It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anything real on here?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I just read through the whole "halloween hoax-tribute" thread and nobody answered the question I asked there. I'm new here and I thought this was a serious site. Then today happened. Call it a hoax or a tribute it was still a lie and misleading to anyone reading this site. When I signed on yesterday I agreed that I would not knowingly post false or misleading information just for fun. What was this today then. And the people who are supposed to be checking for false and misleading posts were in on it. From reading other threads I see that this type of thing has happened before just not on this scale. At least not one that has been caught or admiited to. How many other inside jokes have been played where the insiders laughed at the rest of us in secret? So I am asking my question again. Is everything on this site a hoax or a "tribute" to someone? Could someone honestly tell me before I waste anymore time here?

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Oh for goodness sake, get a grip.

If you really think that the tons of stuff here is all fake, then maybe you should stop wasting your time. Use your common sence and stop trying to make a drama out of it.

[edit on 31-10-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Its my understanding that this was done as a tribute of "war of the worlds" in the spirit of Holloween. Its been fun, and nobody got hurt.
Rest of the time we fight amongst ourselves- but we enjoy it and come back for more.
Happy Holloween

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
You see things as I once did, however as long as you continue to blindly disbelieve that any of this is real; you will never know the real truth. Although there are somethings on this site which are obviously ridiculous, but while some of it may not be completely true, every conspiracy has some truth to it. Once you experience something that is life altering, then you will become to be more accepting to believing it more willingly.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The thing is, if a group of members got together and did something like this would they all be banned? I think so.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

The thing is, if a group of members got together and did something like this would they all be banned? I think so.

Truer words were never spoken

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysticseeker
(snip the anxiety post about ATS being real or not)

First impressions are important and obviously you didn't
receive a good one. But give ATS another chance because
these holiday times are often goofy in all media. Every
April 1 for example there is some funny story going on
in the regular media, or on the internet, that is almost
believable to some. ATS will give you a more "real"
knowledge domain to work with when evaluating what
is real or not.. but like everything on the internet one
should not believe anything without verifying the citations,
references, other evidence.. meaning often going to any
links listed and studying those, or even the library if that
is what it takes to evaluate references.

In any event even with the poor first impression it can still
lead you to ponder the bigger questions like:
"What is reality" and "Is it just a computer program running
on Gods'(?) computer" or "Is it just a dream that we awaken
from when we die?"

Or if you like to be morbid ask "Is reality anything at all?"
Maybe it is just "nothing" and there is no meaning at all to
anything.

In which case we could all have a good laugh.

[edit on 31-10-2004 by mockan]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Huria
You are right. If members had done this they would have been banned and rightly so. Anyone who purposely violates the rules like this should be. In the future other members will most likely use this episode as an excuse to do the same thing and point to this as their defense. Which calls into question any future posts here. And Netchicken I am new here like I said. I have just started looking over this site and the posts. I haven't had the chance to come to an opinion as to whether it is fake or not. This stunt however goes a long way in swaying my opinion. I wonder how many other people had just found this site in the last few days and saw this go down. How many do you think will come back?

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Over generalisation. People generalize. Plain and simple. A lot of the stuff on this website is either real or fake. Not everybody knows. Some, if not most members (including myself) have experienced stuff that would be classified as extraordinary or unreal. But we know what we've experienced. Other things.... conspiracies for example can also be real, but it doesn't have to be for there to be interesting discussion. Underneath the "abovetopsecret.com" header on the top of the page, you see the subtitle "deny ignorance". That's what we try to do here on the page.

If you take this impression you have of this site (that it's all fake) mysticseeker, you might have to start asking yourself if everyone is than faking it. Thousands of different people all over the net, from all different parts of the world. Are they all faking it?? Are the thousands of posts members make everyday all fake??? Doesn't make any sense, does it???

Also we made the WOTW tribute obvious enough that members could figure out that it was fake.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I saw talk about the Halloween game prior to its taking place.

I have been on ATS for a while now and MOST things on this site can be deemed REAL, as long as you have an open mind to the esoteric.....not to mention the news here is more up to date than what the TV will tell you.

