It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Fox News Credibility Lowest of All, Lower Than Comedy Central

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
None of the "News" channels on TV should be viewed by anyone...Ever.

Friends don't let friends watch the news.

This has been a public service announcement from reality.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Didn't Pew Research recently do a study citing MSNBC as having the most editiorials to news ratio (which says a lot if you're besting Fox)?

I guess the narrative about mistrusting Fox has hit the mainstream, regardless of content.

m.now.msn.com...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
If it's a boring news day I will switch to Fox for entertainment. "News Alert, News Alert!" Everything is 'News Alert' to them!

But then yesterday I was changing channels to look for news on Cyprus and I heard Neil Cavuto talking about it. He was ranting, of course, but then he warned that Cyprus was just a 'test' for the rest of us. That caught my attention because I completely agree and I was really shocked that he said that.

Every once in a while they hit it on the nail.
edit on 27-3-2013 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by thePharaoh

Um... here's the poll.

Linky

Interesting to actually look at the numbers. Of all the networks, Fox received the highest "trust" percentage even though there was a decidedly skew in political leanings (42% claimed democrat as opposed to 33% republican).

Also to note:
More distrusted MSNBC, especially men (to note, Fox didn't have the highest "distrust" factor here). Women seem to really trust PBS. Fox was on top as the "most trusted" news network but also the "least trusted".

I guess we all could have derived our own conclusions with this poll. The OP article merely cherry-picked data it wanted to support its conclusions.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
In the morning, when getting ready for work, I would turn on Fox news but I couldnt take that dingy blonde and the idiot dude always trying to crack jokes, then I tried MSNBC's Morning Joe, he was ok but again, the dingy but better looking than the fox news blonde, got on my nerves.
Now, I just watch Spongebob while getting ready

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I don't trust any of them as far as I can throw them and, considering their size and cumbersomeness, throwing them is impossible. Major reason why is because I have a nasty past time of detecting patterns. When you see almost a formulaic pattern in the writing format of news articles that basically follows a basic format of a 1. three pushes/evidence/reference for a specific perspective, 2. one counter perspective tossed in to show how unbiased they truly are, and 3. one last kick towards that preferred perspective. This is a persuasive argument writing technique. For a longer version of what I see in a whole lot of news articles today: www.readwritethink.org...

I grew up in an era where being a journalist meant having integrity. Being unbiased and presenting the facts without taint of persuasion so that a citizen of this nation had that untainted information available to them in order to form their own thoughts and opinions on a matter. The press is supposed to be the most fundamentally important tool that assures our democracy. What we have instead today is an onslaught of persuasive writing techniques bolstered by us v. them type of thinking that is being catapulted by a handful of individuals--a technological oligarchy who utilizes orators and writers to try to tell us what to think instead of giving us the information to make our own minds up. All they end up doing is tossing the apple of discord into the middle of the room so that consensus is never found on anything.

The sad thing is that you really can't trust anyone in the media anymore. Everybody puts the spin on.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Polls are meaningless. They are dependent on who you poll and how you word the questions. This was a poll of all Democrats. What else would you expect the outcome to be? Polling companies are simply the mouthpiece of the agenda. They have no reliability anymore.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Fox News is like wrestling, fake but entertaining.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by onthedownlow

Originally posted by thePharaoh
im not sure if this has been posted

sounds about right lol... i gave up on fox news when they said it was neck and neck for obama and romney

edit on 26-3-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

Yeah, I guess if the news doesn't fit your agenda or political assuasion, it must be inaccurate or not newsworthy. I guess everyone is guilty of being narrow minded.

ouch

i personally gave them the benefit of the doubt
but during the election campaign
they are the ones that showed their "agenda or political assuasion"

just discussing the poll and the polarity

peace
edit on 27-3-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
I guess we all could have derived our own conclusions with this poll. The OP article merely cherry-picked data it wanted to support its conclusions.

thats a bit unfair

i never saw the poll, only the youtube clip.

after seeing that pdf. yes i too could of came up with other data

i only had the vid to comment from

peace

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Not that anyone really seems to care, but here are the Actual poll by Public Policy Poll & Results and here is their synopsis.

