It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denzel Washington....Ex Slave??????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Several weeks ago Katie Couric with abc (?) interviewed Denzel Washington regarding his latest movie. In this interview Denzel Washington stated "I am an ex slave". That comment and comments like that are so 1960s. He's no more ex slave than anyone else on earth. All races at one time or another throughout history have been slaves and he should be happy his ancestors were slaves because if they weren't where would he be today????? Most likely he would be in Africa working on some farm or possibly dying of aids and/or starvation. He surely wouldn't be living the life of some spoiled little brat whining about himself being an ex slave. Ahhh I feel better now, have a nice day

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I can safely say that Mr Washington is spouting
with this one.

Yes, his ancestors may well have been slaves and he may have been poor as a child, but he was never a slave himself.

Ok - he may have worked for Wal-Mart or McDogturds (who treat their employee's like slaves :shk: ) but, sorry Denzel, that doesn't count.

Definitely too 60's for words.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
A thought -- I didn't see the interview nor am enough of a fan to know what his latest movie out is -- but could he have been referring to his character in the movie as being an ex-slave?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by laughing_rebel
In this interview Denzel Washington stated "I am an ex slave".

Are you sure he wasn't referring to the movie
Glory (1989). www.us.imdb.com...
He won his first Oscar, (Best Actor in a Supporting Role). He could've been asked about it or he could've brought it up himself. He certainly isn't going to forget that movie ever.

That comment and comments like that are so 1960s. He's no more ex slave than anyone else on earth.

He's not and I don't believe he thinks so. But there are slaves today whose masters would probably be pleased to hear that some people believe that there's no such around anymore.
www.infoplease.com...
freetheslaves.net...
www.antislavery.org...

Originally posted by laughing_rebel and he should be happy his ancestors were slaves because if they weren't where would he be today????? Most likely he would be in Africa working on some farm or possibly dying of aids and/or starvation.

Ever occurred to you that maybe africa wouldn't be in such a crappy condition if 10 million healthiest people in their best working age wouldn't have been taken away in a critical time. The US cotton industry didn't seem to suffer having them around, I quess they could've get something done in Africa as well...

[Edited on 7-11-2004 by vibetic]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Several weeks ago Katie Couric with abc (?) interviewed Denzel Washington regarding his latest movie. In this interview Denzel Washington stated "I am an ex slave". That comment and comments like that are so 1960s. He's no more ex slave than anyone else on earth. All races at one time or another throughout history have been slaves and he should be happy his ancestors were slaves because if they weren't where would he be today????? Most likely he would be in Africa working on some farm or possibly dying of aids and/or starvation. He surely wouldn't be living the life of some spoiled little brat whining about himself being an ex slave. Ahhh I feel better now, have a nice day

I agree, that wasn't a smart thing to say...but not all Africans work on farms or die of AIDS/starvation. Most likely if his ancestors weren't taken to the U.S. he'd be living in E. Africa, and most like he'd be having a nice life...like my father ( who is nowhere near starving or dying of AIDS He's richer than me!!) Africa is a big continent, don't think all of it is a horrible AIDS-infested place.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Most likely he would be in Africa working on some farm or possibly dying of aids and/or starvation.

Dude someone needs to slap you for saying that.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
yes, that kind of whinning nonsense turn my stomach inside out... Mr. Denzel may be one of my favorite actors, but for heaven's sake... what plantation was he forced to work at ??

following this line of taught, Napolean attemoted to invade parts of Portugal , so therefore maybe i should ask for my "French reaparations " ???

there is REAL SLAVERY and REAL SLAVES out there, but Denzel isnt one of them !

[edit on 6-4-2005 by BaastetNoir]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by vibetic
But there are slaves today whose masters would probably be pleased to hear that some people believe that there's no such around anymore.

Originally posted by laughing_rebel and he should be happy his ancestors were slaves because if they weren't where would he be today????? Most likely he would be in Africa working on some farm or possibly dying of aids and/or starvation.

Ever occurred to you that maybe africa wouldn't be in such a crappy condition if 10 million healthiest people in their best working age wouldn't have been taken away in a critical time. The US cotton industry didn't seem to suffer having them around, I quess they could've get something done in Africa as well...

Thank you for posting this, it is amazing that people think that there isn't slavery today, even when it hapens in our own country (I am assuming that you are all in the US).

BTW, revel, why don't you show us some proof about this interview? This is the first that I've ever heard of it, I'm sure you could find something online if you looked a bit. Or did you make this up?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Maybe he was talking about being a slave to the system and the machine and one day he shroomed or something and he got free.

new topics

top topics

join