It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When does it become Reverse Racism?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Okay, BIG Star for you. Nice graphic to throw together on a spur of the moment. I really had a hard time believing this myself for how far the language goes ...but as you can see, it connects out to supporting sites for the story and material. It appears to be real in all ways to me. I'd love to have that proven otherwise but I don't think it's the case this time.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
reply to post by inverslyproportional

You apparently didn't understand my post. This is about an entire race, not on an individual basis. Sorry you had a rough time but the majority of whites did not have the roadblocks that the majority of blacks did.

In case youdont understand, this nation is not built on a group basis, we are all individuals.

Hence plenty of blacks make it just fine, and plenty of asians dont, the same can be said of any demographic.

I think what your meaning to imply is that rich folks are doing quite well, and everyone else isnt doing so hot.

It is not a race problem, it is a class problem, no matter what race you can name, some of them do well, most do not.

Your reasoning is based on illogical assumptions, formost of these seems to be that if your white the world is rainbows and butterflies, but if your black your doomed to the worst life possible. Which is of course ignorance at its finest.

Any individual can achieve and accel, they just need opportunities to do so, no matter the race or background. Most people dont get an opportunity, it is not a black issue excessively, there are only so many seats at the table, and those already sitting dont wanna share or give anyone else a turn.

All the problems you think blacks have, so do everyone else, stop blaming individual success onr failure on race, it is an individual issue, not some broad sweeping racial discrimination issue.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

If you have parents that don't read or read well, were not brought up with books or taught to succeed because they were constantly discriminated against, they aren't going to pass that along to their children. What they are going to pass along is what they know, hatred, fear, violence, hopelessness. 
reply to post by Hopechest

Thanks for clearing up your point for me, as I already stated, that was my childhood, and I am white, guess what else, I educated myself, as my parents were too busy sucking ass to be bothered with teaching me anything, but that " kids should be seen and not heard". Which was one of their favorite quotes, thats before my dad left and I didnt see him for 5 years, it is tough being dirt poor in a bad neighbohood, with no support or home life of any sort.

Though I am not using this as a crutch, I am using this as motivation to do much better for my children.

I guess only whites can accomplish this though, as blacks just somehow arent able to overcome a broken home like every other race does right?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Nope, I'm speaking about the advantages and disadvantages of whites and blacks and how they have progressed differently for each race in America.

I'm sorry you don't see the larger picture. Apparently you believe that upbringing doesn't matter and that parents don't instill their beliefs on their children.

Do you really think that a family that sits down with their children every night to have dinner, helps them with their homework, takes them to school sporting events isn't going to be better off than a family that neglects their children to do drugs, lets them skip school, or doesn't care what their after school activities are?

Its all up to the individual according to you.

Certainly people can break out of it but not everyone is as intelligent or as independent as yourself. Don't assume that because you did it that its easy for everyone.
edit on 13-3-2013 by Hopechest because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I don't know anywhere else it is better to be black in the world than it is in America??? I don't know of anywhere else in the world where they get the opportunity and uplifting social programs they do right here in the USA... If they are not thriving in the next generation or 2 I think maybe we should just give up......

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
I don't know anywhere else it is better to be black in the world than it is in America??? I don't know of anywhere else in the world where they get the opportunity and uplifting social programs they do right here in the USA... If they are not thriving in the next generation or 2 I think maybe we should just give up......

As each generation grows up without the selective laws and overt discrimination they will slowly become adjusted to that and pass that along to the next generation who will grow up even better.

We have definitely turned the corner but it will take a bit. Its only a matter of time.

Situations such as what was described in the OP are actually holding this process up in my opinion. It has to simply happen.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Hope I just dont think we are gonna change eaxhothers minds here. I see people, some do well others do not, some have broken homes, others do not.

Before anyone goes down the wrong path and does the wrong things, they as an individual make those choices for them selves, this is why the individual goes to jail for individual offenses, or gets to have a mansion etc..

It isnt all black folks mansion when one finds success, any more than it is all white folks success or failure when one of us does or doesnt do good.

Every person in the country is on their ticket, they will or will not do well by their own hands. Sure luck plays a part, anyone can see that, but luck cant be counted on, which is why the word lucky exists, to denote someone who just. Has better luck than others.

This is gonna be my last response to you in this thread, as I dont see us finding any common ground we can both stand on, I am here and you are there, with a deep uncrossable chasm between us. I thank you for your time, and as always find your words to be full of heart, I just dont think your reason is able to influence what your heart feels.

