It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone want to take a shot at these questions?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I posted this on a thread and then realized perhaps I can actually have these genuine questions answered by all you smart science and philosophy folks out there.

The only real truth is what your brain perceives as fact, no? What is real?

Is a red crayon really red? Or is it every color but red?

Isn't everything we perceive really upside down and backwards and its our retinas that flip and rotate it to what we see? How would life look if we saw things just as they were? I'd imagine pretty damn confusing.

What if we could see at all wavelengths? But not the ability to switch, simply forced to view the world in infa-red, gamma, etc etc. would we be able to navigate the earth like this or would everything just be a wall of light that you couldn't see anything? Much like staring at the sun from 5 feet away.

What if you heard all sound waves at all levels? Why are we limited to such a small fraction of sound waves?

Since are ability to see and hear this universe is only a fraction of what is really out there right in front of our faces.

Our reality isn't reality at all. Kinda like playing a 16 bit video game but you can only move within 1 bit.

The truth is stranger then fiction it seems. Anyone want to tackle these question to paint a portrait of what our world really looks like without all these filters?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by masta12d

What if time is really a static state - does not flow. There is not future, past, or present.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by masta12d
I posted this on a thread and then realized perhaps I can actually have these genuine questions answered by all you smart science and philosophy folks out there.

No. Facts are facts, how our brain perceives them is irrelevant.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

Isn't everything we perceive really upside down and backwards and its our retinas that flip and rotate it to what we see? How would life look if we saw things just as they were? I'd imagine pretty damn confusing.

No. Everything is as it is, our brains decode what our retinas send to it, so we see it properly.
What if we could see at all wavelengths? But not the ability to switch, simply forced to view the world in infa-red, gamma, etc etc. would we be able to navigate the earth like this or would everything just be a wall of light that you couldn't see anything? Much like staring at the sun from 5 feet away.
Just a silly question. If we just saw a blinding wall of light, we would probably live in caves, and eventually evolved to be blind.

What if you heard all sound waves at all levels? Why are we limited to such a small fraction of sound waves?
Why don't we breath methane? Our current mode of hearing is perfectly adequate for us to function.

Since are ability to see and hear this universe is only a fraction of what is really out there right in front of our faces.
Our reality isn't reality at all. Kinda like playing a 16 bit video game but you can only move within 1 bit.
The truth is stranger then fiction it seems. Anyone want to tackle these question to paint a portrait of what our world really looks like without all these filters?

I think we seem to be doing pretty well with our one bit of reality. At least I'm having a good time so far.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

As a kid I had crazy thoughts like, what if the colors we individually see are completely different from what others see, like for example what I perceive as red could be yellow If I saw it through your eyes, etc.

What if we could see at all wavelengths without being able to focus on a particular one? I really don't think that would be possible, it would be very much like being blind im guessing, or we would go insane at least.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

The brain is responsible for a lot of illusion and trickery. The one that blows my own mind is the fact that we think that the sky is up and the ground is down, when on a spherical planet, the only place this is actually the case is at the North Pole. However, can you imagine the confusion we would feel if our brain did not do this for us and we were aware we were walking up and down the side of the earth with only gravity to hold our feet on the ground(umm...or is that wall).

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

My grandkid ate a red crayon last week. The crayon went in red, came out red. Therefore I must presume that a red crayon is indeed red- or a mixture of colors and dyes that when mixed are interpreted visually as red. If you mix ALL the colors together you get black, and absence of color is white- at least in my vast crayon using experience. Red is a primary color and usually the most used crayon in the box.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
OP your questions remind me that the creator of the human body made an excellent creation.

The Creator also made everything else to work perfectly with the human body and mind.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by athousandlives

My husband and I have discussed this many times. The realization came many years ago while speaking with a friend. This friend, after watching one of those sci-fi dream movies, possibly Dreamscapes and he was mentioning how awesome it would be to hook up inside my brain and see what goes on in there. I realized then that it would probably not be recognizable to anyone else but me for that very reason.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Read this: Why is the sky Blue
Watch this:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by athousandlives

As a kid I had crazy thoughts like, what if the colors we individually see are completely different from what others see, like for example what I perceive as red could be yellow If I saw it through your eyes, etc.

I used to think about this all the time too, and I still do. I wonder if people who claim to see spirits or hear god talking to them etc. really are capable of tuning into things that most are not. On the whole though, I would have to assume that most things are similar enough, as we are all mostly able to navigate the physical world in the same way.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

What if we only saw what there was to see?
The mind won't allow that though because the mind always wants different and has ideas of it's own so prevents us seeing and hearing what is. Thoughts say that this, that is actually happening, is boring so thought entertains us with visions of something other, an idea about something different than what is actually happening. So not many actually see with their eyes.
edit on 25-3-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by d1gov

Yes, i think some people are indeed more in tune with certain frequencies or dimensions, like mediums and such.
But I believe that it's also something we can learn if we really put our efforts and will into it.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Everything we see,hear,touch,experience remains in our brains until we die or fry the brain cells somehow. Some people are adept at retrieving that information, some are not. Everyone is capable of it. We know very little about the human brain. About as much as we know about the ocean floor. We probably are capable of hearing all frequencies of sound, we just filter it out because we don't need it. Some people do hear these frequencies. I read a thread this morning from someone who felt/heard a sound that he said meant an earthquake was coming. Not long after an earthquake hit. I think we just limit ourselves, we are capable of much more than we know.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

No. Facts are facts, how our brain perceives them is irrelevant.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

I would have to respectfully disagree here. walking like a duck and quacking like a duck does not a duck make. I would also like to add that "facts" are not always "facts". Lets say as a group we are standing together at the edge of a pond and we all see ..well lets call it a duck. We can all agree, yes that's a duck, but step inside my mind and experience the way my mind has put together the information gathered through my senses and filed it away and it may be that yes we all have agreed this thing is a duck but it looks very different to me. In other words, we tend to think that we are all perceiving the same thing because we have all agreed that this is what a duck looks like. We cannot step inside another mind so there is really no way of knowing for sure.
edit on 25-3-2013 by pennylemon because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2013 by pennylemon because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2013 by pennylemon because: Pre coffee quoting insanity

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Not all humans are the same. There are exceptions of 'the rule' for humans.

Science can be wrong on so many things you've stated.

I came to think, what is beyound is observed/received by that which is beyound within ourselves.
edit on 25-3-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by pennylemon

A duck eater or hunter would see the duck much different than a young child or a bird watcher.
It all depends what you have in mind!
The young child would be the one who really 'saw' the duck, just 'saw' the duck and not any information about 'duck'.
The others would all have 'ideas' about the duck.

Ideas are like a filter over our eyes. The ideas get in the way of true seeing.
edit on 25-3-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

The young child would see information about the duck which is no information, yet is.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angle

The young child would see information about the duck which is no information, yet is.

The child is emptiness filled with what is. It sees what is and hears what is.
As it grows it gets full of ideas.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

As it grows it obtains a mind? Mind here is a tool for altering reality. I am I am.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join