It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panspermia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
For the believers in this theory.

Note, yes it IS possible but:

From WHERE, and HOW did it come to be THERE?

If you can answer that then i think we can establish
a theory of abiogenisis too.

Because, if it could START there, then why couldnt it
have started HERE aswell?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Are you asking us to compile your theory for you?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

No.
I just want YOUR input to as WERE they come from and HOW they
got there...
I mean, if that cant be answerd then "GOD" theory is just as good.

I dont wanna know how they got HERE as in "To Earth". Ok..
and no, i dont want YOU to compile MY theory.
I just wanna know, if panspermia, then HOW did they get THERE...

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

No.
I just want YOUR input to as WERE they come from and HOW they
got there...
I mean, if that cant be answerd then "GOD" theory is just as good.

"I don't know, therefore God."

Holy cow, your logic is flawless! I bow to your superior reasoning.

As to the rest of your question: same way Russia's meteor ended up where it did.
edit on 9-3-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Well, if the Russian asteroid contained lifeforms, how did the lifeforms
get on the asteroid?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Source

Researchers simulating conditions in deep space have backed the theory that life on Earth may have been kickstarted by a comet. They found that the complex building blocks of life could have been created on icy interplanetary dust and then carried to Earth, jump-starting life.

In an ultra-high vacuum chamber chilled to 10 degrees above absolute zero (10 Kelvin), Seol Kim and Ralf Kaiser of the Hawaiian team simulated an icy snowball in space including carbon dioxide, ammonia and various hydrocarbons such as methane, ethane and propane.
When zapped with high-energy electrons to simulate the cosmic rays in space, the chemicals reacted to form complex, organic compounds, specifically dipeptides, essential to life.
At UC Berkeley, Mathies and Amanda Stockton then analyzed the organic residues through the Mars Organic Analyzer, an instrument that Mathies designed for ultrasensitive detection and identification of small organic molecules in the solar system.
The analysis revealed the presence of complex molecules – nine different amino acids and at least two dipeptides – capable of catalyzing biological evolution on earth.

Basically, take a comet, zap it with high energy particles and wallah, you got the building blocks of life. From there, slap into a rocky body with lots of fun chemical soupy-ness going on, and over time with lots of other comets with building blocks slamming in, and soupy fun happening with atmospheric chemistry, Dr. Frankenstein's giant electrical discharges, etc, etc ... we get "It's Alive!"

Eh.
We've got good indicators so far, at least.
Nothing conclusive, of course, but, even with conclusivity, believers (in whatever) will believe whatever it is they believe contrary to any conclusions despite, and even in spite of said conclusions.

edit on 9-3-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
Source

Researchers simulating conditions in deep space have backed the theory that life on Earth may have been kickstarted by a comet. They found that the complex building blocks of life could have been created on icy interplanetary dust and then carried to Earth, jump-starting life.

In an ultra-high vacuum chamber chilled to 10 degrees above absolute zero (10 Kelvin), Seol Kim and Ralf Kaiser of the Hawaiian team simulated an icy snowball in space including carbon dioxide, ammonia and various hydrocarbons such as methane, ethane and propane.
When zapped with high-energy electrons to simulate the cosmic rays in space, the chemicals reacted to form complex, organic compounds, specifically dipeptides, essential to life.
At UC Berkeley, Mathies and Amanda Stockton then analyzed the organic residues through the Mars Organic Analyzer, an instrument that Mathies designed for ultrasensitive detection and identification of small organic molecules in the solar system.
The analysis revealed the presence of complex molecules – nine different amino acids and at least two dipeptides – capable of catalyzing biological evolution on earth.

Basically, take a comet, zap it with high energy particles and wallah, you got the building blocks of life. From there, slap into a rocky body with lots of fun chemical soupy-ness going on, and over time with lots of other comets with building blocks slamming in, and soupy fun happening with atmospheric chemistry, Dr. Frankenstein's giant electrical discharges, etc, etc ... we get "It's Alive!"

Eh.
We've got good indicators so far, at least.
Nothing conclusive, of course, but, even with conclusivity, believers (in whatever) will believe whatever it is they believe contrary to any conclusions despite, and even in spite of said conclusions.

but what are the common origins of a comet ? how does the life forms get on it in the first place ?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

um, did you read the article, or any of the ex-text?

There's a big difference between building blocks of life and life.

The article I linked says (me paraphrasing in simple to understand words):

Comets = frozen chemicals floating in vacuum.
Stars = high energy particles; electrons, gamma, lots of zip and zap.

Comets get zipped and zapped by the the energy from stars.
Shake and bake over time, and wallah, the Building Blocks of life are made.

This has been replicated in the lab, according the article cited.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

but what are the common origins of a comet ? how does the life forms get on it in the first place ?

Can you show where anyone in this thread has claimed that there were "life forms" on a meteor or comet? Individual amino acids and peptide chains are not "life forms".

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Could be SENT like Project Genesis. Nice name

www.startrek.com...

