It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sciatica problem. Is there a fix for it? Or am I just screwed?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Had a similar issue and willing to share what worked for me.

First, I had a very good chiropractor who seemed more interested in making me better than claiming the insurance, in fact refused to allow me to come back unless I could show that I had been doinf the exercises that he had prescribed...the following was his "prescription"

Discomfort is caused in two areas, the sciatic pain and the strain on the core muscles attempting to support the body in unnatural positions in order to try and alleviate the sciatic pain.

First exercise to strengthen the core muscles basically consists of "crunches"...those almost half sit ups, and small leg raises.

Second exercise involves self manipulation of the lower areas of the spine to help the slipped disc relocate into its correct position. There are two yoga exercises refered to as "the cat" and " the sphinx", move form one to the other and hold for about ten seconds before reverting back to the start position, repeat several times.

The yoga exercises open and close the lower vertebrae gentle and slowly manipulate the disc back into position....thats the theory and it seemed to work for me.

(DISCLAIMER----it is possible that the exercises had no effect other than to distract me while the disc moved naturally back into position and performs no other effect other than as a placebo
)

Occasionally, I feel the "ache" of another episode, and immediately get down on the floor and...cat.....sphinx....cat....sphinx....cat....Sphinx...etc.

I have had no issues for about 3 years now, whereas after my first sciatic issue, it was every four or five months lasting for about a month each.

(The attack that finally lead me to the chiropractor had gone on for about 5 months and pretty much invalided me, was off work unable to drive or work)

Anyhoo, hope you get it sorted.....if you try the above, drop me a line and let me know how you got on

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Thanks. I had heard about the brace issue. I've had 5 surgeries on my R knee.
I knew that would come back to bite me, I was just hoping it was later rather than sooner.

Just got back from the Chiro. My right leg is 3/4 inch shorter than my left. When I stepped on the seperated scale, I had 121 on my right leg and 87 on my left. That can't be good.

He also said that my entire back is pretty spasmed from this issue. Stretches I used to do daily I could only do partially with his assistance, and boy was I tight.

I hope I didn't sit on this to long causing lasting damage.

I've got my first appt scheduled with him. Wish me luck.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by merkaba93
reply to post by TDawgRex

I would recommend strength training. Specifically squats and deadlifts (might as well bench too) will strengthen your spinae erectors and help keep your vertebrae (and hence the electrical system that runs through them) stable.

I had sciatica from a fall injury, both legs hurt, felt like a knife in my back. SQWATZ will fix you up.

I'm getting conflicting info from my Chiro, and my Physical Therapist concerning working out. The Chiro says to hold off until we get the spinal issues worked out. And the Therapist recommends it, though using only light weights.

I gone soft after three months and REALLY want to get back in shape.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SacredLore

Thanks for the link.

I'll be looking into it.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04

I really hope you feel better. It sucks. It's a level of pain that's almost unimaginable at times. You know that pain that's so bad you just feel electrical sensations because your brain can't even process the pain as "pain" anymore? (I'm not talking about neuropathy "tingling" or other neurogenic sensations - though that's part of it too, of course - I'm talking about pain that starts out as pain but then gets so bad progressively that you literally can't feel it as the thing we normally call pain anymore. Lol.) If you've been there... you have my sympathy. Get well.

Peace.
edit on 3/7/2013 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

edit on 3/7/2013 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

I do too.

I've never known such pain before in my life at the initial onset. I almost puked. Combine being burned, stabbed, flayed, electrocuted and shot all in the left buttock to the knee and that would only be the start.

It was bad. And I have been exposed to quite a few explosions in my time, parachute malfunctions, etc.

I thought I knew what pain was and even thought I had a high tolerance to it. Boy was I wrong.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by idmonster

Thank you for sharingyour exeriance and what worked for you. I hope that I too can pass on advice that is similiar in the future.

The Chiro I just visited sounds a lot like yours. But Tri-Care will not cover it. So it will be out of my pocket. I hope to see results as I hate throwing away money.

