It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Cancer? What causes it? Is it curable?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

MamaJ,

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I can't imagine how painful it is to lose a child.

The medical field is a frustrating group of people, especially when you are desparate for a solution.

My condolences.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

And the parasite mutates quickly so if said antibodies or enzymes to fight them are produced, they mutate, and in fact use this change, to mark you as a perfect host for others, proliferating their existence and survival.

You're not getting it.

Parasites don't mutate, only in sci-fi scenarios. In reality, parasites attach to a host, and feed, period. They present symptoms, and while true that specific tests must be run, parasites are multi-cellular organisms. The utilize the host for their own survival, so what is the point of causing uncontrolled cell growth? They are pleased as pie to survive in their little niche, but they do nothing to affect the host, other than sucking up the excess energy the host provides.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by Logos23

My daughter is 11 now and all the sign's and statistic's suggest there is a very good chance that it won't ever come back ( I'm sure you will know with the studying you did relating to ALL that childhood ALL has a VERY good cure rate with chemotherapy)

I think you love her even more. She's a survivor.

What strikes me most about your post is that she was 6 when she underwent chemo. We've already stressed that cells duplicate, and each nucleus is a copy of a copy. Children have had fewer copies, and adults, many, and logic dictates that if the abnormal cells are removed at an early age, the cells won't produce as many bad "copies" of the nucleus.

Following the same logic, the later in life you produce cancerous cells, the less likely a recovery. But, that is not true. Case studies present survivability regardless of age. That's an anomaly that needs addressed.

I am extremely proud of her and love her more than i could ever convey on here. She blesses me every day.

I read what you said with interest.....the kind of leukaemia my daughter had apparently is not as treatable in adult's and those children over 12 months but less than 10 year's of age have the best prognosis.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Skittle

Cancer is a disease related to your diet, an autoimmune disease. It means that if you don't treat your body properly you will get the big C.

So kids getting cancer? Are they to blame?

Honestly, kids are innocent, and they haven't had the time to partake in all the things that are bad for us.

Please, re-think your thoughts.

I'll agree with your point if only adults got cancer. Cancer doesn't discriminate.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

Thank you to you and Druid.

It IS frustrating.... still. The kids and I go out to the hospital periodically to see the staff who still remain. We talk about times past and how things have changed. Don't get me wrong, I am sooooo glad they have changed the protocols now and its more of a kid by kid basis. It still hurts to the core to know IF they had done what they could... by ANY means possible, he may be here today.

It hurts because I couldn't save him, no matter how many times I prayed, begged the Dr's, studied... nothing worked.

Im glad for the years we had with him, I am. I just don't know how to express all that I have in me right now. Mixed emotions. Lot of them. I hate it too because its hard to think about him and hard not to.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Loss always takes time to heal.

There's no timeframe involved, and while I have also lost loved ones, we all learn to cope in our own way.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

You are not angry at me, channel your anger at what you can change. I cannot control who gets a disease or not.
Children should be protected by all of us, including their parents and their siblings.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Without affending, google burrowing parasites. There are many. They such blood, and feed on skin, and cause wounds in doing so. I would put to you, that perhaps, you are not getting it. They don't just live "happily in their own little niche," just occupying us for the sake of a home. They live off our lifeblood, our bodies and digest these, putting out their waste and changing out metabolism as a marker to make you a home or a perfect host for even more. I have, unfortunately, had to research this quite thoroughly. The point of the cell response or mass, is they leave a wound, feeding on us as they do. Cells then congregate to that area in an effort to heal said wound. And there lies the rub. Never able to heal this wound as the parasite is still feeding and wounding, the cells keep reproducing, eventually turning into a terminal mass.

Again, when I have the time, I will return with medical abstracts to prove this point.

The utilize the host for their own survival, so what is the point of causing uncontrolled cell growth? They are pleased as pie to survive in their little niche, but they do nothing to affect the host, other than sucking up the excess energy the host provides.

