It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US have increased their oil output by at least 900,000 barrels a day and done it in just a year.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
so sad

this should be about solar geothermal and wind power and bio fuels and wave power

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
sorry...
but I didn't see any of that in the title of this thread

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

That all refineries are not the same is my point.

Refineries that refine light sweet crude are going out of business because light sweet crude production is in serious decline, and it ain't coming back.

So they are going to have to invest in tight oil/waxy refineries, which are probably going to be more expensive to build and run.

So you don't have any information on world oil production that gives light sweet crude numbers either?

Saudi production was at 9.5 Mil per day, the US was at 6 mil per day, increases production by .9 mil per day, and now out produces the Saudis? This numbers don't add up.

Sounds like Saudi oil production is in steep decline.

edit on 15-3-2013 by poet1b because: Add one more point.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

sweet crude is coming out of the Bakken......it is increasing.....will continue to do so.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I live in one of the frack zones. I do worry about the environmental ramifications. We are in the process of preparing to build the dream house (don't get jealous yet, it's a long process and will be a three year plan for us) and I spend a lot of time looking at frack sites, acres that have gas agreeements, and their proximity to land I would (otherwise) be interested in building on. We are looking to pick up several acres and around here that either puts you on property that has a lease or borders one -- I don't want that. So, the environmental damage is a real thing.

In terms of where we got all that oil since the fracking is for gas - we also have the ability to extract oil from sites that would have been unthinkable only a few short years ago. The tar sands in Canada are a good example. And, it is very, very dirty. I was more up on the day to day of the Canadian connection a couple of years back but at that time my understanding was that NAFTA precluded the Canadians from refusing American companies from coming in and developing sites. Forward and brainstorm, and I wonder how much of the oil we are claiming on the books is actually Canadian but developed by American companies....?

As to how I feel about it? You already know I don't want to raise kids on land where I am worried about the safety of the water. I don't really worry about earthquakes (my fracking isn't in the New Madrid -- there I would be inclined to worry), just water. These sites all would need wells as there isn't a public water supply. A public supply would be safer in my opinion. That said, we need to be energy independent. We need to not send money to countries that hate us. We need to take their money instead. Onward! But regulate and observe...protect the environment as much as possible --and for God's sake -- put at least a touch of tax on it to pay for clean up, education, and off set property taxesd. Yeah, Corbett -- that one was aimed at you! Pennsylvania was raped for resources in the days of coal. Can we at least pretend we learned from that and act accordingly this time?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
so sad

this should be about solar geothermal and wind power and bio fuels and wave power

If it makes you feel any better my region of the fracking also has some steep wind investment and increasing instances of geothermal (though that is still "exotic" in this neck of the woods).

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

There is infrastructure being built, but until recently, most wind farms had no power lines to extract energy. Look up "Wind Energy Transfer Texas" or "WETT". Our area is just now being tied into the ERCOT grid.

Regardless, when you need the most energy on the hottest days of the year, there is hardly any wind. This means that even though you have windmills, the diesel and coal generators must be kept running in idle so that they can pick up the slack at a moments notice.

You save very little by using wind. It mostly just makes people feel good about themselves when they buy "green" energy.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeyluv

Your link says the same thing I have read everywhere else. This oil has been known about for a long long time, but wasn't worth going after until now.

If someone posted something to prove points made by the article to be wrong, that would be something, but that is extremely unlikely.

The silence is thunderous.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

For how long and how much?

Got any links to back your claims?

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Current draw does increase load, which means when the wind mills are running, they reduce coal consumption.

I would guess that when it is hot, and there isn't much wind, solar power would be kickin it.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

We don't have integrated grids. Texas has a much larger one, but there are still 4 smaller ones. Nationally, there is no integration.

Where I am from....it would be suicide to put in solar. Since 1992 I have seen 5 separate hail storms that have produced softball sized hail, on two of those occasions winds exceeded 130mph due to macrobursts. Solar has been considered....and dismissed because of hail.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
In smaller perspective, ND has been dropping slightly. And this was a super easy winter.

The number of barrels pumped daily fell to 738,000 for January compared to 770,000 for December.[/ex

Local newspaper bismarck tribune

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa

Originally posted by Cancerwarrior

Originally posted by Teye22
...and the price at the pumps keep rising! Geeeez....What's wrong with this picture?

Thanks for posting.
edit on 14-3-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

It always will. Domestic oil companies will just sell whatever oil they drilled at home overseas. They make more money selling it to foreign countries. That's why "drill baby drill" will never make gas prices go down at home.

uh.....look that up.....the U.S. does not export oil.....that includes domestic companies.....that includes non-domestic companies drilling in the U.S.
------------------------
While we are on the topic of gas prices......do you people think that a barrel of oil equals a barrel of unleaded gas or gallon of oil equals gallon of gas? If you want cheaper fuel prices than you need more refineries. Nobody wants a friggin refinery being built where they live for starters......do a google search for a barrel of oil pie chart and see how much of each barrel of oil is used for what? See just how different Canadian heavy crude is to North Dakota Sweet crude......

People get a clue before thinking that the price of oil and the price at the pumps go hand in hand. We are rocking the ignorance on this bad boy thread.

www.upi.com...

There ya go.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I could see how that could be a problem.

I wonder how expensive it is to create glass covers, possibly magnification lenses.

Or expand the grid, and produce electricity in the southwest desert.

Oh well, this is off topic.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think we are going to need oil for a long time. These shale oil fields will produce oil for a very long time. It is labor intensive, and will contine to demand technological innovation, which means it creates jobs, that will pay good money, so this very good for the US economy.

And I bet that as the tech improves, it will become far more environmentally friendly.

What this does state, IMO, is that we are entering a new era.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Even better, expand the grid by making buildings out of nanosize piezoelectrics.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

I totally agree! If they are cranking out so much oil, why are Americans paying such high prices for gas?? This makes absolutely NO sense!!

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Interesting concept. Generate electricity from building motion?

How difficult is it to make pizo crystals?

edit on 16-3-2013 by poet1b because: Change . To ?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

www.eia.gov...

there ya go.

find me an article that shows the U.S.A. sending a single oil tanker full of crude to another country that has purchased it.........It is a matter of national security why we don't export our "unrefined" black gold.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by starskipper
In smaller perspective, ND has been dropping slightly. And this was a super easy winter.

The number of barrels pumped daily fell to 738,000 for January compared to 770,000 for December.[/ex

Local newspaper bismarck tribune

Wrong! The reason for the drop WAS THE WEATHER! You obviously don't live on the East coast nor in the midwest of the U.S.............Last year on this date, it was 80F here in Minnesota....tonight about 5F in the same spot.....don't talk to me about easy winters.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join