ATS does some very fun and interactive games........they had a FIND THE RINGS game that was all about breaking codes, and the winners found themselves getting genuine gold rings out of it......Of couse its easier to know about GAMES from the begining, and I did see new folks come to the site, and then freek out about the RINGS game. They had to have it explained to them.
I figured the Halloween game was such as that...something interactive to make this site a more vital place for us members to enjoy ourselves online. Nobody FORCES you to play along in the games, the choice is yours. Being a ATS member though gives you the benifit of being able to join in and participate in very exiting and mind challanging games offered on the site.

Just because you joined at the time of a game taking place does in NO WAY invalidate the topics discussed on this site. But I can understand why you would feel that way, and be confused and discouraged. Please take heart though.......how many other sites do you KNOW of that has such cool ways to stretch your mind and imagination? You should have SEEN the big brainiacs working on that RINGS game it was truly amazing. The games are ALWAYS anounced in advance so you know what is a game being played and what is ACTUALL discussion topics. Its just bad timing for you to have come in the middle of something like that taking place. Please dont let the 'ALL IN FUN' stuff discourage you from this very worthy site.

WELCOME TO ATS! a big smile to you from a Utah USA member!

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Huria86

I get that it was a "tribute" but it did sort of blow the site for me today. Many of the posts on the site are farfetched in nature and it made it impossible for me to tell the difference between the really farfetched and the "tribute" farfetched. Particularly being this close to the election when we thought there would be terrorist activities it really threw me for a loop. I can understand how to a newbie it could be off-putting...they have no sense of the history of really tight site oversite there has been. For me I figured I'd wait until tomorrow to peruse because I can't tell which threads are which. Maybe the threads could be filed or flagged in an obvious manner at this time to clarify for the unaware.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Thank you all for your responses. I'm sorry if it seemed that I was over-reacting to all this. I know that everything on here is not fake. In fact from what I have seen I believe the majority of posters really believe and stand behind what they post. That being said I also know that some percentage of it is someone's idea of a joke. That's true of any website. I accept that it is my responsibilty to check and verify any information I find here. I was just not aware that games and interactive dramas were mingled with the actual "real" posts. Is there any area of the site that is off limits for these type of games? Once again I'm sorry if I have over-reacted and I will withhold my judgement until I have enough time and experience to make an accurate one. I thank everyone for their welcomes.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Looking back at history.. The original War of the Worlds radio broadcast in the end had the exact same reactions we are seeing here. The vast majority picked up on it instantly .. while others seemed willing or wanting to believe... those are the minority. and that group complaines the most about what was done in the name of entertainment.

It is really amazing when you think about it, and how little things have changed since 1938... even with all of the advances in technology it is still up to each individual... The recreation of the war of the worlds here at ATS could not have been made more obvious to all that what was being posted was just that.. a recreation of Orson Wells War Of The Worlds.. Some said we made it too obvious!

Have we fogotten what it is to be entertained by things like this?

Seen any good horror movies these days?

I think the anger many now feel is caused by the fact that now in retrospect they see how painfully obvious it was just a recreation of the war of the worlds, leaving them feeling insulted and ashamed.

Its ok really... It happened in 1938 as well.

Orson Wells I am sure if possible is watching this and is very entertained by it.

Gazz

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This younger generation has absolutely no sense of humor. Its sad.
I bet these complaints are coming from those between 16 and 21.
There is nothing wrong with a good Holloween prank.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Im kinda tossed up about it. i know im new here, [been lurking for a few months informing myself] but its hard enuff to discern the diff between what is real and what is not...ALOT of reading and xreferrencing has to be done just to get to a point to say ya, thats believable. this forum can be a great source of information and a hilarious train wreck of info...so hehe ya it was a good one, i started to go for it till i did a google search. Just didnt see it coming from this forum, expected it from one of the mulititude of others that populate our only source of unbordered information. But Not Here. The rest are right, any other group would have been slammed to the curb perpetrating ?sp? such a facade early on. but well orchestrated none the less admins [bravo].

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I am a fairly new member here and I have to admit that straight through early this afternoon, I fell for the tribute. I did start to think about War of the Worlds and the fact that I knew it was broadcast on the same date but I didn't connect the names from that broadcast so I never completely figured it out on my own. Then I was in chat when others began to piece it together and someone actually found the War of the Worlds broadcast script. Though I was a bit embarrassed not to have done a better job of realizing it myself, it was still very harmless fun. It was also kind of exciting to have to keep it quiet once I and others knew.