Good evening, you misguided overly caring and loving little sprite.
edit on 13-3-2013 by inverslyproportional because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

According to your logic 2 wrongs make a right or are "making it right" as i should say
I'm sorry for what your family endured in the past but be reasonable and try to keep your emotions out of the conversation.
White privelage may have been true in the past but we aren't living in the past so there is no reason for this crap to be acceptable. Blacks may have had it bad 40 years ago but that doesn't excuse the actions and privelages and favoritism that are being dealt out here in the present.
I understand your points of why things are the way they are and if you really think about what you are saying it can be seen as you saying that they are almost incapable... kind of like you're making excuses. I know you mean well and you are sincere in your thoughts. For the record i am not offended by you or your thoughts on the matter.

edit on 14-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Your use of the term "Reverse Racism" doesn't help, racism is racism regardless of which side it comes from.

nail on the head, imo the adding of "reverse" to the term just lends the impression that it's the bleating of someone who doesnt like a level playing field, thats how i see it when it's used here in the uk, anyway.

ETA: may as well just call it what it is, rascism. changing the name reduces the ability for people to examine it and stop it's use as a "card" by whiners of any colour. eventually folk may stop using it as a crutch and we can all just busy oursleves with thinking of the children and so forth

edit on 14-3-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You're like most misinformed, misguided angry folks...There is no such thing as reverse racism.

Just racism.

This thread should be trashed just for the sheer stupidity, ignorance & embarassing headline your wrote.

edit on 14-3-2013 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Anytime race is a factor in making a decision or forming an opinion, regardless of positive or negative, it's racism. Racism is wrong no matter what the context.

If someone is left out due to their race, it's racism. If someone is included only because of their race, it's racism. Nobody should be punished or rewarded simply on the basis of their race, ever. If you reward one, you punish another.

"Reverse racism" is just as bad, if not worse than what we consider traditional racism. It's still singling people out due to the color of their skin instead of their ability or contributions. As long as ANY form of racism exists, either positive or negative (depending on your skin color), there is not a level playing field and the people who use race as a deciding factor are WRONG and should not be allowed to do so.

I've seen people put into positions due to nothing more than race (in both senses) and they have been failures, they have done more damage than good. Race is not a factor that can be used to determine anything positive.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
If we just took race out of the equation, and quit separating based on it, it would quickly become a non-issue.

I once went to a private school that had kids from over 60 different countries (SAIS-R if you must know, now it's called AIS-R)....race was NEVER an issue there.

Sure has changed...though it's been over a couple of decades, hehe...

www.aisr.org...
edit on 14-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I have to say that you hit it well by saying so much less than I did to get there.

The only solution I see in the long term is, simply, to remove race as a dividing and focusing factor in every level of daily life. From a job app to a government form..everything asks and then sorts and divides by race. For a society claiming on one hand to care about moving beyond racism as a whole, we're a society more locked and focused on perpetuating it than any elsewhere that I know of.

The more people focus on making life about race with the intent to avoid it ...the more they encourage and nurture that very thing, IMO.

@ Thread

Some seem challenged for the definition of what I chose to use in my thread title. Well, I looked it up for clarification as a formally defined phrase:

reverse discrimination
n.
Discrimination against members of a dominant or majority group, especially when resulting from policies established to correct discrimination against members of a minority or disadvantaged group.
Source

The definition fits what I was looking at and describing perfectly, in terms of the question my title opened with.

edit on 14-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor correction

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Stars for you. You get what racism is and it's not simply disliking someone because of their race,, contrary to popular belief. Racism is systematic and designed to keep the predominate race dominant. I often hear talk about the United Negro College Fund. There's more black guys in the pen than in college, so how's the UNCF working out for black people? Jim Crow still exists, it is wearing a suit instead of overalls today. Some black people can be prejudiced, but racist? I think not, as we have no power to exert racism. We don't own or control anything.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by poloblack

Stars for you. You get what racism is and it's not simply disliking someone because of their race,, contrary to popular belief. Racism is systematic and designed to keep the predominate race dominant. I often hear talk about the United Negro College Fund. There's more black guys in the pen than in college, so how's the UNCF working out for black people? Jim Crow still exists, it is wearing a suit instead of overalls today. Some black people can be prejudiced, but racist? I think not, as we have no power to exert racism. We don't own or control anything.

Quite possibly the most ignorant post I have ever read on ATS! We have a sitting black president and a black attorney general, and blacks have no power to exert racism?
Omg please go on to tell me how blacks are so oppressed and that they can never succeed because someone didn't hand them a top paying job because of their skin color.

