It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS App????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I did a search and found this question asked before, but with no answer from either SO or Springer.

Will there ever be a proper android/iPhone app?

I spend 95% of my time on ATS on my phone, its just easier and more comfortable than sitting at my desktop for hours on end.

At the moment it is difficult to post anything other than a simple reply without it taking an age. I have looked at the thread which showcases your shiny new site Makeover, and if I'm honest it looks like it will be even more of a pain to use on a phone than it is currently.

I look forward to a response soon.

King
edit on 18/3/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

edit on 18/3/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Reply to post by kingears

This idea keeps bubbling up every few months. Since ATS is driven by ads (and lately they've gotten bad when it comes to bandwidth cost for ads), how would they payfor it and maintain it? Facebook has a hard enough time with keeping their app upright and it's a pretty lame interface.

ATS mobile is OK.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Reply to post by kingears

This idea keeps bubbling up every few months. Since ATS is driven by ads (and lately they've gotten bad when it comes to bandwidth cost for ads), how would they payfor it and maintain it? Facebook has a hard enough time with keeping their app upright and it's a pretty lame interface.

ATS mobile is OK.

I'm sure they could price it at 50p/$1 and plenty of people would purchase it. thus recouping any initial outlay for the development of the app, however I'm no business expert.

If i had the skill I'd develop one myself but unfortunately I do not.

As for the mobile site, imho its pretty poor by today's standards and very limited in its capabilities.

King

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I'm sure they could price it at 50p/$1 and plenty of people would purchase it

Almost no one would purchase it and they would be ridiculed for doing such a thing.

However, a free app might bring more folks to the site to bolster traffic. I have not idea, though.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Reply to post by Zarniwoop

Bolstering traffic might be a problem, as the backend of keeping the servers alive, secure, and serving has costs to it. Eventually you reach a point where, unless you bombard your visitors with ads, ad revenue just doesn't pay difference between hosting and letting people use. Then you get into things like selling user data to make ends meet, which would be the end of a conspiracy site.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Reply to post by Zarniwoop

Yeah maybe. The money in apps is having people buy your app and then not use or minimally use your service, so the people who were impulse buying off set the cost of people who do.

As far as ATS mobile goes, I like it. I also can do curses in command line.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop

I'm sure they could price it at 50p/$1 and plenty of people would purchase it

Almost no one would purchase it and they would be ridiculed for doing such a thing.

However, a free app might bring more folks to the site to bolster traffic. I have not idea, though.

Please elaborate as to why you would be ridiculed for purchasing an ATS app?

King

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Still waiting for the official word on this matter from SO or Springer..........................

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kingears

I meant that ATS would be ridiculed for charging for a phone app to access the site... not the purchaser. Maybe "ridiculed" isn't the best word choice, but It wouldn't be consistent with their coolness factor and most accessibility apps are free. The ad revenue seems to keep the servers running and they would risk losing some good karma by charging a fee.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop

I meant that ATS would be ridiculed for charging for a phone app to access the site... not the purchaser. Maybe "ridiculed" isn't the best word choice, but It wouldn't be consistent with their coolness factor and most accessibility apps are free. The ad revenue seems to keep the servers running and they would risk losing some good karma by charging a fee.

Ah ok, apologies for not fully understanding what you meant, thanks for clearing it up

King

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Having just read this...

Bill Irvine is the CEO and visionary behind Stremor Corp. No stranger to launching startups, Bill has been the driving force behind elevating a niche user-generated community from obscurity to six million monthly unique users and significant profit.

at Stremor.

We all know Bill as Skeptic Overlord so I'm pretty sure ATS is the site in question from my quote. So I think i can safely assume that money is not the issue when it comes to the lack of development of a mobile app.

It would be nice if someone of authority could come and answer my questions..

King
edit on 22/3/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
ATS could even make two apps...a free app with embedded ads and maybe access only to the forums, and then a paid premium app ($1-$5) with no ads and access to the forums, PMs, ATS Live, ATS Video, and Chat. I would gladly pay!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Still waiting on the official word........................

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I'm assuming that S.O. is a little busy today, cleaning up from yesterday's "mess".

He'll answer, it may take some time though.

Have a good one.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Fingers crossed, thanks for the reply

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

It's my understanding they are working on a whole site redesign that would work for desktops or mobile.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
So here we are again, just about 3 years since we began our last redesign, and it's time to push the mothership into this decade with a completely new "front end" that's compatible with modern browsers, and much more efficient.

I'm beginning a massive overhaul of ATS so that we end up with what's commonly known as a "Responsive Web Application" -- or -- a website that works normally on your desktop/laptop, yet gracefully scales down to run like a app on your smart phone and tablet.

Thread by SkepticOverlord here.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Thanks for the quote and link. Hopefully it does what it says on the tin

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Still waiting on that answer.........................

Only posting so this doesn't get buried

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

This is as "official" as we can get at the moment. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thank you for the reply Springer, looks like I need too learn how to use eclipse and try to develop my own ATS app

Mods you can close this thread now

top topics

join