Their survival doesn't just mean finding a good home inside our bodies. They FEED upon us, necessarily causing wounds. Also there is much recent research to show that they do, in fact, mutate, rapidly, in order to become resistant to drugs and pesticides used to eradicate them. In fact, an argument can be made, with accuracy, and especially in the cases of insects and parasites, that they mutate rather frequently and rapidly. Absolutely everything in nature mutates to achieve survival in a changing environment, and to resist the onslaught of predators, natural or otherwise, which would negate their existence. This is the point, frequently in nature, of mutation, and adjustment to a change in the environment or predatory presence that would spell their end.
Mutation, in fact, in a very integral part of survival of any kind in nature, or perhaps even in a mechanically, algorhythmically produced "reality," or what we currently describe as nature. It is, in fact, a known, accepted and
oft observed part of the world we inhabit, natural or otherwise. Speaking here to genetic manipulation, or eugenics. But mutation itself, is hardly sci fi. And even if it were, Sciene fiction, by definition is science that we may regard as a fiction, but totally scientifically possible, observed or proven yet or not.
And these mutations I speak of, are definitely observed, present and happening at this very moment. And I think with more study into parasites, you would find they mutate more prolifically and rapidly than almost any other lifeform.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skittle
reply to post by Druid42

You are not angry at me, channel your anger at what you can change. I cannot control who gets a disease or not.
Children should be protected by all of us, including their parents and their siblings.

I really don't know where you are going with that are what you are suggesting?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
For starters,only: www.ncbi.nim.nih.gov...

Paneth cells (reviewed by Cunliffe and colleagues1,2) are granulated epithelial cells found at the base of small intestinal crypts. They are most numerous in the terminal ileum and are not found in the normal colon. They secrete a variety of antimicrobial peptides and proteins, including α-defensins, lysozyme, and secretory phospholipase A2 (sPLA2), in response to bacterial products and cholinergic agents. There is a link between intestinal inflammation and Paneth cell number. In mouse models of enteric infection, Paneth cell hyperplasia occurs in response to signals from activated T cells, in mouse models of ileocolitis there is Paneth cell metaplasia, and in inflammatory bowel disease, Paneth cell metaplasia is also seen in the colon. Parasite infestations also induce an increase in the number of Paneth cells in the murine small intestine.

edit on 13-3-2013 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
more:

People believe that internal organ or intestinal parasites are are limited to Third World countries
and that they are uncommon in the U.S.

Nothing could be further from the truth !

Recent studies it has been estimate that 85% of the North American adult population has at least one form of internal parasite or organ parasite living in their bodies.

Some authorities feel this figure may be as high as 95%.

How can we possibly get infested by parasites in the United States?

Here are just a few of the ways:

increased international business and tourist travel,
armed forces returning home,
immigration,
contaminated water supplies,
swimming in contaminated lakes and streams,
your pets or other peoples pets,
food supplies, such as pork, processed meats, uncooked meats, chicken, lamb, and even fish may contain human intestinal parasites and organ parasites – to name a few.
The lack of treatment for intestinal and organ parasites is the #1 contributing factor in the prevalence of colon parasites, intestinal parasites and organ parasites in people - and it is solely responsible for infesting other people with the same unwelcome guests.

link

further, same source:

Intestinal parasites and organ parasites cause physical damage to the body by perforating the intestines, circulatory system, lungs, liver, other organs and tissue essentially making Swiss cheese of them. Food allergies, for example, may be one of the indications of a parasitic condition of the intestine which allows food to leak into the lymph system, causing an immune response to the leaked material.

Further:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Human parasites can irritate, inflame and coat the lining of the intestines causing symptoms of this disease.

Joint and Muscle Aches and Pains: Parasites can migrate and become enclosed in a sac in joint fluids, worms can do this in muscles as well.

Anemia: Some intestinal worms attach themselves to the lining of the intestines; feeding on the vital nutrients of the host.

Allergies: Parasites can penetrate the intestinal lining allowing large undigested food particles into the body which can create the immune system response that is often assumed to be an allergy.

and lastly, at least from this source:

Intestinal parasites and organ parasites cause physical damage to the body by perforating the intestines, circulatory system, lungs, liver, other organs and tissue essentially making Swiss cheese of them. Food allergies, for example, may be one of the indications of a parasitic condition of the intestine which allows food to leak into the lymph system, causing an immune response to the leaked material.
Weaken, damage or block certain organs just with their presence.
Lump together into a mass. Parasites may exist in the brain, heart, lungs, other organs, structures and tissue of your body.
Weaken the host by robbing the host of essential nutrients, taking a portion of the nutrients on which the host depends.
Poison the host with their wastes. In the best case, the host does double duty disposing of its waste and that of the parasites. Worse, when the host has difficulty disposing of the parasite’s wastes, a poisoning occurs called verminous intoxication.
Fool the host’s immune system into believing the parasite is part of its body. The parasitic population is allowed grow unaffected by any of the body’s normal defense mechanisms.