I'm confident though.

My visit with him was just a consult and took two hours, plus X-rays. He answered all my questions. Many of which were helped generated by all the fellows ATS'ers. Thank Guys!

I forgot to ask about Yoga though. My mistake, as I keep seeing that option popping up a lot on this thread.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Another sciatica sufferer here. When it starts up, if I do a couple of stretching exercises, it allays the pain extremely quickly.

One in particular works wonders for me (it may be different for you). While lying down on a flat surface, raise the leg of the affected side so that your knee is facing the ceiling. place your hands on the bottom of your thigh and slowly extend and retract your lower leg. (It will get easier with time). It will be uncomfortable at first.

You may do this exercise while standing as well. I have found it to produce results within a day.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

My roomate suffers of this. I think his was caused by slipped disks or something when he was in football. He is always in constant pain, burning or he had numbness. I do not think he experienced weakness but I never really asked much.

He preferred constant pain instead of the numbness cuz the numbness freaked him out.

from what he told me he believes that being sedentary makes it worse. He says running and exercise makes him feel better. he is a pretty active guy . he plays semi pro football.

Some days were pretty bad and you could just read the disomfort on his face. Alcohol and medication only make him feel drunk and high but still in pain. Nothing seems to take the edge off.

I am not sure how bad your condition is but he seems to be able to be active. when he is active he says it does not feel so bad. Maybe your condition is worse I don't know your situation.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Unbeknown to me for years, I had the same problem my right leg longer than my left due to SIJD or sacro iliac joint displacement. My right hip had slipped down and backwards, only by milimetres but enough to cause long term damage to the thigh muscle and sciatic nerve which was of course twisted slightly backwards causing the thigh muslce to rub directly onto the head of the femur. Luckily my excellent osteopath spotted the problem immediately and I've not looked back...well except for the sciatica which is probably caused by the long term damage of the sijd. I will say though he did NOT recommend any strenuous exercise other than stretches not even swimming unless I did something other than breast stroke as the leg movements were incorrect for putting the hip back into place.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Good luck! Hope you get some relief soon!

I know when I first saw my chiro after the numbness started, he said to not lift any weights but that I could still do the exercise bike or cross-trainer as they weren't high impact like running etc. For about 2 months or so, I was treated my back with very big kid gloves but now, i've been doing a bit more stuff - not high impact but at least a bit more challenging to try and lose weight which I definitely think will help.

Another poster on here mentioned the Piriformis (sp?) stretch and I did that today...damn my ass was sore when I did that stretch haha!

Also, i've started the mega-dosing on the Vit C but I only have enough sachets to last a day or so at this rate so not sure if it will change much.

Anyway, best of luck and hope that you are fighting fit soon.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by TDawgRex
If anyone who has had experience with this problem, I would appreciate your input.
OK, it may sound stupid, but it has been a life-changer for some...don't carry your wallet in your back pocket. They say it's a fugly fashion crime, but hey, if carrying a slimline in the front eases the pain...who cares?

I would have said you were crazy if I hadn't gone through exactly what you've described. I used to carry my wallet in my right back pocket. I switched it to my left pocket three years ago and haven't had any pain since.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by idmonster

Just got back from my Chiro a couple of hours ago. The pain is not all gone...but what a relief! I know it will take some time.

Not only did he adjust my spine, but my attitude as well. He's not promising miracles, but it was a good first visit.

Thanks to all who recommended having Chiro therapy...so far.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

I stand for Chiropractic treatment too. I remember my days of extreme pain and helplessness. Could not even move out of my bed because of lower back pain. I knew I had some serious spinal issue and had a real bad time. It is the chiropractic treatment that helped me out of it. I would have still continued to be in pain, had I not decided to go for the treatment. So yeChiropractic care is the only possible thing that can save the situation according to me!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by hannahjo

Chiro has gotten me up and about...to a degree. The Chiro didn't lie about that. However my insurance doesn't cover it either.

