It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Under the skin' blood-testing device developed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I came across this news story today and it seemed something suited to ATS

I'm not sure whether this is amazing or slightly worrying, I think it depends how tight your tin foil hat is.

I'm not very good at this thread making lark so I apologise if this is below some of my fellow ATS'ers standards, I just wanted to share and discuss everyones opinions

I did do a search but did not see it posted already so if it has been please delete this thread.

Scientists say they have developed a tiny blood-testing device that sits under the skin and gives instant results via a mobile phone. The Swiss team say the wireless prototype - half an inch (14mm) long - can simultaneously check for up to five different substances in the blood. The data is sent to the doctor using radiowaves and Bluetooth technology.

BBC News

SO, a wonder of medical and technological advances OR a precurser to the dreaded micro-chipping?

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
It would be wowser for people on a vent or with diabetes, if you could monitor blood glucose, CO2, O2 and the like without having to stick over and over and over...

On the other hand, this is from the Beeb so don't count on it being technically accurate, they still think that GPS satellites track you from orbit.

I'll see if I can find a less journalistically tainted source.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

But I thought the beeb was a totally non biased truth telling organisation

Thank you, I have found a few other places referring to it here:

Link 1

Link 2

A quick google search throws up a few others as well.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It's a near field part like I thought it would be. You wear an interrogator, or one's placed over it, and the interrogator powers the thing and receives the data through the usual load-signaled NFC method. Not radio waves.

The interrogator device uploads the info to your doctor by a Bluetooth link to the phone.

BBC never gets that sort of thing straight.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ScorpioRising

Well, they're better than some, but the problem is they apparently have no interest in having a technical consult, so the humanities majors run wild with any story they get. None of them, far as I can tell, have a technical background, so anything past how to put a piece of bread in the toaster ends up a bit wrong, usually.

It's probably picking nits, but from a CT standpoint, no it doesn't transmit radio waves. No implant does, really, except for a few insulin pumps that use MICS because they've got a big battery in.

edit on 21-3-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I thought the the chips in the hand theory was a bit far fetched but it seems to be happening.... i hear the twilight zone.....
Logans run here we come

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

It is a bit off, you're right.

The difference between the Beeb's version and what it is, is that this is NFC, and it's powered by the interrogator.

That's why it isn't CT worthy, nor are the other implants. The reason is, neither this nor the Verichip or any of its descendants actually transmits anything at all. They don't even have any sort of power.

NFC parts get all their power from the interrogator device. This emits a time-varying magnetic field to the part, the part has a coil in with a ferrite in it (that's the coil they mention in the photo), and that picks up the interrogator's field. The implant converts that to a bit of power, and runs the test. When it's done, it signals back to the interrogator by throwing a load onto and off of the coil, sort of like signaling to someone pushing your car by tapping the brakes. The implant doesn't transmit anything, it just changes its loading.

When you take off the interrogator, no power, the thing is off.

You use magnetic fields because being made out of wet salty meat, you're not very conducive to radio signals going through. Straight h-fields don't care, so that's why you use magnetic coupling in implants. See the verichip photos? That coppery looking thing at one end is the coil.

However, magnetic coupling has a couple of insurmountable bits that don't really affect their use in legit medical devices, but make them a CTers wet blanky: the power density of an h-field coupling falls as the sixth power of the distance. So while it's a cinch to drive one a few cm away, get a meter away and you're using hundreds of times the power. And then there's a physical barrier to it, even if you had the world's most perfect setup and the Niagara Dam to power it, you hit what's known as the 'lambda wall' about 13 meters out, and no one's going to read the data beyond that, because it's near field. Outside the near field for that frequency, no data.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Wow, thank you for all that information. I'll admit some of it has completely lost me BUT I get the jist of it to mean that these particular devices can't be used for nefarious purposes, am I correct?

So now the question is, do people believe that it will only be those devices OR will this be a sneaky technique to get us all micro-chipped?
If this becomes commonplace and accepted as the norm will it pave the way for the TPTB to make us all have micro-chips in us? Not even by forcing but by convincing people it would 'make us all safer and protect our data' etc.so that we voluntarily go and get them.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I can't imagine any desire to chip everyone. At one point that might have been a great option but now we can do identify you at a distance with iris prints, DARPA pulled that one off two years ago using cheap cameras and data fusion.

But no, the tech doesn't permit distant tracking, or data communications. You have to have a gadget clamped onto it no more than a cm or two away. No tracking, no monitoring. Unless you've got the interrogator device in hand.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
For anyone who wants the non-Beeb tainted skinny on this thing, there is a free very large pdf link here.

It's possibly a bit technical for the average ATSer, but you might get something out of it. The discussion on how it's powered and communicates starts on page 22 of 48, it's a nicely written section on NFC. It's not radio waves.

They also go into biocompatibility, which is a big problem with implants, in that the glass goop they're encapsulated in or the polymer they're coated with to keep them from migrating can cause foreign body response tumors.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

So I guess living in the UK with our ridiculous amount of CCTV everywhere I don't need to worry about a tracking chip, I could just walk down the street and be tracked via camera if they wanted to? Either way its a slightly unnerving thought.

Also, thank you for your imput to this thread, I half expected it to fill up with declarations of NWO type stuff so your replies have been refreshingly scientific

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

There really isn't a tracking chip, per se, they don't have any range at all. It's a CT meme.

Now, there's some other tech that can track things. It's not an implant. But the military, particularly JSOC, has a jones for that sort of thing and have a way to do it, at least in the small. I'm not sure I can discuss it as we do a lot of work for them and have NDAs out the wazoo.

But yeah, DARPA can read an iris print at about 40 feet with an array of cell phone quality cameras right now.

top topics

join