I will return with more, though don't think anyone really wants to read this, but i think it is very important information.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Link, American Society of Parasitologists

Jilong Shen b, Robin B. Gasser a, Deyong Chu b, Zengxian Wang b, Xiaosong Yuan b, Cinzia Cantacessi c, and Domenico Otranto c
bDepartment of Microbiology and Parasitology, Anhui Medical University and the Provincial Key Laboratory of Genomic Research, Anhui, China
aDepartment of Veterinary Science, The University of Melbourne, Werribee, Victoria 3030, Australia
cDepartment of Animal Health and Welfare, University of Bari, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Valenzano, Bari 70010, Italy. [email protected]
The oriental eyeworm, Thelazia callipaeda (Spirurida, Thelaziidae), infects a range of definitive hosts, such as dogs, cats, foxes, rabbits, and humans. This parasite usually lives under the nictitating membrane of the eye, where the adult females release first-stage larvae into the lachrymal secretions; these larvae are subsequently ingested by the intermediate arthropod host within which they develop to the infective, third-stage larvae. The latter larvae are then deposited into the eyes of the definitive host. Recently, T. callipaeda has been reported to infect dogs, foxes, and/or cats in Europe (Italy, France, and Germany). Human thelaziosis (HT) is considered to be an underestimated parasitic disease, whose prevalence appears to have increased in poor socioeconomic settings in many Asian countries, including China. In humans, the disease can be subclinical or symptomatic, exhibiting epiphora, conjunctivitis, keratitis, excessive lachrymation, corneal opacity, and/or ulcers. Knowledge about HT is presently fragmentary and mainly limited to clinical case reports. This article provides a background on the parasite and its life cycle, reviews cases of human thelaziosis, summarizes key aspects regarding the diagnosis of thelaziosis, and proposes future research and methods of control of the disease in humans, particularly in Asia.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Tetra, thanks for posting medical studies... but I'm a bit lost.

I know you were discussing parasites, but I kinda got lost in the debate.

When you post the study could you give a one or two line statement of what you are trying to show in the medical study so I can follow you a little better.

Much thanks.
I really am interested.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Last source I will give, as it is a medical abstract and I am not sure I should be quoting it here without paying for it; however, it provides very clear evidence of the link between parasitic infestation and cancer, specirfically:

Recent advances in the fields of molecular biology, epidemiology and infectious diseases have led to significant revelations to clarify the relationship between cancer and infective agents. This article reviews the relationship between parasitic infections and carcinogenesis and the possible mechanisms involved. Few parasites, e.g., Schistosoma haematobium and Opisthorchis viverrini have been found to be strongly associated with bladder cancer and cholangiocarcinoma respectively. The evidence for the association of several other parasites and cancers has also been postulated.

Keywords: Cancer, Cysticercosis. Liver flukes, Parasites, Schistosomiasis, Trichomoniasis, Toxoplasmosis

Link: Association of Parasitic Infections and Cancers

Recent advances in the fields of molecular biology and epidemiology have led to significant revelations to clarify relationship between infectious agents and cancer and have given valuable insights into the molecular basis of carcinogenesis. Rous in 1911 is credited as being the first person to show that cancer can have an infectious origin, when he demonstraed cell free filtrate from chicken sarcoma to cause cancer in a second animal. Between 1931 and 1972, 26 mammalian oncoviruses were discovered. In response to these discoveries, the US virus cancer programme was initiated in 1960s marking the start of the era during which the infectious origin of cancer became a dominant hypothesis.[1] It is estimated that over 15% malignancies worldwide can be attributed to infections; the figures are higher in developing countries to the extent of 22% compared to about 7% in developing countries. The incidence of malignancy due to an infectious cause is about 1.2 million cases per year.[2] This also implies that at least some of the cancers are preventable and should be a thrust area for research.