So...while I now have limited movement again, it has also destroyed my bank account.
I had to stop going the past three weeks, but hopefully it is only a temporary set back.

But I look on the bright side. I know it may take a while to heal, but I am moving again, slowly. I also can now crack joints that I never could before.

But those cracks do provide a temporary relief.

My Chiro calls them teasers.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I have been struggling on and off with sciatica for years. Finally went to the chiropractor last year, they told me my spine was rotated . The 6 month package cost me about $2k. The thing to notice is that your core must get stronger, if you sit a lot your hams might be stronger than your glutes. If you can identify which of your muscles are weaker it should really help you. The chiro office I went to are locally reputed and work with the broncos.

One other thing to remember is lowering inflammation will help you heal faster. I can message you the exercises from my chiropractor if your interested. Supplements that I take for my back-
Turmeric
Quercetain and Bromelain
Glucosamine and Chondroiin
Omega 3 and vitamin d
Ginger root
There are others I take on-off basis but these should help lower inflammation.

I also bought an inversion table(this I understand can be dangerous so use caution especially depending on your fitness) and a tens unit, I got the cheap one
www.amazon.com...

With your diet you are going to reduce inflammation. Go easy on the wheat or stop if you can( I can't), eat plenty of nuts, fruits, vegetables, for carbohydrates you can eat basmati rice, organic oats. Avoid vegetable oil, use coconut, olive, walnut instead.

Read-
Treat Your Own Spinal Stenosis
8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot
Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by an0nThinker

Thanks for the advice. I am already putting many of these practices...well, into practice.

I've been trying to strenghthen my core, well before I became injured. I'm still doing it though and it doesn't seem to hurt any, nor injure me any either. Work probably damaged me more than anything. I guess we're not young forever.

I've recently bought some new shoes (Merrills) and they seem to be helping as well, I've always bought these shoes until I retired. But they are expensive.

I've also recently been trying the supplements that you recommended and will let you know how things go.

BTW: Many people don't know how Gummi Bears are a good source for joint pain as well, and they taste good as well!

edit on 7-5-2013 by TDawgRex because: spelling

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I had mine going out for a long time about twelve years ago. I'd be walking along and my leg would just quit working and I'd tumble down. It's pretty darn painful. I got three shots in my back and it cleared up and never returned. It gave lubrication and the steroids helped it heal.
Some things medical science does works so well while other stuff is terrible.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

He TDawg,
I posted earlier in the thread,about having had a three or 4 year recent relapse of Sciatica-thought It would never end,but I am over the worst and on the mend now excercising a little more each day.
I can even take my dogs on short walks again,which was all I wanted really.

Anyhow,I meant to mention this story which is all over the UK press at the moment,which claims that a large percent of back pain may be healed with anti biotics,as they may have an element of bacterial infection:

www.independent.co.uk... -with-antibiotics-8606340.html

You may have already read about this,but I thought it may be something for you to think about-I know I would try anything before surgery,so antibiotics may be my next idea if I ever get another reccurrance of the curse .

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Yep, I read about it and will look into it a bit more. Going on six months now and still belly up to a degree. Been thinking about injections though I am still worried about them.

I'm not sure it is a bacterial infection as images are showing 9 compressed/bulging discs. Some aren't painful, while others are.

Also researching the newer laser surgery as well.

Mornings are a bitch, but as the day goes on, the pain is easier to tolerate. But I will admit, it's getting old and I am becoming impatient. I want my life back.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I real feel for you bro,I know what its like.
The worst thing is when it goes on for so long that you begin to feel it will never get better...I have been there,and it horrid,but you WILL get through it.
Always try to keep as positive as you can,and try to visualise you disks becoming less inflammed,and going back into place.
Do that as a meditation while you do gentle excercises if you can.
The brain is a very powerful force if you can steer it right.
It helped me I think.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join