It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite gaming platform, and why?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Limited edition, Nintendo 64... Best games, Best graphics! Hands down! Now let me pull out my golden gun and shoot that thing up!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Consoles slow the growth of gaming development. That's all

-PC Gamer-

It might be true, but you should ask the Developer why they cater to Console lol.

Developers care about money more than what is the best option. PC can hack design, exploit and make them lose money.

Its a investment in a house out in the open and an investment in a house guarded by security guards... meh bad analogy but it make sense in my head lol.

I don't "hate" consoles. I just see what they do to the console market.

Until there is a fully upgradable console (swap video cards, processor, increase ram, etc), then they will always be a hobble on technological progress.

The question of the thread was what is my favorite gaming platform and why. My sentence addressed both bits. It didn't ask if I understand why big devs focus on consoles over PCs...I understand that also...console gamers are a good money source. You give them a physical game, and you never have to deal with them again. You don't have to consider 3200 different types of setups, etc..make it work with a single platform and your done with them.
That is the bigger consideration than any piracy or the like actually...ease of testing and stable unchanging platform specs.
Which is also exactly the problem with consoles in regards to growth.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
edit: console system like PS3 can also browse internet, watch movies, stream, save files, transfer photo, sd drives etc. Infact PS3 is a computer, a very low costing computer with focus on gaming.

Exactly my point. The "console" is on its way out, and a new platform is on its way in. They are just milking it for all its worth at this point. And really, with control of the market, why not? Even though its self-limiting, as Saturn mentioned, its profitable. Now, do note that this also includes getting "rid" of your standard desktop PC as well.

Sorry for not being a "real" gamer with only having one PC
I like to be cost effective about my hobbies though.

Now, very obviously, I wasnt talking about top of the line components. Only ones that will be capable of running a semi-well coded game at an acceptable framerate (to me thats 50+) on the highest settings. I dont care how well a console runs it, since it will be sub par due to intentional design. If you want to spend as much money as possible, no doubt you can spend more on a PC. Though, that wasnt really the point. Its great that you spent that much on your PCs? Did you know "strict" benchers have a different computer specialized for each cooling method and test? That means its like, totally expensive to get a PC that will run a benchmark. You even need more than one!

If consoles were truly made to "maximize" gaming, they would be a completely different animal. As its stands, its just a low-binned proprietary system that is used to maximize profit. And does so with extraordinarily minimal effort.

Basically, I made the decision years ago on what would be the most cost effective way to approach gaming. And PC was my answer. I could show all the math, but I just dont care that much
You are right, to compete with a console, it takes a ton of money. No one could get the same performance, ever, from just buying the non-proprietary versions of the exact same product. Pure nonsense, I tells ya!

If you like the console, go for it! Its the same reason I prefer a PC to a Mac, its more capable, higher binned CPUs (if bought yourself), less proprietary, etc etc. And it all costs me less over time (though, admittedly, most do not even look at cost outlay over a period of time, just the initial cost). Now that I have used Windows 8 though, I do believe I will switch fully to Linux once OpenGL ironically gets more support from the popularity of Apple systems.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Until there is a fully upgradable console (swap video cards, processor, increase ram, etc), then they will always be a hobble on technological progress.

I would be pretty surprised if that ever happened. I suspect that all computer driven components will eventually be available in an all-in-one style tablet with the rendering and processing capabilities of the best desktops available today. I put a mark of about 10 years on it, since there needs to be some time to milk the "next gen" consoles. It will, of course, be a completely closed system. I would be rather surprised if you could even upgrade the RAM without an "authorized" key at some point.

It also blends in the monitor to the same source/company, and that will minimize "shopping around" for anything with a PC at all. Its much more profitable to do it Apple/console style than to give your customers options with other companies.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I enjoy gaming consoles, because they are plug and play. PC's are great, and have amazing potential, but I have alway found that there is too much mucking about with graphics settings, drivers, and perpetual hardware maintenance. Consoles work for me because they are so easy to use, more portable, and (until recently) have been more TV-oriented then PCs.

For the past 12 years (give or take) I have been pretty faithful to the XBOX brand. Before that I had N64s, NES and SNES, as well as gameboys.

Next generation I plan on picking up both the new Xbox and the PS4. I've been patiently waiting for 2013 since I was capable of independent thought. Gonna be unreal.

The thing you are referring to is a Personal Computer.

edit on 5-3-2013 by SPACEYstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by blahxd67

Same.

I use a PC.

I like emulators. I tend to play older console games with them.

I prefer a PC since I am a big fan of tweaking games and mods in general. It makes an old game new and personal.

Well, I used to. I am not a gamer anymore.

edit on 5-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
All are good for different things...

Mostly, I like the XBox 360 for most single player or two player games. I love the Kinect feature, the normal XBox controller, and the visuals.

I like the PS-3 because it can also play Blue Ray, and doesn't have a membership for online play

I like the Wii because a lot of games are multi-player, and fun, and allows kids to play with the adults.

I like PCs for the ability to mod games.

I just wish I had more time for it, but as an adult, I'm lucky if I get time to play any of them these days.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Haven't had time to read the whole thread.

Just a Playstation fanboy sounding off. I actually own an XBox360 (which red ringed me shortly after they stopped offering the refurbish deal) and a Wii (mainly for my kids. Recently got into Steam which has opened my eyes to what PC gaming has become since when I was playing Doom 3 & Heretic, etc. But Playstation has always held a place in my heart since it was the first gaming system I really latched onto with the PS1. Also, the regular arguments: free to play online, the controller just makes sense, yadda yadda.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join