It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neighbor complains about a Marine Flying his Flag...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by Morgenstern89

As far as I can see, this has nothing to do with an American Flag in a guys hard. This has everything to do with using an American Flag to push a relatively boring story onto the front page of the local news. A lot of buzz words - Marine, Veteran, Iraq, American Flag, Fight - all used to rile people up over a very benign situation. Plain and simple - the dude didn't get the right permits. That is literally -all there is- to this story. And because he's renting, he apparently needs a third party to do it - and yeah, that's going to cost him some money. It's just one of those things that comes with renting I guess. If he'd gone about it the right way there would be no story here.

The story should be about city permits and not the ability of a service vet to fly an American flag in his yard from a modest pole?

Wow, you should run for mayor someplace where mailboxes must meet certain construction standards, grass is mowed from a preassigned schedule, kids swim and play according to approval and you are not allowed to wash your own car in your driveway.

I'm not saying the story should be about city permits - I'm saying there should be no story at all - because there is nothing worthy of a story here.

He didn't get the permits he needed. Plain and simple. The same way I'd need a permit to build a shed, he needs a permit for a pole. It sucks, sure, but that's how it is.

No one's stopping him from flying his flag, he just has to go about it like all the rest of us do.

I'm sorry... I have a hard time believing that there are real people who could hold that opinion but... this wonderful 21st century surprises me everyday... which is okay, you are welcome to it

Thanks for the reply

edit on 30-3-2013 by redoubt because: retype

And I have a hard time believing that there are real people who are so easily tricked by articles like that which are made specifically to get people to react emotionally when they see buzzwords instead of looking at the facts and reacting logically.
edit on 30-3-2013 by Morgenstern89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rom12345
I must say I find overt displays nationalism a bit disturbing.

You find it disturbing if people show pride in their national heritage?

Not if they also display shame for their national heritage in equal measure. Then they are just well-balanced individuals.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lovebeck

Well when the # hits the fan and his nabor needs help, this person WILL be left behind. Hope that ass is ready

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
ya - and his neighbor is too wimpy to go talk to the guy.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
“Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious”
― Oscar Wilde

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
he should just wrap the whole building in them, every window. It is really pathetic and I feel for what this defender must feel inside.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

Originally posted by sonnny1

I think if you serve this Country, you should be honored, not dishonored.

I think many people have many different opinions.

I also think there are a million definitions of "respect" and "disrespect."

Try being less ambiguous, "writer."

I didn't "know" you were teaching today?

BTW, Since you are "teaching", can you point me to the MILLION definitions you so call know?

Thanks.....

The apple is on the table.
edit on 30-3-2013 by sonnny1 because: Million needed to stand out.....

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This so doesn't surprise me. I'm in FL and my neighbor had the neighbor below him call the police because he had a flag hanging up!! She called 911 over it, crazy much?! Bitter old people here I tell ya. She was told there is no law against it and he has every right to hang a flag outside if he feels like it that is til the condo association was called and they told him he wasn't allowed. So yea the city said it wasn't a problem but the old condo nazi's here said no. I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with the flag, it wasn't in anyones way and it didn't harm a single person. It's not like he had a rebel flag hanging outside! Some people just have nothing else better to do I tell ya.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
His mistake was that he didn't put a Rainbow flag with a "I heart Islam" on it.

The simple fact that there are actual laws that exist to stop things like this astounds me.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Thanks for the laugh! Remind me not to drink near the computer........

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

The simple fact that there are actual laws that exist to stop things like this astounds me.

There was no law against it - he just didn't get the proper approval.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morgenstern89

Originally posted by beezzer

There was no law against it - he just didn't get the proper approval.

My, my, my.

That pisses me off even more. The simple fact that we need "permission" now!

Yet as a society, we've all become conditioned to think that we should need someone's damned permission to do something!

I'm so angry now, I need to walk it off.

*raises hand*
Can I leave the thread for a minute?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Need permission to drive
Need permission to own a gun
Need permission to make money
Need permission to fly a flag

Game,set, and match to fascists!

Well Done!

Not.

The guy served his country I say he has the right to put up a flag if he damn well chooses to.
edit on 30-3-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

I think if you serve this Country, you should be honored, not dishonored.

that would be great if you was actually fighting for freedom and not for money ,oil and heroine

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy

that would be great if you was actually fighting for freedom and not for money ,oil and heroine

You would be surprised.To some extent, I agree with you.

I believe that in this Country, you should be able to fly ANY Flag you want, regardless if its immoral, or makes you look like a complete idiot.

That's the beauty of being American. When you have those who are willing to circumvent freedom, they make ANY sacrifices those who have paid with their lives, irrelevant. MHO.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
"MAH FREEDUMS ARE BEIN' STOLED FRUM MEH!"

We live in a society where there are a bunch of irresponsible and incompetent people doing what they have no business doing - so it's necessary to have something in place to deal with that.

Apparently none of you have ever had a neighbor who decided to start building a deck in May and still had it only half finished in December - or a neighbor who decided to start breeding dogs and keep 20-30 of them in their back yard.

Sure, permits and Home Owners Associations can be a pain in the neck, but they are there so you can deal with idiots if and when they cause trouble. I'd rather deal with some bureaucratic BS before I start a project than have to sit there powerless when someone is being obnoxious. If you don't want to deal with that kind of thing - don't live inside city limits. The guy chose to live there so hey, it's up to him to make sure he's got what he needs before he begins construction.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

By that logic then, what if there is a law that says jaywalking is punishable by death. Would you as a citizen or as a cop enforce such a law? Just because some jackwagon politician got the rest of the jackwagon politicians to pass a law doesn't mean that it is legal. Here are a couple relevant ruling by the US Supreme Court:

Murdock v. Penn. 319 US 105 (1943)
“A state may not impose a charge for the enjoyment of a right granted by the Federal Constitution... No state may convert any secured liberty into a privilege and issue a license and a fee for it.”

Shuttlesworth v. Birmingham Al. 373 US 262 (1962)
“If the state does convert your right into a privilege and issue a license and a fee for it, you can
ignore the license and a fee and engage the right with impunity.”

These judgements are not going to be overturned due the principle of stare decisis .

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Nice find. Didn't know that one. However, I believe the code enforcement nazi's do so that why they went after the flag pole and not the flag.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morgenstern89

We live in a society where there are a bunch of irresponsible and incompetent people doing what they have no business doing - so it's necessary to have something in place to deal with that.

So a free society should be free.

Apparently none of you have ever had a neighbor who decided to start building a deck in May and still had it only half finished in December - or a neighbor who decided to start breeding dogs and keep 20-30 of them in their back yard.

Actually, I did. I offered to help him finish. Made a good friend that way.

Sure, permits and Home Owners Associations can be a pain in the neck, but they are there so you can deal with idiots if and when they cause trouble. I'd rather deal with some bureaucratic BS before I start a project than have to sit there powerless when someone is being obnoxious. If you don't want to deal with that kind of thing - don't live inside city limits. The guy chose to live there so hey, it's up to him to make sure he's got what he needs before he begins construction.

Rules. Obey the rules. Laws. Make more laws to "protect" those that can't handle freedom and responsibility.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Wow! Look at all this freedom and responsibility! I can't handle it!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join