It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maryland lawmaker proposes legislation to punish school administrators for idiocy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Well, it would seem that the first piece of common sense legislation is seeing the light of day, at least in one state. Suspending and punishing small children for chewing a pop tart into the crude shape of a gun is beyond stupid, it borders on pure unadulterated ass hattedness.

Lets put the blame where it belongs when we hear about something this foolish in the news shall we? Instead of punishing the child, lets punish the idiot administrator that thought it was a good idea to throw a fit over a plastic army man on a cupcake or a fire arm pastry. Accountability needs to start now for these morons.

Maryland lawmaker introduces bill after pastry 'gun' suspension

A Maryland lawmaker has introduced legislation after a 7-year-old boy in his district was suspended for shaping a pastry into what his teacher thought looked like a gun. The Star Democrat reports that Republican Sen. J.B. Jennings introduced a bill that would prohibit schools from suspending students for seemingly harmless childish acts, such as playing games with fingers pointed like guns or chewing food into the shape of a firearm. "These kids can't comprehend what they are doing or the ramifications of their actions," Jennings told the paper. "These suspensions are going on their permanent records and could have lasting effects on their educations."

Exactly!

He told the paper the legislation includes counseling and disciplinary procedures for school administrators who violate the guidelines on school punishments. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

A law that actually makes sense. As refreshing as it is astounding. Applause for this lawmaker and this legislation. Hoping this passes and sets a president that you can't be a total d-bag fear monger when your teaching other peoples kids.
edit on 3/9/2013 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Please use EX tags, not QUOTE for external content.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I like it, but the real problem is all of these zero tolerance policies. Forget new laws. Just get rid of the zero tolerance policies and treat the cases individually, as they should be.

It really is that simple.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Sweet.

Yes, finally some legislation that protects children form the idiots who run the school system.

Good lord, suspended for making shapes eh? Could you imagine this happening even 15 years ago? Our society has run so far to the left or right, it's hard to distinguish crazy from normal anymore.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Good lord, suspended for making shapes eh? Could you imagine this happening even 15 years ago? Our society has run so far to the left or right, it's hard to distinguish crazy from normal anymore.

I agree completely. Everything is zero tolerance, there is no buffer, no grey area and room to even be a normal child anymore in this America. You know there is a serious problem when the rhetoric and political drivel not only reaches but affects our innocent children. I have seen and heard about so many of these incidents over the last 3 months and the one thing they all have in common is that they are completely disgusting and all speak very loudly about how far out of whack we have become in sensibility.
edit on 9-3-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
YES! bumped and gratefully. It's no wonder Lincoln had to jail the whole
Maryland legislature to keep the state from seceding... common sense!
Damn, we've gotta nip this in the tuck... they're right next DOOR. AAghh.
Seriously Helious, if we just exercised a couple of stray synapses in
the classroom after getting a Teaching Certificate (I heard they're tough
to acquire) we wouldn't be here.
By the way where are we now-- Marengo or Minsk? LOL
edit on 9-3-2013 by derfreebie because: Almost had to call Max Von Sydow for the synapse deal.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It's about time that someone recognized that it's these stupid zero tolerance policies that are the root problem. Children need the capacity to express themselves -- it's a vital part of growing up. Punishing kids for, well, being kids is morally reprehensible. Thank goodness for the return of common sense.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
A good step in the right direction. Maryland in my home state, but it is one of the most ruled states in the U.S. It's one of the highest tax states in the Union.

There would be no way I would return there. Governer Mike O'Malley is introducing extreme gun laws that will put people in harms way. Did I talk about the high taxes?

Too many doo-gooders in Maryland. I will never go home.

edit on 9-3-2013 by SinMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker
A good step in the right direction. Maryland in my home state, but it is one of the most ruled states in the U.S. It's one of the highest tax states in the Union.

There would be no way I would return there. Governer Mike O'Malley is introducing extreme gun laws that will put people in harms way. Did I talk about the high taxes?

Too many doo-gooders in Maryland. I will never go home.

Maryland is indeed a repressive state by nature. I was raised in Michigan, another mostly repressive state. I have become forced to look at individual actions by individual lawmakers in order to find anything positive lately. Truth be told, I can't even believe somebody had the balls to propose this legislation in the state of Maryland. Makes me smile.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Sadly op, this will never pass, none of the laws are worth a crap ever do.

Propose a law that gives children a mandatory minimum for thinking of playing with a toy gun at home, when on school property though, I bet it would get overwhelming support.

Sadly, this is the world we are in these days, common has long been absent, and any who would try to bring it back are ostracized, and thrown under the bus.

Star and flag op, and stars for everyone else, as you have all had very good points.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
Sadly op, this will never pass, none of the laws are worth a crap ever do.

Propose a law that gives children a mandatory minimum for thinking of playing with a toy gun at home, when on school property though, I bet it would get overwhelming support.

Sadly, this is the world we are in these days, common has long been absent, and any who would try to bring it back are ostracized, and thrown under the bus.

Star and flag op, and stars for everyone else, as you have all had very good points.

Thank you and sadly, I fear you are correct about this not passing. The thing is though, by it being brought to the table and into the pubic spotlight, it brings light to the fact that there is something very wrong with what is currently being done in schools right now. Believe it or not, there are plenty of people who think this is status quo for what we should be doing and it's completely normal because nobody is challenging it.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Reply to post by Helious

I currently live in Maryland and I think this specific case is being highlighted due to its sheer idiocy. I can say from personal experience that it is likely an overreaction of the specific school's administration.

Just this past week my son's friend brought a nerd gun onto the bus. Since my son handled the toy I received a call from the assistant principal just to make me aware of the situation - that's it. Disciplinary action was left to the parents and nothing implicated on permanent records.

I feel this is exactly how it should have been handled for the case in question.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Does ATS have a zero tolerance
for hate crimes/speech.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Sounds like a good law to follow in penalizing stupid legislators and their stupid ideas.

Reminds me of the law one must wear panties on Sunday specifically for women - don't spit on the sidewalk - don't pee on a hidden bush in public, No Public Toilets here so # your pants instead.

All nude children are ripe for pedophiliacs (sarcasm) how about all nude adults are ripe for papi and mami philiacs in children.

Back in the day when men married 12 year olds - you would call her Grandma - not a case of pedophilia.

Playing cowboys and indians is not racism.

Little girls playing with girl dolls is not lesbianism.

Little boys playing with their penis is not homosexuality or evil it is just body exploring.

Standing up for your own morals or beliefs is not radical terrorism - its' called freedom of speech.

Playing the game war is not different than playing with marbles or toy guns/fingers.

Legislators suggesting or sponsoring bills that are known by common sense to not be Constitutional is treason at the least.

Supreme Court Justices who fail to recognize invasion of civil rights and liberties are guilty of stupidity, party cronyism and should be removed from their supposedly blind Justice positions.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Thank you for this post, Hellious, you seriously just made my day.
After reading so many things lately about how schools are completely over-reacting to such ridiculous extremes, it's nice to see someone with common sense working to put an end to it.

I can only hope that it has a snowball effect, and works it's way over here to CO. Apparently my state is pretty retarded on this subject as well.

edit on 10-3-2013 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
i wish they would do
this in several states

join