Unfortunately, I couldn't participate in further perpetuating the tribute as I had to spend the rest of the day with my children, nieces, and nephews trick or treating and then having Sunday dinner but I still think it was a fine way to pay homage and have some fun in a unique and different sort of way. It also got my brain to thinking and to reminding me not to leap before I look carefully. I joined ATS because when I lurked as a non-member, I liked the fact that many stories reached here before other media and, more importantly, because the site made me think. This tribute simply helped to further that idea and yet allow everyone to loosen up a bit at the same time.

As to the fact that members would not be able to perpetuate such a gag, I agree. However, I also think that is how it should be. There have to be rules and if the Mods decide to have some harmless fun by circumventing those rules themselves in the spirit in which it was done, that's fine. But, such a decision should be up to the Mods and/or owner/s of this board and not its members. Once members are invited to play along, then it simply becomes more interesting and fun. As I see it, this is a private message board I joined to hopefully expand my mind. How the Mods decide to use this forum to help me do that is entirely up to them just as whatever I take away from this experience is entirely up to me.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Gazz and other mods question for you. I myself did not have the time in the last few days to keep up with the whatever it is we are calling it. I caught the beginning and that was really it. On a normal day however I would put a little more research into it and would have figured it out I hope. My question though and I think many members share the same question is this something we will have to be on the look out for from this point on? The simple point is I don�t want to have to watch out for the next time a tribute is being done either by mods and members, just mods, or just members.

By using this message board, you agree to the following:

1.) You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

No one seems to have a clear answer how this was not violated and it seems to be more talking in circles to save a few that have broken the rules then to actually uphold what a community is about. Now I am fairly new and have not been around all that long but I myself and from seeing others reactions believe many are upset with this lack of explanation or action. Many have also stated why this was not posted in the games section and this question although obvious has yet to be answered. My only thing is how is what was done not knowingly misleading.

dictionary.reference.com...

mis�lead P Pronunciation Key (m s-l d )
tr.v. mis��led, (-l d ) mis�lead�ing, mis�leads
1. To lead in the wrong direction.
2. To lead into error of thought or action, especially by intentionally deceiving. See Synonyms at deceive.
There is a justification in that individuals were not lead in the wrong direction instead they were lead to WOW but then that would be in the games section and with all the mods involved would it not then have been placed in the correct category. I don�t know as I said I am just new. But I believe skeptic can�t recall the post so I am recalling from memory but stated moderators are the same as members and get just as heated and involved. So my final question is what if me and 19 newbs started the same thing what would be the consequence. I fear the answer for the impending doom of this site either way you uphold the fact that mods are higher ups in this system or you let all heck break loose on this site. For this reason I feel that is why this question has yet and will never be answered but and mod willing please do.
Oh side note it was funny and I appreciate what was done from the humor end

[edit on 10/31/2004 by Flash__04]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
I have been on ATS for a while now and MOST things on this site can be deemed REAL, as long as you have an open mind to the esoteric.....not to mention the news here is more up to date than what the TV will tell you.

Exactly - you always have perfect words for the situation. Come with an open mind - research for yourself - draw your own conclusions.

BTW - dgtempe, you shouldn't be so hard on the people that were uncomfortable with this bit of theatre. Especially when you were calling for their heads yourself.

dgtempe said:

I agree. Its not funny and we should start with those who posted the original posts.

SO FESS UP

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Bleys, I was in on it. WilliamOneSac told me.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Congratulations, all. You got me - I believed the tribute to "The War of The Worlds" until I read the link saying it was a hoax

I believe this is a very good example to show how easy it is to trick a good many people wanting (or not wanting for that matter) to believe in things out of the 'norm. I have played with the idea of submitting a hoax (not neccessarily on this site), writing a book about an alien abduction, etc to then later proclaim it was all a hoax, to allow people to understand NOT to believe everything that is thrown at them, to deny ignorance (do your own research, ppl, etc). Ask questions, question the answers. Remain skeptical. Set up boundaries and choose what enters your mind as truth.

I have come to the conclusion that this would perhaps be an immoral way of doing this so I have decided against the action of fooling people, but sometimes to help people in one direction you must first show them the opposite direction.

Oh and another thing. What is real anyway? There are theories out there (relating to quantum physics I believe) that state nothing is real. Chew on that intellectually for a while.

- Nazgarn

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join