Project Genesis was a theoretical process to terraform dead planets by means of a genetic explosion that would reduce the surface of a planet to its elementary particles.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Therefore humanity has considered this as well or detected it within the Genetic Collective somehow.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Interstellar space is an abundant nursery full of prebiotic molecules. Molecules that play major rolls in the structure of DNA have been discovered in interstellar gas clouds. This means that important building blocks for DNA and amino acids can seed newly-formed planets with the chemical precursors for life.

It has been observed given the right conditions, molecules just spontaneously react on their own. Its all according to physical laws. Biology is just complex chemistry and chemistry is just complex physics. There's no inventing, thought process, or pixy dust... shi# just happens.

www.nrao.edu...

www.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 9-3-2013 by flyingfish because: More links

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
And by # happens, means # could just aswell have
started right here...
Buildingblocks might have been here from the getgo...
And isnt earth zip zaped all the time...?

What i know from Earth history the core was not allways this calm.
Magnetic fields might not have been soo shielding in the beginning.
edit on 2013/3/9 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Well, according our geological record which can be read back to Earth's early history before any indication of life ever existing existed, the planet's magnetic field would have prevented the extent of zippy zappy fun of high energy particles available outside the protective envelope of such.

That magnetic filed, however, may have been conducive toward, or key as a factor in allowing organized life to arise.

It's too early for anyone to say anything for sure.

We can replicate conditions on comets in vacuum, and through that replicate the production of pre-biotic chemistry.

We haven't created life from scratch yet, but, what we know from what we can replicate gives us clues as to what is probable over possible with there being a big difference between probable and possible.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Anythings possible, even pink fairy's, but if your looking for answers to these complex questions you must be willing to look at the evidence.
The evidence suggests that building blocks of life formed after the earth cooled and it's probable that these complex molecules originated from interstellar dust clouds.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
so science still can't go from soup to cells with membranes ? mitochondria ? spindle fibers ?

still haven't found the magic lightning or the monolith ?

txs for the update, lol

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Nothing worth having, including the knowledge of how to create life from base chemicals should ever be expected to be easy.
If we used magic lightning bolts, or monoliths, hey, that might work, but, the Romans had magic people with magic lightning bolts, and monoliths, and all sorts of magic stuff and, well, the Romans, and their Religion are long long long dead and gone to dust and mythology as many other religions with magic lightning bolts and monoliths like Norse mythology with Odin and his spear, Thor and his thunder hammer, the ancient Egyptians and all their gods and magic ... all gone to dust.

No, history has shown that magical thinking is a sure way to go extinct.

Sticking to methodologies that can be reliably observed, and replicated by peers with rigorous prejudice and bias against error seems to be working out better than magic.

Magic is for lazy worthless layabouts lacking any reliable facility for any real work.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
So these buildingblocks could NOT have formed here on earth
from the start.
Is that what your saying?

IF that is, then Life on other planets is 100% true.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Not necessarily so.
Right now, there's no absolute definitive.

It's okay to say "I don't know", and, right now, we don't.

We've data indicating possibilities and probabilities, but, nothing absolutely confirming.

Look at it this way; If you buy some furniture from IKEA, you're going to have to assemble it. It comes with instructions. You follow the instructions, and, wallah, you have some new furniture.

With life, the opposite is true. We have a complete assembled product sitting in front of us, whether it's another human, or just smear of green algae on a slide, we've got Life sitting right here in front of us; fully assembled and ready to go.
Where are the instructions for putting it together that came with it?
Well, there are none, and, so, being the curious animals we are, we're taking a step by step process in attempting to figure out what the assembly instructions are for the creation of life.
Step 1: Assemble some certain chemicals
Step 2: Place chemical soup into certain conditional state (in the case I've described; frozen vacuum).
Step 3: Bombard conditionalized chemical soup with various sorts of zippy zap (in this case high energy partcles)
Step 4: Review the results
Step 5: ???

It'd be nice to have some magic wand to s'plain it all away, but, this aint the movies, or some interesting work of literature. Real life and making progress on certain fronts just isn't going to magically progress like a well written story arc in a novel or TV series.
Look at the "Atomic Age", for instance. Where's the flying cars, cities on the moon and vacations on Mars?
Futurists at the dawn of the Atomic Age projected such wonders.
Sorry, no, not all things are as simple or predictable as Moore's law of computing where advancements and progression can be reliably predicted.

Ask and ask and ask away where life came from and how it came about, but, without an entire data set confirming unambiguous step-by-step instructions on how you too can create life from base elements, you're looking at answers like this, or worse; those claiming some magical mystery invisible mighty man made it all so.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Dont get me wrong here...
I belive its either Panspermia OR abiogenisis.
But abiogenisis is imho MORE plausible than
panspermia..

Panspermia: The buildingblocks have to come from somewere.

Abiogenisis: The buildingblocks formed HERE when earth was formed.

And AbG seems more likely to me.

God, naaa....
Jesus was just another copycat...
Bible is just another copy of a rewrite of another books copy...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join