Infectious agents including parasites that have an oncogenic potential are often highly prevalent within the host population. They persist in the host and removal of the parasite may result in reversal of tumor development. However, high prevalence of parasitic infection in the general population, their persistence in the host, co-infections with other microbes and other interacting factors like nutritional status etc. make the establishment of relationship difficult.[1]

Infections in general can initiate or promote carcinogenesis by any of the 3 main mechanisms:

Chronic inflammation due to prolonged persistence of infectious agent in the host: Phagocytes at the inflammatory site release reactive oxygen radicals and reactive nitrogen radicals having the potential to damage DNA, proteins and cell membranes, alter enzyme activities and gene expression which in turn can induce carcinogenesis. Moreover, chronic inflammation leads to repeated cycles of cell damage and compensatory cell proliferation, thus promoting neoplasia.[3]
Insertion of active oncogene in the host genomes: This usually occurs in oncogenic viruses. The oncogenes may inhibit tumour suppressor genes or directly stimulate mitosis.[4]
Reduced immunosurveillance as a result of immunosuppression: In all the forms of immunodeficiency, the relative risk of developing tumors, especially those in which viruses are known to play a role are greatly increased. The course of cancer in immunocompromised host is generally aggressive although other risk factors remain unchanged.[4]
This article reviews the parasitic diseases associated with neoplasms

further:

Toxoplasmosis

There are a few reports in the literature about the relationship between Toxoplasma gondii infection and tumours including primary ocular tumours, meningioma, leukemia and lymphoma.[46] Zhang et al described two cases of pituitary adenoma associated with T. gondii .[47] The toxoplasma cysts were found among the tumour cells and were verified using T. gondii specific antibody by immunohistochemistry.[47] In another study investigated in two parts,[48] one based in Adelaide, South Australia, and the other based in Melbourne, Victoria, all tumors were verified histologically and IgG antibodies to T .gondii were measured by ELISA. Both the studies suggest that the possession of antibody to T. gondii is unlikely to be a risk factor for glioma. The Adelide study provides some evidence that seropositivity may be associated with meningioma.[48] It has been demonstrated in experimental studies that exogenous prolactin has antiparasitic effects.[49] Thus, the postulate has been put forward that overstimulation of pituitary gland to fight the parasitic infection, may lead to adenoma formation. However, no further research regarding the role of Toxoplasma in tumorigenesis has been reported.

Neurocysticercosis

Neurocysticercosis (NCC) caused by the cysticerci of helminth Taenia solium has recently been associated with local malignant tumors particularly glioblastoma multiformae and even neoplasia originating outside the nervous system e.g., the malignant haematological diseases. One study found NCC to be a risk factor for development of cerebral glioma.[50] The odds ratio was 7.63(95% confidence interval 2.03-31.09).[50] The possible mechanisms may be:

a) Chronic inflammation leading to release of nitric oxide in brain which is a potential carcinogen.[51]

b) The parasite induced modulation of host immune response leading to inhibition of tumour suppressor surveillance mechanisms.[51]

c) The transfer of genetic material from parasite to host causing DNA damage thus predisposing to carcinogenesis.[41]

In an epidemiological study, the NCC was found to be more frequent in cases with malignant haematological diseases than in controls.[52] The odds ratio for this association was 3.5 (95% confidence interval 1.2-9.8).[52] It has been shown that the chromosomal aberrations induced in peripheral lymphocytes during NCC could be an important factor.[53] Further research is needed to confirm the potential role of cysticercosis in carcinogenesis.

In summary, whereas some parasitic infections like O. viverrini and S. haematobium are very strongly associated with cancers and are important predisposing factor for specific cancers, some other parasites may have probable role in development of certain cancers. Early diagnosis, prompt treatment and prevention of such infections may help in significant reduction in occurrence of these cancerous conditions.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Julie Washington
reply to post by tetra50

When you post the study could you give a one or two line statement of what you are trying to show in the medical study so I can follow you a little better.

Much thanks.
I really am interested.

