It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give This Salad A Toss

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
So I've been eating much healthier this year, and tonight I had this exact salad for dinner. With Easter here (or in an hour or so), many people will make traditional and newfangled salads for brunches. This one is super easy. Get the kids to help, just make sure they wash their hands and let mommy or daddy do the cutting.

1 bag mixed greens, extra carrots if possible (I realize I lose points for not having 3 kinds of lettuce handy, but I live by myself so bag salad it is)
5 plum tomatoes, halved
1/2 cucumber, sliced (peeling optional)
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 apple, Pink Lady, cored and sliced (peeling optional)
1/2 cup red grapes, seedless
1/3 cup cashew halves, crushed (this can be done in a ziploc bag with a coffee mug)
3 oz. queso fresco, crumbled

Dressing: equal parts French and Italian. Mix well in a separate bowl, serve on the side

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

That sounds delicious!
I like to make a salad with 2/3 iceburg lettuce
1/3 spring mix
Shredded carrots
cranberries
shredded cheddar cheese
3-5 cherry tomatoes
apple slices
Grilled chicken, sliced
served with Raspberry vinaigrette.
edit on 29-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Nice!

I'm all about clear dressings tho.

Oils, herbs, garlic, pepper, different vinegars...etc. Just a personal preference because of the healthy aspect.

If you want a thicker cream based dressing, start with a plain yogurt and dress it up! Or a minimal sour cream base.

Peace

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

French and Italian dressing mixed? Hmm, I'm definitely going to have to try that! That sounds like a good dip for carrots as well as a dressing for salads.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Nice! I do enjoy some grilled chicken with salad as well. Usually when I do chicken, I make a "bad" salad with bacon and ranch dressing.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I'm looking into making my own dressings. I also enjoy just plain oil and vinegar too. I'm not really picky with salads, just no boiled eggs or bleu cheese please.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

It's tasty! I suggest the brand Western for the French dressing. It's got just the right tang to compliment the garlic from the Italian.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by DaTroof

That sounds like a good dip for carrots.

#checksum error.

Does not compute.

Mayday Mayday.

... What does that mean? "good dip for carrots" ? sounds like some sort of incantation to summon the devil.

Dip for carrots?

Is this for children, to draw with, sort of like when you cut a potato in half and use it as a stamp?

oO

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Now that spring has arrived...(for me anyway) it is time for lots of salads...and I am frequently looking for new recipes; and this one sounds delicious! I am going to try it...very soon.

Now for a little salad humor...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

LOL
Who says carrots have to be dipped in dressing? Hummus and carrots make for one great afternoon.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
double whisky
ice
lemon
serve

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

LOL! no, no, no. As a kid we'd dip our carrots in italian dressing and eat them, I still do it. It's very good. Give it a try sometime.
edit on 30-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Dressing: equal parts French and Italian. Mix well in a separate bowl, serve on the side

That's funny I'm myself part Italian and part french. lol

I make my own dressing - it's rather easy. About 2 TBS of olive oil, with a dash of spice, some mayonnaise (to smooth the thing up), a couple of drop of lemon, I also add a bit of chill sauce for the spice, and sometimes dijon. All in the TBS range - proportions may vary depending on my mood.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by swan001

That sounds really good. Im going to try that within the next few days.

top topics

join