It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will ATS Join Other Sites Like Reddit and Craigslist In Denouncing CISPA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Reddit, Craigslist and more than 30,000 other websites are flying the flag of opposition to the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, or CISPA, a controversial cybersecurity bill that was recently reintroduced in Congress.

The thousands of websites which oppose CISPA will, starting Tuesday, be displaying an interactive banner ad (seen below) from the Internet Defense League that allows voters to send the following message to their members of Congress: "CISPA is back. This bill sacrifices privacy without improving security. We deserve both."

I would really like to see ATS put this link up, and members actually click it and help with the cause.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Banner ads, online petitions and forum whinging accomplish nothing.

If something matters to you, write your Congressman or Senator a physical letter. Believe it or not, those things still make a (slight) difference. Ten thousand supposed constituents sending canned responses... not so much.

(I'm excused from the exercise, because my Congressman is Michelle Bachman, and I'm pretty sure that she can't read, lol.)

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
(I'm excused from the exercise, because my Congressman is Michelle Bachman, and I'm pretty sure that she can't read, lol.)

Bearing in mind that, despite the "moderator" thingie on my profile - most of my posts - those citing opinions - always speak for me and me alone...

I'll be creating as much of a stink about CISPA as real life and time allow.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Originally posted by adjensen

I sent her a canned "Catholic Services" email regarding immigration reform, and someone sent back:

As you know, the Senate's "Gang of Eight," led by Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY), introduced a plan for bipartisan immigration reform on January 28, 2013. The four legislative pillars of the proposal are (1) a path to citizenship for the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants who live in America today, (2) a rebuilt legal immigration system to help revitalize the America economy, (3) a strengthened employment verification system, and (4) an improved process for admitting future workers.

President Obama is also in favor of immigration reform and has said, "Together we can build a fair, effective and common sense immigration system that lives up to our heritage as a nation of laws and a nation of immigrants." He has outlined four principles of his own to guide immigration reform: strengthening border security, streamlining legal immigration, mandating earned citizenship, and cracking down on employers who hire illegal immigrants.

Presently, neither of these immigration initiatives has been formally introduced into the 113th Congress. Should such legislation be introduced, it would be under the jurisdiction of the Judiciary Committee, of which I am not a member. However, as legislation related to immigration comes before the full House during the 113th Congress, please rest assured that I will keep your thoughts I mind.

I lost hope at the mention of the "Gang of Eight", despaired when she cited President Obama, and gave up when I saw "I will keep your thoughts I mind"

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

You make a good point but something is better than nothing and at this point I think a general lack of awareness is a problem. This would make more people aware, and with all of the ATS blustering about trying to change things I would hope some of the more outspoken members at least would write something.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

despite the "moderator" thingie on my profile

I don't think anyone takes that very seriously.

Glad to hear you'll be raising a stink. Raise it! I heard you like bacon. I will cook some for you.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I just can't believe that it is actually up for consideration AGAIN, didn't they get the message the first time around? NO INTERNET CENSORSHIP..

Yeah I know pirated software boo hoo.... I will also be raising a stink about this.....

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Count me in, no CISPA! It irks me they keep trying. Enough already!

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I agree that ATS should put this up. The banner contains a link to directly email your representatives, so it would get a lot more people to contact their reps than if they had to go and find them individually.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
ATS doesn't need any help with censorship. The mods have it covered.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Put it up! The more awareness the better. They are expecting this to pass due to apathetic people who think "it failed the first time it will fail this time without me helping anyways." I have already signed the Change.org petition and plan to sign anything else that comes my way.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Reddit, Craigslist and more than 30,000 other websites are flying the flag of opposition to the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, or CISPA, a controversial cybersecurity bill that was recently reintroduced in Congress.

The thousands of websites which oppose CISPA will, starting Tuesday, be displaying an interactive banner ad (seen below) from the Internet Defense League that allows voters to send the following message to their members of Congress: "CISPA is back. This bill sacrifices privacy without improving security. We deserve both."

I would really like to see ATS put this link up, and members actually click it and help with the cause.

This is just misdirection. every email you send gets stored and checked if it has keywords flag up. englands storage centre is in reading berkshire.

and there is a program on your computer that records what you are doing and is hidden on your pc do you not think they can access this?

I even had them switching my internet connection off whilst i was writing posts about him when i was fighting one of the scum in the uk a couple of years ago.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Many of us have, and do.

My congress critter and I are on, almost, a first name basis. Not sure she actually likes me, but she knows who I am... I'm fairly noisy.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I was interested in this as well, thought I'd do a search on it.

It's surprising to me that the ATS owners never commented on this, they were very outspoken about SOPA, but nothing about CISPA.

I'm thinking due to the recent DDOS on ATS, the owners might actually support CISPA since it would help in identifying and prosecuting those that commit DDOS attack.

I actually agree, I support CISPA...I don't see a problem with it.

join