It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cover-up by potatoe chip and cracker companies(even matzos)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Originally posted by Aleister
I "gave up" potato chips and french fries almost a year ago. But I still eat whole potatoes cooked in a microwave (then seasoned with olive oil, and "chicken" seasoning - with no meat, it's meant to be sprinkled on a chicken corpse I guess) and enjoy pretzels. How am I doing according to this data?

Thanks for the thread. If this gets one person to get themselves off of the addictive good stuff (french fries. ummmmmm, I used to eat bags of them), you will have done them a great service.
edit on 7-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

i think a microwave potato sprinkled most likely with MSG is probably a bunch worse for you than a bag of chips.

Why would I or anyone sprinkle it with MSG??? I'm talking of taking a couple of plain potatoes out of a potato sack, stabbing a few holes in them for air release, and microwaving them on a plate for 16 or 17 minutes or so (depending on the size of the potatoes). Then cutting them in half lengthwise, cutting some creases in them so the olive oil can seep in, then comes the olive oil and topped off with seasonings, which do not include MSG.

Seasonings can include garlic powder, pepper, balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast, standard seasonings from a shake-bottle, chives, and many more. As a vegan I wouldn't use butter, and that sounds gross thinking about it. There, now you have a microwaved potato recipe fit for a king, or at least William and Kate's new kid if they feed her right.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Anybody have a link to the original study?

According to this Fox news article, The Great Potato Chip Scare, you have to eat unreal amounts of foods that contain acrylamide to even come close to the amounts consumed by the rats that showed the slightest increase in cancer.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
But I still eat whole potatoes cooked in a microwave...How am I doing

Boiled or waved is fine, no acrylamides will be produced. You only get them when you get over 120C, and the stuff starts to get that nice brown crust, like a french fry.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX

How about foods that are baked, without using fats of any kind?

Like hot air type ovens? Would that still produce the nasties?

Yep. Baking, grilling, or frying produce acrylamides in starchy foods like breads and potatoes. The more you brown the food, the more acrylamides you'll get.

Can i ask OP, what is a Paleo diet? Is it...you're not going to say raw meat or something are you?

Oh, that was me, not the OP. Paleo (in my case the post-modern paleo diet variation) tries to stick to foods you'd have had available 5000 years back or so, before the introduction of grains. Basically, you eat meat and eggs, plus any non-starchy veggie, plus fruits to some degree. Not so many root veggies, although some are ok. No grains, no legumes, no sugar, no processed foods. No potatoes. No dairy (although I still use hard cheese as a 'spice' or flavoring).

I eat a lot of veggies on this. Even so, I do sort of hover on the edge of ketosis when I'm being really strict but it's not like Atkins where you're ketotic all the time. I eat nuts and a small bit of dairy, plus some root vegetables like turnips or rutabagas, so I'm not hardcore paleo. I do find I am a lot more clear-headed, don't have joint pains and sleep better when I'm on paleo, and if you look at my blood work, my C-reactive proteins are maybe 1/4 what they are when I eat junk food. So for me, bread and sugar are definitely inflammatory.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I come across this thread as I'm chowing down on a bag of Cheetos...

*sigh*

Now I'm so depressed, I think I'll grab a beer.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
MMm food. I haven't had any packaged fried potato product in a very long time. Nor have I used a microwave in almost a decade (it is not healthy to eat microwaved food.)

Then with the potato, chances are high that the potato was grown in monocropped (meaning no diversity in the field, just potatoes every year.) In order to offset the loss of soil nutrients, the farmers will use lots of chemicals and fertilizers to give the plant nutrients and keep the insects away. The potato absorbs those chemicals.

Also I'm surprised no one mentioned the chance of eating potatoes high in scopolamine. Young, green colored insides of potatoes are a sign. Also the potato eyes have higher concentrations of scopolamine, did the company cut all of the eyes from each potato?

When it comes to frying it depends on the oil, its smoke point, and how much it has been used and reused. Most of these processed food companies/fast food places reuse the oil until its basically dead and then added as an ingredient to the food.

So bottom line, I would't eat that stuff ever, and don't plan on it. I like to know how/where/who was growing the food I ate.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines
Also I'm surprised no one mentioned the chance of eating potatoes high in scopolamine. Young, green colored insides of potatoes are a sign. Also the potato eyes have higher concentrations of scopolamine, did the company cut all of the eyes from each potato?

I think you mean 'solanine'. Scopolamine is a bit different.

When it comes to frying it depends on the oil, its smoke point, and how much it has been used and reused. Most of these processed food companies/fast food places reuse the oil until its basically dead and then added as an ingredient to the food.

In terms of acrylamide production, you don't have to fry. Baking, grilling, frying, broiling, any of it that gets hot enough to brown the food produces acrylamides. Oil doesn't figure into it.

eta: microwaving food is no different than any other method of heating.
edit on 8-3-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Just curious... but why does this matter?

Are you suggesting companies no longer sell potato chips? What will that fix? If this toxin is in tons of stuff, potato chips aren't going to solve anything.

Do you suggest making it illegal to bake bread? Or fry veggies? I just don't get the point of this thread. You obviously see a conspiracy somewhere, am I part of this conspiracy when I make bread at my home, or fry up some potatoes on the skillet?

If it was only companies selling products that contained this toxin than I could understand your point.... but this toxin appears in tons and tons of food, whether made at home, grown all naturally, etc. It doesn't matter. You don't eat enough of it to give you nerve damage anyway. People having been baking bread and frying things on heat for a long time.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
"Even Matzoh", matzoh is not fried, it is baked, very quickly.

Bread has acrylimides in it too, yet most of the human race has survived on it for millenia.
Plus who ever said potato chips and cookies were good for you?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
All of the food giants collude. All that matters is shelf life, repeat consumers and increased profits.

There is a new book coming out Fat, Sugar, Salt or something like that which is going to shed light on exactly what length these criminal capitalists will go to in order to hook life long heavy eaters. Chemistry shows that some of the ingredients and shady practices are as addictive as any drug.
edit on 3/7/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

Kos I agree but also feel it goes deeper than just the food industry. I (gut feeling) honestly feel that there's involvement of our medical industry (a for-profit industry in the US) that perpetuates these issues and WANTS people to be unhealthy and sick.

A healthy person isn't a repeat customer.

Example: We knew 20 years ago that diabetes was an issue and showed no signs of slowing down. The response? More clever marketing, more artificial ingredients, more drugs, more efficient blood-test strips?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Originally posted by Philippines

I think you mean 'solanine'. Scopolamine is a bit different.

In terms of acrylamide production, you don't have to fry. Baking, grilling, frying, broiling, any of it that gets hot enough to brown the food produces acrylamides. Oil doesn't figure into it.

eta: microwaving food is no different than any other method of heating.
edit on 8-3-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

Yeah you're right on the solanine, and potatoes do contain scopolamine, as well as lots of other nightshades. The potato tops (greens, fruit, etc.) are not edible by anything. However the sweet potato tops are, which I prefer anyways (sweet potatoes.)

When it comes to the Maillard reaction, of baking, grilling, frying, broiling etc. (browning), I was talking about how the oils used also contribute to being unhealthy as far as fast food and commercially processed foods. It really depends on the process of the cooking and the ingredients used.

Microwaving is different than other methods of heating because it's using (micro) radio waves to generate heat from the inside out as opposed to conventional heating methods. Supposedly this alters the food in some way, and I would have to do some real research to debate this, which I would, but don't feel like right now =D

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join