This story is so old I am just sick to death of it. There are more wealthy black americans today than there ever has been, it's the ones that don't try to do anything with their lives that sit around and cry about being oppressed. You make your life your own no matter which paths you choose to take, and I'll let you in on a little secret it doesn't matter what race you are, if you commit a crime you will be punished.

edit on 3/14/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Wrabbit, I'm with you on this one. I believe that racism is being kept alive and well by the same fools who pretend to care so much about the injustice of it all. They're trying to milk this "white guilt" thing for all it's worth, to the detriment of all races.

I have olive skin and curly hair, but I am not Mexican or part black. However, as a child in the 60s, I was treated as a "minority". I have experienced white kids in my neighborhood who were told not to play with me. I have experienced Mexican and black kids who were disappointed that I wasn't "one of them" so they didn't play with me either. Explaining that my father was from southern Europe and my mother's family from Spain didn't help me with anybody. They wanted to put me in a box, and I didn't fit their preconceived notions.

As an adult, I lived in a heavily hispanic area in central California. The Mexican clerks at stores would be friendly until they heard me talk and realized that I wasn't one of them, so they became nasty. I had my baby daughter in a restaurant with me, and because she had red hair and blue eyes, people were whispering that I had "stolen her". Complete insanity, all the way around.

My point for this disclosure is that the constant emphasis on race is having a negative effect on our society. To continue to harp on it, bring it up, and push acceptance of different cultures in people who have been here for a few hundred years, yet there is no assimilation, only division, is completely asinine.

The term "reverse racism" came about because, apparently, only white people can be racist. I can tell you from personal experience, that is total nonsense. But that is how screwed up we are in this country. The arbitrary division based on skin color and hair type is, I believe, part of a larger agenda to keep us divided and at each other's throats.

I am a human being. I am caucasian (although I don't look lilly white, so most small brains are confused by that admission). My folks didn't get here until 1950. We had no part in America's slave-owning past, just her future. I find it annoying as hell that it has gotten to the point when one race has to be made to feel guilty, to keep apologizing, and to kow-tow to other races because of some distant past they had nothing to do with.

As far as I'm concerned, setting the bar lower so that certain races will not feel bad hurts us all, and insults them.

Get rid of all special priviledges for certain races. Stop keeping yourselves voluntarily segregated with things like "our music", "our tv shows", and "our culture". We are all Americans. If we cannot meet on that common ground, then we're doomed......exactly as planned.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by EllaMarina
More like when does it become total absurdity.
I'm not sure what the point is to teaching white people that they "have it better." It may be true that the world is in a sense biased towards whites, but there's nothing to gain from implying to them that it's their own fault.

One word...Guilt.

When someone feels guilt they can be manipulated.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

Quite possibly the most ignorant post I have ever read on ATS! We have a sitting black president and a black attorney general, and blacks have no power to exert racism?
Omg please go on to tell me how blacks are so oppressed and that they can never succeed because someone didn't hand them a top paying job because of their skin color.

This story is so old I am just sick to death of it. There are more wealthy black americans today than there ever has been, it's the ones that don't try to do anything with their lives that sit around and cry about being oppressed. You make your life your own no matter which paths you choose to take, and I'll let you in on a little secret it doesn't matter what race you are, if you commit a crime you will be punished.

edit on 3/14/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)
I'm far from ignorant, my friend, but thanks all the same. Do you think Obama has any real power? He was selected because he can implement things that a white president couldn't because he's black and any opposition would be considered as racist. He's a puppet, and so is Holder. How can they exert racism? They can't and won't because someone behind the curtain is calling the shots and it ain't some black dude, genius. Your first line in your post describes your own post. What else do you have besides that sorry ass example?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Internet users make me laugh sometimes. Stop talking about it. The level of intelligence here is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I'm far from ignorant, my friend, but thanks all the same. Do you think Obama has any real power? He was selected because he can implement things that a white president couldn't because he's black and any opposition would be considered as racist. He's a puppet, and so is Holder. How can they exert racism? They can't and won't because someone behind the curtain is calling the shots and it ain't some black dude, genius. Your first line in your post describes your own post. What else do you have besides that sorry ass example?

Your far from ignorant, yet you go on to basically say that even though a black man has achieved the highest position of authority that someone else (white) put him there and he is just a black puppet?
Oh does it ever end? Is there ever a situation where some white guy/s are not to blame? I would think not according to you. I bet you curse white people when you stub your toe, or spill your coffee too.

And as far as not being able to exert racism? What about the fact that it was stated Eric Holder would not prosecute any black on white crimes? Seems pretty racist to me....

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join