at some of the underlying circumstances that these people might be facing just to survive!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I suppose I don't mind much if the government publicizes studies that say weighing too much is bad for our health. I expect that that is taught in schools. But then we come to this:

I guess if the government or states do not start promoting healthier attitude or making laws which would prevent obesity, the predicted future will become reality, as I doubt many people will change their attitude towards health and overally the behaviour and attitude by society will influence the attitude and behaviour of individuals.
Why? Why should the government be making laws to prevent obesity? Why is it their business? After all (just as an example and please don't derail the thread), women have said for decades that health decisions are between them and their doctors. The government musn't interfere with abortion rights. And that involves, arguably, another human. Weight is a decision that people can make by themselves. Leave it between them and their doctors.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Why? Why should the government be making laws to prevent obesity? Why is it their business? After all (just as an example and please don't derail the thread), women have said for decades that health decisions are between them and their doctors. The government musn't interfere with abortion rights. And that involves, arguably, another human. Weight is a decision that people can make by themselves. Leave it between them and their doctors

Wow! You said a mouthful in those few sentences my friend!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I guess if the government or states do not start promoting healthier attitude or making laws which would prevent obesity, the predicted future will become reality, as I doubt many people will change their attitude towards health and overally the behaviour and attitude by society will influence the attitude and behaviour of individuals.

Laws to prevent obesity??

Are you out of your mind? Have you heard of the constitution?

It’s unbelievable what some people think these days…and the complete lack of understanding of the process of lawmaking (and/or freedom).

How old are you? Under 21 I’d presume…

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
For one, BMI is a ridiculous and wildly inaccurate unit of measure. Perhaps it’s an indictor for a fat or skinny person. But I’m muscular and not fat yet, according to the BMI I’m bordering on overweight. Skin folds and body fat percentages are the way to go.

In any case, have people no pride in themselves? To allow yourself to become overweight and then obese is just about inexcusable. Bitch, whine and moan all you like about having some “medical condition” or “bad genes” but the simple truth is that overweight/obese people are just plain afraid of physical work and when it comes to food and the like are just simply dumb as dog sh!t. It’s that easy! Afraid to work (lazy) and just f*cking stupid.

It truly is not hard to work out for 30-60min a day and to eat a healthy balanced diet. It really isn’t difficult. People who complain about having no time to go for a walk or go to the gym - harden the f*ck up and make the time! I’m sure the health problems you’ll have in the near future will take up more of your time than exercising. On top of that, if you don’t have any accidents or things like that, you’ll most probably add years to your life. Rather than fall over at the age of 55 because your heart has just exploded due to all the clogged up arteries. Or you leave it too late, give yourself diabetes and have a leg amputated.

One third of America is obese... It’s the biggest preventable killer in the world. And all it takes to eliminate it is education and an 30+min a day... Very small price to pay for any extra 20-30 years of life, few hospital visits and a far better feeling of wellbeing. But unfortunately it’s almost considered cool to eat processed sh!t and not exercise. Eat a f*cking salad. It’s not girly, it’s healthy (provided you don’t add a dressing full of fat, sugar and salt like caesar sauce or ranch).

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Why? Why should the government be making laws to prevent obesity? Why is it their business?

CHARLES! Good to see you, old friend!

***Back on topic***
Government shouldn’t make such laws. How stupid was it when Bloomberg decided to tell the people of NY how much soda they could purchase with money they earned and paid taxes on (to the state and the fed)??

We live in a growing police state…and the new generation of kool aid drinkers appear to be worse than the previous.

edit on 31-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I just stole that pic to send to a friend of mine in NY!!!

To stay on topic, I agree!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by Cabin

I suppose I don't mind much if the government publicizes studies that say weighing too much is bad for our health. I expect that that is taught in schools. But then we come to this:

Why? Why should the government be making laws to prevent obesity? Why is it their business? After all (just as an example and please don't derail the thread), women have said for decades that health decisions are between them and their doctors. The government musn't interfere with abortion rights. And that involves, arguably, another human. Weight is a decision that people can make by themselves. Leave it between them and their doctors.

Laws might wrong word for it, take action is better.

In here for example: you can go with a bicycle to anywhere, special roads are built. Public transportation system is free of charge, buses go every 10 minutes, over 80 bus lines. Special lines have been assigned to buses to make faster travel. Cars are not allowed to use them and have to stay in traffic jam, we often have only 2 lines in a street. One is for all the cars, one is for bus
. Overally getting around by car is being made harder, higher taxes on gas and so on. People often choose walking simply to save money on gas.

By laws, some sweeteners are no allowed to use. It has come up every once in a while to tax sweets and fatty foods. Finland for example taxes sweets. Alcohol is already taxed . . Even fat people tax has been considered. Obesity=extra tax, as obese people are more prone to health and statistically government pays much more for their irresponsible behaviour as the healthcare is universal. Nobody could push it through as law though. Although overally speaking by using extra taxes on foods which are not good for health overally,people still have a choice. Although it would be very expensive to eat lots of sweets, so many people limit their intake, which is overally good for society.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Why government should prevent?First ones that come to mind
1) More ill-prone people. Less productive at work environment
2) More money spent on curing diseases which come from overweight
3) Worse image of the country internationally if lots of overweight people
4) Healthy people tend to be happier overally

Good luck!

After the ignorance of those statements, enjoy your fat bashing thread! Is ATS about denying ignorance OR promoting it??

In your case, you seem to be the latter!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Why government should prevent?First ones that come to mind
1) More ill-prone people. Less productive at work environment
2) More money spent on curing diseases which come from overweight
3) Worse image of the country internationally if lots of overweight people
4) Healthy people tend to be happier overally

Lets get back to the basics….

What in the hell gives the government the authority to PREVENT these things?

You never answered my questions about the constitution and your understanding of law making and freedom (or how young your are
).

Please explain where government has the authority to tell Americans what weight they must maintain.

edit on 31-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
BMI is garbage. Nearly every athlete from bodybuilder to the NFL is overweight to obese by BMI numbers. At 5'9" 175 lbs 11% bf I am overweight by BMI standards. 11 years in the military as a rescue swimmer I never once fell in the normal range. I did before winter though after my 4th marathon, I looked kind of like Christian Bale below , back up to nice plump overweight 175 now.

edit on 31-3-2013 by swimmer15 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join