It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Shooting Prevented - Student Disarms Gunman…Gets Suspended?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+60 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

A Florida high school student wrestled a loaded gun away from another teen on the bus ride home this week and was slapped with a suspension in return.

The 16-year-old Cypress Lake High student in Fort Myers, Fla. told WFTX-TV there was “no doubt” he saved a life after grappling for the loaded .22 caliber revolver being aimed point-blank at another student on Tuesday.
link

Is this the message we’re sending our kids and young adults in America today; don’t get involved? This kid should be honored rather than suspended. It’s been confirmed that the gun was real, it was loaded, and 3 young men jumped on the gunman, disarming him and potentially preventing a shooting. For their efforts, these heroes were……suspended!! WTF??

The school is hiding behind policy to justify this ridiculous action.

The school’s referral slip said he was given an “emergency suspension” for being involved in an “incident” with a weapon. Lee County School District spokesman Alberto Rodriguez said in a statement that “If there is a potentially dangerous situation, Florida law allows the principal to suspend a student immediately pending a hearing.”

This really is a sign of the times. It seems like we’ve gone from common sense to self destruction.

I’d like to personally applaud the actions of these brave kids!! Way to go!!!! You did the right thing and you should be extremely proud!!!

I, for one, am inspired by their actions. Maybe if more Americans had enough sense to recognize evil and enough balls to stand up to it we wouldn’t be the declining country we are today.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Your title is a Tad Misleading.

Its not the Title of the News Story, so why the Drama?

I agree with you btw, Just dont understand the Need to Hype the Story , thus demeaning it, with Lies.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well said.....I approve this thread.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Much respect and honor for the kid who did this. Don't get too caught up with the word suspended it does not mean much, its like a cop putting handcuffs on you or asking you to sit on the curve and not to move to investigate what actually happened even if you were the victim, besides they don't have all the facts just the words of teenagers on a bus so they want to investigate more thoroughly.

+25 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

I agree with you btw, Just dont understand the Need to Hype the Story , thus demeaning it, with Lies.

A kid had a loaded gun at school and was threatening to use it.

He was physically disarmed.

The kids who disarmed him were suspended.

Sounds like my title!!

Mass Shooting Prevented - Student Disarms Gunman…Gets Suspended?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

It is you tittle. Forget about them. Best thing to do is to ignore.
-
Anyway, who ever decided to suspend that kid should loose his/her job. You simply do not promote inaction in those cases. Way to go kid

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Sounds like the principal didn't like the kid that was going to get shot. If the kid being aimed at was a kid of one of the teachers would the kids that tackled him be getting an award? Sorry to say but this is common place in society today, there is a major division in our society. We need to look at the people in charge and try to get rid of any discrimination that exists.
edit on 4-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Ya nothing wrong with the title at all imo.

Very good find and yet very confusing as to what the hell those officials are doing?? Maybe there is more to this story then what we know about but I'm not going to assume anything other than what is being told right now. Which is we have 3 hero's. Congrats to those boys as I would have probably pooped my pants if I would have seen a gun on a bus at that age

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Kudos to that kid, he's a hero and I bet he knows it.
Don't let those bastards bring you down.

I've read a bit the posts on the main link and I find it disgusting the way they talk against liberals, I am a liberal and I am not against gun possession so I am deeply insulted. Even if some liberal do want guns confiscated, I stroooooongly doubt that they would of wanted more dead children to further the agenda. It just doesn't make sense.

Conservative and liberals shouldn't try to invent opinion of the other side if they don't know how to think both sides.

Nothing is ever fully white or fully dark

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It seems to me that things are backwards lately. I read stories everyday that make me question the direction we are headed.

Why on earth would anyone punish these children for such an act of bravery? They should have been acknowledged, not suspended.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Should they be praised? I don't know... I never was when I prevented other kids from doing bad things, so maybe I'm just jealous but I am unsure as to whether they should be praised or rewarded for doing the right thing. However, they shouldn't be punished for it IF this wasn't some kind of altercation between the boys and they weren't defending anyone but each other.

I grew up in the ghetto. Things are a bit different there but I know for a fact that some people will defend a friend or family but wouldn't lift a hand to help a total stranger. Actually I think most people are like that. How many people would risk their own health or life for a total stranger. A lot less than would do so for someone they actually care about.

I remember this one time when I got arrested because I defended a gay boy. I didn't know him, but I wasn't gonna just sit there and watch an innocent be bullied. Some A hole rednecks were verbally picking on the poor kid and he was obviously frightened, so I did what he couldn't. I stood up to them for him. They decided two on one was good odds and decided to attack me. I "won" that fight and the cops arrested me. All for trying to protect an innocent. I didn't even want to fight the guys, I just tried to tell them to leave the other dude alone.

One time I went after a 30something year old man because he was trying to screw around with a 14 year old female friend. I figured a 2X4 would even the odds when it was a 14 year old boy and a grown man. Nobody else thought so... the guy didn't even go to jail. I nearly did though.

I have a family now so I wont be the good guy anymore. I can't afford to go to jail and not be able to get a job because of it. It sucks because I don't like bullies and feel a need to do something about them but... the system wants them there.

So... because of my childhood, and how I always got into trouble for trying to help people, I won't be doing so anymore unless you mess with someone I actually care about. If I don't know them, it sucks and I don't like it, but I'm more important to me than they are. That's what the system wants me to believe and if I don't I may very well be severely punished for it so I have no other options.

