It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neighbor complains about a Marine Flying his Flag...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
A U.S. Marine was ordered to take down a flag pole and flag he put up outside his rented Florida home this week after a neighbor complained to local officials. Seems he did not secure a "permit" to put up the flag pole, which is being considered a "structure".

Neight Protests U.S. Marine's Flag

I mean, seriously, must the gubbament have issue with a U.S. Marine, or anyone for that matter, flying the U.S. flag in their OWN yard? Why must you petition and PAY for erecting a flippin' flag pole and flag?
Love the Marine's response to his neighbor. Class act right there.
edit on 29-3-2013 by lovebeck because: Fox Spews article states he is renting his home...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
He needs his American flag and this one while sitting on his front porch with a shot gun.

A retired navy special ops guy lives right up the street from me and has one.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Bloody ridiculous ... the marine should be able to fly the flag on his property anytime he wants .. too bad he has anal retentive neighbors who insist on controlling what others do on their own PRIVATE property ... things like that make me damn happy I dont have neighbors ...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I totally agree. I hope someone outs this anonymous neighbor for this nonsense. Thank God we're lucky to have decent neighbors that do not stick their nose into other peoples business.

The original article did not report he was a mere renter, I found that info. on Fox Spews. Anyhow, as a renter, he would have had to hire a contractor to install the flag pole, which would cost him over a $1,000 bucks, for the labor and permits.

I hope some nice Florida contractor helps him out. Not only is this ABSOLUTELY ridiculous, it is a crime that it would cost him that much money to put up the flag that he defended!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Whilst the neighbor is probably a fool, if there is a law saying you need a permit, then what gives a marine or any other citizen the right to expect any different treatment as anyone else breaking the law, no matter if that law is stupid.

You make it sound like he has a right just because he's a marine. Marines are not special human beings, they are subject t the same laws when they retire from service.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Can't be an anonymous neighbour to the marine if the neighbour knew he didn't have a permit for the flag pole.

But don't you just love the bureaucratic tape that requires you to ask 'permission' before doing anything?
We have the same # here in Australia...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
Whilst the neighbor is probably a fool, if there is a law saying you need a permit, then what gives a marine or any other citizen the right to expect any different treatment as anyone else breaking the law, no matter if that law is stupid.

You make it sound like he has a right just because he's a marine. Marines are not special human beings, they are subject t the same laws when they retire from service.

Because it's his right to do so.

A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.

www.ushistory.org...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The city official says that he is only upholding the rules. I think that that rule should be changed. Why do we need a permit to fly an American flag in America. Making rules like that should be against the law.

The person who complained to the city should be drafted into the military no matter who they are. The city officials who passed these rules should also be put into combat so they appreciate the flag more.

I am very patriotic of our country even though I disagree with the way that it is being run over the last twenty or so years.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
If it's an issue with the pole,fine,comply to it and hang a flag on every square inch of the house.
I'm so glad I don't have neighbors like that.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Umm, no, if you read my post, I clearly stated anyone, not just the Marine. I also never stated he deserved "special treatment" so please stop tying to change/spin what I did post.

It's probably safe to say you're one of "those types" that make everyone's business your own and would also be the type that would "call the law" on anyone, anytime you felt necessary.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by lovebeck

I think if you serve this Country, you should be honored, not dishonored.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
The city official says that he is only upholding the rules. I think that that rule should be changed. Why do we need a permit to fly an American flag in America. Making rules like that should be against the law.

The person who complained to the city should be drafted into the military no matter who they are. The city officials who passed these rules should also be put into combat so they appreciate the flag more.

I am very patriotic of our country even though I disagree with the way that it is being run over the last twenty or so years.

He should be drafted into the military for pointing out a violation of the law?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I think the issue is with the pole and not with the flag. Anyone can fly an american flag without any kind of permit, heck I have one on my porch.

But if I were to get a flag pole I would need a permit so they can make sure it won't land on my neighbor's house during a storm.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Because it's his right to do so.

A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.

www.ushistory.org...

Who said this was the doing of "a condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association?"

Sounds like a local or state law to me.

Some people don't like patriotism/nationalism. Some people just see people as people, no matter which country they come from. And some people don't worship the military industrial complex. In the good ol' US of A, it's a person's right to think in such a manner. Don't agree? - Your viewpoint is YOUR viewpoint alone, not all of America's.

Respect the law. This marine understood that perfectly well. He didn't try to come up with excuses, say he was done a great disservice, or stomp his feet and pout. He said he understood it's the law and he respected that. Period. You could learn a thing or two from him.
edit on 30-3-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

I think if you serve this Country, you should be honored, not dishonored.

I think many people have many different opinions.

I also think there are a million definitions of "respect" and "disrespect."

Try being less ambiguous, "writer."

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Bloody ridiculous ... the marine should be able to fly the flag on his property anytime he wants .. too bad he has anal retentive neighbors who insist on controlling what others do on their own PRIVATE property ... things like that make me damn happy I dont have neighbors ...

He rents.

It isn't his private property.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ezwip

Originally posted by rickymouse

He should be drafted into the military for pointing out a violation of the law?

Why was a law written that interferes with a citizens flying a US flag properly. I can see a law against putting one upside down but only to be enforced if it was intentional. We are all citizens of America here. The flag, although just a piece of cloth, is a representative of the good of our country. For those who do not recognize the good of our country, maybe they should move to another third world country and experience the poverty and lack of rights in those countries.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Our nation is now a collection of small, petty municipal tyrannies that allow people to inflict themselves on their neighbors. We've lost our national spirit... the brotherhood (and sisterhood for the sensitive) of a people who honor those who served and respecting those who still want to show their pride in what was once a land of the free.

Damned shame...

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Wow, over reactions galore in here.

"HERP DERP FREEDOM. HERP DERP PRIVATE PROPERTY. HERP DERP MIND YER OWN BUSINESS."

This is just another one of those articles made to rile up the hard core patriots who get into a twist every time something involves the flag.

The guy put up a flag pole without a permit, on a property he rents, in a neighborhood that probably has a home owners association. Sure, it's a petty thing to report the guy for something so minor - but as a neighbor I know I'd want to make sure it was put up correctly and not just slammed in the ground by some dude with no experience.

You also have to consider the fact that in a suburb like that you are just a few paces away from your neighbors house - so whatever goes on on the surrounding properties -is- your business whether you want it to be or not. And it's the reason rules like this are in place.

The people in this thread seem more outraged than the guy in the video - which shows that the article served its intended purpose.
edit on 30-3-2013 by Morgenstern89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Morgenstern89

You also have to consider the fact that in a suburb like that you are just a few paces away from your neighbors house - so whatever goes on on the surrounding properties -is- your business whether you want it to be or not. And it's the reason rules like this are in place.

Let's look at this like neighbors. You live next door to me... not up my wahzoo but close enough so that when I mow my grass, you can hear the engine in your home with all the windows shut and the A/C on. (If you live in Florida, you will have A/C and it will be on in the summer when I am cutting my lawn.)

Now then, I go out in the middle of my front yard, dig a small hole to pour a small foundation to hold a flag pole. On that flag pole, I have a US flag.

Okee dokee... please explain how my American flag on a modest pole in my yard, afflicts your life to the point that you feel compelled to sic the city tyranny upon me.

Not looking for an argument... just trying to delve your application of reasoning.

Thanks

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join