To me - these are the two most interesting questions and their results..

Q9 Which TV news outlet do you trust the most:
ABC News, CBS News, CNN, Comedy Central,
Fox News, MSNBC, NBC News, or PBS?
ABC ................................................................ 11%
CBS ................................................................ 6%
CNN................................................................ 12%
Comedy Central.............................................. 5%
Fox.................................................................. 34%
MSNBC........................................................... 8%
NBC................................................................ 5%
PBS ................................................................ 13%
Someone else/Not sure .................................. 7%

Q10 Working from the same list of choices, which
TV news outlet do you trust the least?
ABC ................................................................ 5%
CBS ................................................................ 5%
CNN................................................................ 13%
Comedy Central.............................................. 12%
Fox.................................................................. 39%
MSNBC........................................................... 14%
NBC................................................................ 3%
PBS ................................................................ 1%
Someone else/Not sure .................................. 9%

Which actually points to what some others have been saying. Fox is both most and least trusted overall. The trust of republicans seems to be given mostly to fox news. The distrust of democrats is given mostly to fox news. The trust of democrats (and distrust of the republicans) is divided up amongst the rest.

It seems they are slanting the results a bit by picking and choosing the stats they want to focus on. But, it isn't really surprising given their overall democratic leaning..

Public Policy Polling

PPP's polls have been described as "Democratic-leaning"[3] and "accurate."[4] It is labeled as a Democratic firm because in its private client work, it conducts polls only for Democratic campaigns and progressive organizations.

They do have good accuracy. No question about that. The main issue with them appears to be when they decided (as they have here) which of their stats to favor..

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I am Independent, I watch MSNBC, Fox, CNN, and then make up my own mind from all the stuff I hear. I try to vote for the lesser of two evils for president, and lately they have been making it more difficult to find a shred of decency in any of them.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I can't resist.. I wish I could..I know I should... but I can't. I just....can't...resist.

For a news channel the polls suggest everyone distrusts and dislikes?

(Source: Nielsen Ratings: Mon. March 25, 2013)

They sure make one enormous statement by leading all time slots, in all areas over all other Cable News Channels. No exceptions..all the way down the list. I guess everyone is watching to see them get something wrong? Oh well... Another day, another poll.
edit on 26-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

Yep thats FOX . They are the MSM.
The lame stream media or whatever you wanna call it.
They are king. They are boss, and they are the dinosaur.
The soon to fall dinosaur.

Fox has more viewers because they keep a certain demographic wound up.
That's why everything on Fox is a FOX NEWS ALERT. 2 million people
does not a 330 million person country make.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

For a news channel the polls suggest everyone distrusts and dislikes?

Correction not news channel infotainment channel. Even Rupert Murdoch claims FOX isn't a news channel this way they can get out of a lot of lawsuits.
edit on 27-3-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Absolutely right, buster. In case most are not familiar with the story:

"In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States.

Back in December of 1996, Jane Akre and her husband, Steve Wilson, were hired by FOX as a part of the Fox “Investigators” team at WTVT in Tampa Bay, Florida. In 1997 the team began work on a story about bovine growth hormone (BGH), a controversial substance manufactured by Monsanto Corporation. The couple produced a four-part series revealing that there were many health risks related to BGH and that Florida supermarket chains did little to avoid selling milk from cows treated with the hormone, despite assuring customers otherwise.

According to Akre and Wilson, the station was initially very excited about the series. But within a week, Fox executives and their attorneys wanted the reporters to use statements from Monsanto representatives that the reporters knew were false and to make other revisions to the story that were in direct conflict with the facts. Fox editors then tried to force Akre and Wilson to continue to produce the distorted story. When they refused and threatened to report Fox's actions to the FCC, they were both fired."

It's ironic because as I am reading this thread I am watching once again the documentary "OutFoxed". In it, they show Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes speaking during a press release at the very inception of the Fox News network and both of them reassure reporters they are going for a strictly journalistic approach in their endeavors.