But like I was saying... If this was what I would call a normal altercation between some people, then I wouldn't classify them as "heroes" for defending themselves. This kind of thing happened far too often in my neighborhood and was never reported, usually because nobody died but weapons were still waved around by morons. And I didn't even live in one of the "bad" areas...

Edit:

I've been suspended from school for defending random strangers. I have also been kicked off the bus for doing so.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

Just to clarify, I think the kids did the right thing. But this is all too common, the good guys are the bad guys. That's how it works in our society. Just like politics really, most people think the corporations, banksters, and politicians are the good guys when in reality the people are usually the good guys and those A holes are the bad boys who need to be punished. Wouldn't it be nice if things worked like they should...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Sounds like the principal didn't like the kid that was going to get shot. If the kid being aimed at was a kid of one of the teachers would the kids that tackled him be getting an award? Sorry to say but this is common place in society today, there is a major division in our society. We need to look at the people in charge and try to get rid of any discrimination that exists.

I think school administrators today are more concerned with negative media and the way their actions/response will be perceived than they are with doing the right thing.

I would rather do the right thing and face the fall out than send the wrong message to kids. Threatening people with guns is wrong and it should not be tolerated. I wouldn’t recommend everyone be superman and try and subdue gunmen, but when it happens and things work out well the action should be applauded.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Let's look at the glass half full. Everyone besides the school officials considers this kid a hero who should be applauded. This kid gets to hang out at home and work on assignments for a few days, and in the end will still be a hero. I hope his parents take him out for a steak and ice cream.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CesarO

Much respect and honor for the kid who did this. Don't get too caught up with the word suspended it does not mean much, its like a cop putting handcuffs on you or asking you to sit on the curve and not to move to investigate what actually happened even if you were the victim, besides they don't have all the facts just the words of teenagers on a bus so they want to investigate more thoroughly.

You’re right that they suspended everyone involved pending investigation. However, there are more severe cases I’ve read about that resulted in no action by LE. For instance, I’ve read about cases here in Texas where people have been involved in a shooting (homeowners killing burglars – sometime unarmed burglars) and they don’t even get arrested that night! There will still be an investigation but often the shooter isn’t charged or punished in any way (as it should be).

I just think the school should have exercised better judgment and considered the message they’re sending by suspending everyone. It’s like they are striving so hard to treat everyone equal, even to the point of suspending common sense.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
SCREW THE SCHOOL!!!

My dad and mom WOULD OF NEVER HAVE PUNISHED ME FOR SAVING PEOPLES LIVES....

It comes down to the nanny state of BULL # and the SELF RESPONSIBLE STATE OF PROTECTION!!!

When some ass hole with a gun crosses that line I GIVE ALL AUTHORITY FOR MY CHILD TO CROSS THEIRS..

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

I've read a bit the posts on the main link and I find it disgusting the way they talk against liberals, I am a liberal and I am not against gun possession so I am deeply insulted. Even if some liberal do want guns confiscated, I stroooooongly doubt that they would of wanted more dead children to further the agenda. It just doesn't make sense.

Conservative and liberals shouldn't try to invent opinion of the other side if they don't know how to think both sides.

Keep in mind the source. It’s from The Blaze which is a Glenn Beck media organization, so many of the viewers are hard core conservatives who are extremely biased and almost shell shock at this point. There are many who believe some of these instances are intentional and meant to drum up support for a gun grab. And, if I’m being honest, the gun grab is coming from only one side of the political spectrum.

I’m glad at least you and I see eye to eye on this issue. I believe that, as Americans, every one of us should be offended at an abridgment of our constitutional rights. And every one of us should applaud acts of heroism and the goodness of people to protect others in the face of danger. These are things that are common to all Americans and should have nothing to do with political ideology IMO.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This kind of reminds me of how it is at my son's school. My son can fight, I've taught him very well but he usually is too scared that he'll get into trouble to do anything in a situation where it may be needed. He was actually being bullied by another child and wouldn't do anything abut it because he was afraid he would be the one to get in trouble, when he was very capable of defending himself. The other kid was apparently bullying tons of children but when people went to the school about it they would say that "kids will be kids." I think he must have been the child of an employee at the school or something because if other kids did to him like he was doing to them they would get in trouble for it while he just got a slap on the wrist.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Not knowing the whole story to start, the safest thing was to suspend all until the facts are known. Now that they are known, put the kid back in school, shouldn't have been more than one day.

So if a teacher would have disarmed the kid, would the teacher have been suspended pending an investigation?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Anyway, who ever decided to suspend that kid should loose his/her job. You simply do not promote inaction in those cases. Way to go kid.

Exactly!

Although this really deserves it’s own thread, take a look at this instance as it similarly speaks to the mindset of today’s school administrators.

7-Year-Old Boy Reportedly Suspended for Making ‘Gun’ Out of School Pastry

A 7-year-old student at Park Elementary School in Baltimore has been suspended for two days after playing with his food at school, Fox45 reports.

The interesting part of the story? The child didn’t get in trouble for neglecting his manners, as some may have assumed — he was allegedly suspended because the “mountain” he was trying to make ended up looking like a gun.
source

This is the type of stuff that REALLY makes people scratch their head and ask WTF? Are we that worried about public perception that now even a pastry that looks like a gun is threatening?? What kind of message is that? I’m confused by some of these actions as of late and I’m a grown man!! I can only imagine what these kids must be thinking.

edit on 4-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
reply to post by seabag

Seabag and many other prolific writers on ATS often use misleading titles and added drama as a way to attract attention to their threads. Their posting styles closely resemble that of so called yellow journalism.

Yellow Journalism

edit on 4/3/2013 by cripmeister because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join