If you read the discussion between Druid and I, he disputed that parasites could be a leading cause of cancer, as well as other diseases, predominantly unrecognized and untreated in this country. If you are confused why I am citing all this medical mess, it is because he disputed my claim. And I resolved to return with sources, proving my contention. Therefore, there you have it. Google parasitic infection in humans, links to cancer and other diseases, including but not limited to Toxiplasmosis, or T. Gondi, which we have recently have threads on ATS about in that it can infect the brain and produce schizophrenic like symptoms, and often goes undiagnosed.

You see, blood, or even other medical tests, only look for certain conditions, usually what the physician expects to find. These tests don't detect every possible situation or infection. Point being, you have to be looking for it. Most in this country do not feel parasites are a problem for anyone but third world, tropical countries. I dispute this. And also believe it goes largely undiagnosed, and may, in fact, be one of the leading causes of cancer, as well as Chron's disease, and dare I say, an increased diagnosis of schizophrenia and bipolar disease, rising among the American population every year.
Nor do I think this has been a secret to TPTB--not doctors, necessarily. Their hands are tied many times just like ours are.... Hope that clarifies what I am posting for you.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

There is a wealth of information out there is only you look for it. And much of it relates directly to cancer, schizophrenia, liver disease, all linked to parasitic infestation, which was previously thought to be only something those "dirty, underdeveloped, third world countries" suffered from.

We are being dulled, misinformed, and allowed to get sick and sicker, with research into this only beginning, and usually in other countries, because no one here, apparently wants to admit the scope of the problem and what it could mean to our health.

Am I still not getting it, Druid?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Oh, sorry, Druid42, see you left us before I could make good on my promise of sources. Oh well. Here's hoping you'll be doing some reading, and hopefully, stop telling me I am not getting it, since I provided you a wealth of sources and there are far more out there. No offense intended, of course. Just like to back up my word with facts, whatever facts may be. But I found the best I could. Plenty more, but didn't want to bore, shock or scare anyone with anymore truth.

link   

Originally posted by tetra50

reply to post by tetra50

Much thanks.
I really am interested.

If you read the discussion between Druid and I, he disputed that parasites could be a leading cause of cancer, as well as other diseases, predominantly unrecognized and untreated in this country. If you are confused why I am citing all this medical mess, it is because he disputed my claim. And I resolved to return with sources, proving my contention. Therefore, there you have it. Google parasitic infection in humans, links to cancer and other diseases, including but not limited to Toxiplasmosis, or T. Gondi, which we have recently have threads on ATS about in that it can infect the brain and produce schizophrenic like symptoms, and often goes undiagnosed.

You see, blood, or even other medical tests, only look for certain conditions, usually what the physician expects to find. These tests don't detect every possible situation or infection. Point being, you have to be looking for it. Most in this country do not feel parasites are a problem for anyone but third world, tropical countries. I dispute this. And also believe it goes largely undiagnosed, and may, in fact, be one of the leading causes of cancer, as well as Chron's disease, and dare I say, an increased diagnosis of schizophrenia and bipolar disease, rising among the American population every year.
Nor do I think this has been a secret to TPTB--not doctors, necessarily. Their hands are tied many times just like ours are.... Hope that clarifies what I am posting for you.

Yes thank you. That is very helpful.

I do believe what you are saying... I also believe that this ties into a vitamin c definciency as well.

Alas I am too tired tonight to search the medical records for the connection... but I bet you will find them... maybe tomorrow.

It all ties into cellular breakdown, which is what vitamin c fixes.

Good work.

link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

Did I answer your question, Julie? Thanks for that. I gave you an answer to the vitamin c cellular connection below.....
I will continue research tomorrow, as I too am exhausted. Take care and have sweet dreams.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

reply to post by tetra50

Much thanks.
I really am interested.

What I am trying to show is the obvious link between cancer, liver failure, immunilogical diseases of all sorts, caused by parasitic infections, which Druid 42 disputed. So I provided sources. Clear now? Thanks, Julie.

I can't provide much more really. It;s all out there for anyone willing to do the research. Vitamin C is certainly a part of it, but I don't think entirely the answer. In other words, once the onset of disease, I don't think the vitamin c therapy can save you. Your body can no longer assimilate it to save you and reverse the already done damage. The onset of the disease, through parasitic involvement or environmental exposure or radiation or other chemical exposure has already done the damage and limited your body's ability to absorb what it needs to repair its cellular damage. Just my opinion. But thanks for the kind words.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join