The documentary highlights many, many, many of the tactics used by the media but really perfected by News Corporation owned Fox News network. Such as the famous, "Some people say..." followed by whatever view your trying to push. The News Alert! they constantly use, even on such things as Martha Stewart meeting with her lawyer all those years ago when she made a boo boo and got in trouble. The bottom "rolling headlines" in order to distract viewers..

Again, these are tactics employed by almost every news channel but Fox is very good at it.

I find Fox News and their commentators (O'Reilly, Hannity, Greg Gutfeld, etc) to be the most propagandized and irritating of all corporate news entertainment...

And I am a conservative and registered Republican!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

You make a bad habit of assuming in replies you make.

I dislike Fox in particular, on a personal level.
Yes , I will admit , I did assume.

In this case , I made an Azz outta ME.

My bad sir.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

I don't think this is all a plot to undermine FOX's title as ratings champion, but rather part of the reason why they might be.

I get why people like them because it plays into what they want to believe but I'd need real convincing to accept them as anything more than a corporate and conservative mouthpiece that plays on the fears of Christians and the Right.

I won't disagree with you, either. As I noted early on the thread, I don't much care for Fox. They've gone fluffy where once there was news (And they DO have news shows...people really aren't even willing to speak realistically in discussions about Fox) and outside those few news shows which pretty much happen late morning / afternoon, no one even claims to be a reporter. Hannity and Bill 'O have both clearly said they aren't and haven't tried to be on their shows. They ARE commentators ..which, by definition, isn't a reporter or news. (I.E. Not worth watching, right or left.. People here have better opinions most of the time)

It's Newstainment..... and once in awhile I'll watch Lock-Up on MSNBC where it'll transition into MSNBC News before I catch it and WHOA... If that isn't blown just as far left as Fox is right. It's why I've lost respect or trust for any...ALL...of the major media.

They're ALL corporate (They aren't non-profit..none of them. It's ALL about the money) and they're ALL in the bag. Even Fox pays it's tributes to TPTB to maintain it's White House access and other things.

Some see Fox as noticeably worse...well, to each their own. Fox is more entertaining with their spin and that draws viewers. It's all a show from MSM anyway and they're all a part of putting it on for the paying, commercial watching audience's pleasure, every day, IMO.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

thats a bit unfair

That is why I said the OP article, not your assertions. I guess to be more clear, I meant the linked article that cherry-picked the information to fit their narrative.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This is funny because Pew has said that MSNBC is much more biased than even Fox News. Which study should we believe, one done by an reputable org or this crap?

www.journalism.org...

The study also reveals the degree to which the two cable channels that have built themselves around ideological programming, MSNBC and Fox, stand out from other mainstream media outlets. And MSNBC stands out the most. On that channel, 71% of the segments studied about Romney were negative in nature, compared with just 3% that were positive-a ratio of roughly 23-to-1. On Fox, 46% of the segments about Obama were negative, compared with 6% that were positive-a ratio of about 8-to-1 negative. These made them unusual among channels or outlets that identified themselves as news organizations.

The study also found a difference between the three network evening newscasts and the morning shows. Obama also fared better in the evening, Romney in the morning.

An analysis of the coverage of the vice presidential candidates, meanwhile, found that Paul Ryan received roughly a third of the amount of coverage that Sarah Palin did in 2008. But of the two vice presidential candidates this year, Ryan and Joe Biden, Ryan received much more unfavorable coverage-28% unfavorable vs. 16% for Biden.

When you're as biased as MSNBC, you really should be run out of business.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Phantom
I watch Fox News all the time, and I can't stand them. In fact I rarely if ever watch any of the other news channels.

I just like to see what they will say about different subjects. I wonder how many more there are like me?

Ditto here as well.
Watching Fox News is pure comedy.

I like to see what kind of spin they put on current topics to sell to the gullible public, as if they or any other news organization have the nations best interest in mind and not the ones that bought them.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join