It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanoparticles loaded with bee venom kill HIV

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

news.wustl.edu

Nanoparticles carrying a toxin found in bee venom can destroy human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) while leaving surrounding cells unharmed, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have shown.....

.... The finding is an important step toward developing a vaginal gel that may prevent the spread of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7-3-2013 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Yay for bees. I can see a bunch of college guys running around hitting bees nests to get "vaccinated". *sarcasm*

With all the bee die offs, is this a concern or just another university with one-sided results trying to "shock and awe" the scientific community?

I personaly, think, there has not been enough studies done on natural cures due to so much money in the "pill cures". Honestly, if we could get stung by a bee and be cured of HIV, where is the money for Big Pharm.? (yes I know a simple bee sting is not the cure)

news.wustl.edu

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catalyst317

news.wustl.edu

Nanoparticles carrying a toxin found in bee venom can destroy human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) while leaving surrounding cells unharmed, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have shown.....

.... The finding is an important step toward developing a vaginal gel that may prevent the spread of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

Will this gel be like the last gel that made the women get it easier?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by D_Mason

news.wustl.edu

Will this gel be like the last gel that made the women get it easier?

Please enlighten me as I do not know what you are speaking of.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

No offense to the OP but it never ceases to amaze me that a technology that has been around for 10's of years, possibly hundreds, gets recycled by some university as NEW. Bee venom therapy has been used since the 80's in treating MS and since the early 20th century for arthritis, a known immunological disorder as well as other immunological disorders. Seems to me AIDS/HIV is an immunolgical disorder. Next the university will discover that real bees produce real bee venom or they'll try to patent the Em chord like Metallica LOL.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I guess they better get to work figuring out how to make artificial bee venom because the bees might be extinct before too long.if it took them another 20-30 to make this discovery they might not ever have made it because bees might be extinct by then.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Most of the bees that are dying are farm raised bees that were not native to the US in the first place.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Man thats gotta hurt. Reminds me of an old joke that went around when I was in grade school...
Pretty cool idea though, I bet some equally important breakthroughs will come on the heals of this tech.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

I'm pretty sure that if bees go extinct HIV will be the last thing we will be worried about.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
Most of the bees that are dying are farm raised bees that were not native to the US in the first place.

That`s not true.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Random fact:
You know that Aerosol can that they spray into the shoes at a bowling alley every time you return them? That stuff kills HIV. Says so on the bottle. ( I worked at a bowling alley when I was 16.)

As much as i love natural cures, ive got to admit...a bee venom "vaginal gel" does not sound...uh...inviting.

edit on 7-3-2013 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2013 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus

That`s not true.

www.sciencedaily.com...
The honey bee is not native to North America; it was introduced from Europe for honey production in the early 1600s, Johnston said. Subspecies were introduced from Italy in 1859, and later from Spain, Portugal and elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Only the most fundamentalist member of the church of environmentalism would not want to risk killing bees to stop AIDS. But then again envronmentalists are typically middle to upper-class americans that shop at organic markets and drive hybrids while HIV disproportionately effects black people in Africa, gay males and IV drug users.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus

That`s not true.

www.sciencedaily.com...
The honey bee is not native to North America; it was introduced from Europe for honey production in the early 1600s, Johnston said. Subspecies were introduced from Italy in 1859, and later from Spain, Portugal and elsewhere.

It`s not true that it`s just european honey bees that are dieing off.

Google
Searches related to bumble bee die off
About 1,400,000 results

edit on 7-3-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

The honeybees are the ones dying off mostly, nearly all the statistics come from beekeepers.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
They can eventually synthesize bee venom and lock it in the nano-particles, leaving regular bee's alone.

Though it will probably bee another 10-20 years beefore we see this hit the market

Edit*** heads up, the part of the venom used for killing the hiv is called melittin. Likes like there already exists a synthetic version of melittin. We may bee alot closer to a cure
edit on 8-3-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Its mostly commercial bees because of commercial beekeeping practices and pesticides and bees used to pollinate mono-crops. It's not because they are not native to north america they are having the same problems in Europe also where they are native due to commercial practices and pesticides.

Natural bee keepers and wild colonies are not having any of these problems. The bees will not go extinct they are far to adaptable and resilient.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
Though it will probably bee another 10-20 years beefore we see this hit the market

Free giggle in the morning, priceless

Only the most fundamentalist member of the church of environmentalism would not want to risk killing bees to stop AIDS

When you wrote this one, maybe you just didn't give it a lot of thought?
If we killed all bees for any noble cause whatsoever, you do know what would happen right?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

I personaly, think, there has not been enough studies done on natural cures due to so much money in the "pill cures". Honestly, if we could get stung by a bee and be cured of HIV, where is the money for Big Pharm.? (yes I know a simple bee sting is not the cure)

Uhhhh, just where do you imagine Big Pharm is getting molecules to test against various maladies? From a big cauldron on the fire? What do you think the status of bees in the environment would be if it was discovered that the only cure was to slather oneself with the contents of a hive? Don't you think it might be a good idea to investigate the toxicity and curative powers of these things, identify the active ingredients and eliminate the things that might cause problems, such as allergens? Those "pill cures" are mostly derived from natural cures. Keep taking the aspirin from the bottle, and save the willow trees.

Al Einstein once said, "If the bee disappears from the surface of the Earth, man would have no more than four years left to live.” Pretty perceptive for a Princeton professor of physics.
edit on 8-3-2013 by puncheex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Its sad that it has taken HOW many years and HOW many deaths for information such as this to be made public...
and it really boils down to the basic fact-
The money to be made from natural products, remedies, and treatments- is little to none in comparison to what the existing pharmaceutical and medical industries bring in.
So while there currently is probably a natural cure for almost any ailment, the average human will be lucky to learn they exist in their lifetime.
I mean, HIV/AIDS has been around for what, over 40 years now? In 1991 Magic Johnson announced he had the disease and not too many years later it was rumored that he was cured. While the public never was told this directly
Michael himself stated

the HIV virus in my blood system and in my body have laid dead in a sense

PBS interview with Michael Johnson 2011

So the people with the money seem to have access to some form of treatment that millions of others DONT.

How can we continue to ignore this problem any longer than we already have?!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join