It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog or cat in our curry: Fears over 'mystery meat' in takeaway

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I love SPAM!

It never goes bad, tastes awesome when fried in a cast iron skillet, and goes great with eggs!

I make a mean SPAM musubi. This isn't mine but representative of SPAM musubi:

The trick is making good sushi rice!

At least with SPAM, the actual contents are listed on the label!

"Mechanically separated chicken" doesn't sound awesome, but Pacific WWII vets lived off of this stuff, along with pineapples. My grandfather hated SPAM and pineapples because he was stationed in Guam.

It really is a Hawaiian/Samoan/Japanese thing.

I really didn't believe it until I saw it. (the Hawaiian SPAM thing)

The Safeway I went to in Hawaii literally had half of one side of one isle dedicated to SPAM. Apparently they even make a bacon flavored SPAM now?!

The McDonalds in Hawaii even serves "Loco Moco" which is fried slices of SPAM, scrambled or fried eggs and a side of white rice. I can't remember if they put brown gravy over it or not. Normally, if made it's made at home the dish comes with gravy.

There's just something about SPAM and pineapples that screams "Pacific Ocean"

edit on 28-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Spartanian

Danke! that is wierd.

In Iceland they tested 16 meat products.

One meat-paste had absolutely NO MEAT in it.

The manufacturer was baffled. It should be 30% meat!

"from 80 kg there should be 20kg meat"

Soya protein?

maybe that's why they have surprisingly low cholesterol levels. Link

Thanks again for the article.

Because of the Horsemeat scandal in the UK, it was pretty much Unfindbar for me...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
When i was a kid i made friends with a chinese lad who was at the same school as me, this was primary school i was around 7 or 8 years old.
His parents owned the chinese restaurant in the local village, he invited me to go to his house after school to play, when we got there as we walked through a private area i saw three or four cats strung by their necks and hanging on strings.
The lads mum watched me quite closely and thinking back she looked quite nervy, his dad appeared and shooed us into the main part of the house, the cats were not there when i walked back through around an hour later.
Also in tidworth a couple of muslims had a curry house on the bottom of station road, a while after they moved out the police entered the property because of a strange smell.

They opened a freezer and in the bottom of it was the cadaver of a large dog, from it quite a bit of the meat was missing, this place was the only Indian takeaway in the village and quite busy, i remember hearing two soldiers having a conversation about their food, one asked the other "what meat is this?", the other siad "I have no idea, it's nothing ive ever seen before, probably dog", he said it jokingly, but, sometimes as they say, "Never a truer word said, than when in jest".

And before someone says "if they were muslims they wouldn't be handling a dog", they absolutely were muslims, and the dog in the freezer is fact and pictures of it made it into the local newspaper at the time, it was front page news, haha.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by The X

Saying that and probably because there will be people who say that some of the posts here may be racist orientated (which of course are not, just simple facts and stories that have been outlined), i must admit that here in France, we eat, Frogs legs, snails and lightly cooked Sheeps brains... yum yum!

However, may i suggest that we keep religious names such as Muslim out of this thread to avoid misunderstanding and hurt?

It would be great if posters on this thread could also give us an idea of what might be a delicacy in their country but could disgust others in other cultures

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by restless genius

How odd.
When I eat chow mein or any dish I did not prepare pretty much that has lil chunks of meat, I'll push the meat aside and not eat it.
HOWEVER, I'll eat the hell outta a chicken or a steak.
Maybe subconsciously I wonder about it?

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
There are enough animals condemned to our dinner plates already, without adding more species to the menu. Horses, cats, and dogs have all provided valuable service to the human race beyond their companionship qualities and how tasty they might be, and because of this they deserve our protection from those with adventurous palates, or ignorant beliefs about food that gives vitality and improves sexual performance.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I'm tipping it could have been one of those possums that claw the faces of children in their cribs...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus
Saying that and probably because there will be people who say that some of the posts here may be racist orientated (which of course are not, just simple facts and stories that have been outlined), i must admit that here in France, we eat, Frogs legs, snails and lightly cooked Sheeps brains... yum yum!

Rodinus

I like frog legs and snails. I can't hang with brains, though.

Let's see...back home we eat squirrel (YUM), raccoon (not me, had too many as pets), possum (nasty), deer (YUM). Have also eaten armadillo, alligator and horse.

Apparently dog that one time, have also had cat, seal, sheep eyeballs, rancid roadkill, bugs, worms, raw chicken, and I'm pretty sure rat once, although it could have been something else.

eta: and various MREs, some of which were basically unfit for human consumption, corpse fingers/fingers of death comes to mind.
edit on 29-3-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I don´t like this piece of information one bit / pun intended.

That´s it, no more hotdogs or doggy bags for me buddy

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
WOW, I'm surprised that no one thought to post this here. I can't think of a better thread to post it on outside of the joke forum!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Reply to post by pacifier2012

LOL... that's hilarious.

On topic, if all these meats were served on bones then it wouldn've been to identify the animal. Nowadays people don't like to see meat with bone, so you can't blame someone tryin to make fast buck.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join