It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student researchers discover building blocks of DNA in cosmic cloud

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
We all know what this really means. Life can spring up anywhere in the universe. A meteor strike may no longer be needed. Panspermia theory is finally proven. The seed of life permeates outerspace.
edit on 2-3-2013 by Oannes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by blahxd67

Originally posted by slugger9787
find proof of evolution on earth

before you start seeing it in space.

none of the students or professors can even
count the hairs on their own head, much less
find or see DNA in space with a telescope.

When was the last time the telescope was calibrated?
And will the students submit bodily fluids for a urine drug screen?
I will pay for it.

edit on 1-3-2013 by slugger9787 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2013 by slugger9787 because: added last two sentences

To be fair, why would you want to count the hairs on your head? Seems kind of pointless.

Maybe a person is worried about going bald and wants to keep track of a receding hair line. Any case, most people have of average 120,000 hair follicles on their head.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by stormcell

Originally posted by blahxd67

find proof of evolution on earth

before you start seeing it in space.

none of the students or professors can even
count the hairs on their own head, much less
find or see DNA in space with a telescope.

When was the last time the telescope was calibrated?
And will the students submit bodily fluids for a urine drug screen?
I will pay for it.

edit on 1-3-2013 by slugger9787 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2013 by slugger9787 because: added last two sentences

To be fair, why would you want to count the hairs on your head? Seems kind of pointless.

Maybe a person is worried about going bald and wants to keep track of a receding hair line. Any case, most people have of average 120,000 hair follicles on their head.

I'm pretty sure you can tell you're losing hair. Everyone is losing hair all the time. I've also found gray hairs on my head before. And I'm not even 20.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by purplemer

Only human arrogance could come to the conclusion we are alone in the universe.
Only human arrogance would assume that in order for life to develop elsewhere, it must have the same conditions we have here on earth.

Calvin and Hobbes said it best -

We are finding the building blocks of life all over the cosmos....

I think true ET disclosure will come, not from A Governemt or the Pentagon, but from the 14 year old kid who understands that all science starts with the statement "I do not know" followed up with an open mind and no preconceptions.

Science starts with the hugest preconception - that there is no Creator. With no Creator, science pursues a course based on the biggest lie possible, therefore stacking one lie upon another all because of the pride and arrogance of man who cannot admit that he is created. Look to the Kabahalah and other esoteric literature and you'll see that all "science" does today is roll out the evidence of its "authenticity" for the masses. Every last bit. All the science foundations are owned and funded by the same groups, and it is their interests that are served. Not yours, not mine, but theirs. Likewise, the websites that dish these articles out, like ScienceDaily, are occult branded with their heavenly/earthly colours and eye of Horus enlightenment. Don't think that they have an agenda when deciding which "science news" to highlight? Of course they do. Put your trust in mere men and they'll have no trouble abusing it.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
My friend,

Only human arrogance would assume that in order for life to develop elsewhere, it must have the same conditions we have here on earth.

I think true ET disclosure will come, not from A Governemt or the Pentagon, but from the 14 year old kid who understands that all science starts with the statement "I do not know" followed up with an open mind and no preconceptions.

Probably the best quote on ATS

I was just about the say the same thing, great minds ....

Be safe be well

Spiro
edit on 2-3-2013 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I agree with everything you've said.

But i do wonder if they are just picking up random molecules in our own atmosphere or not.

Just becuause the frequencies are being picked up consistent with Sgr B2 direction and at the same time, doesn't actually prove the signal is originating from Sgr B2.

Unless of course, they can repeat the finding multiple times, and only when pointed at the same area over different times...which i would have thought any competent scientist would have already done.

Seems to me, they are only concluding these molecular signatures are from Sgr B2, because they were obtained while the scope was receiving other molecular signatures consistent with those from the region. Random molecules from our own atmosphere in the region of sky above the scope would also show the same signatures if the scope was pointed at Sgr B2.

Hopefully, if not already, the data is able to be repeated and confirmed although it's not too surprising...they have been discovering similar signatures such as HCN (Hydrogen Cyanide) from Titan, and on comets since the early 1970's. HCN is important, as it too is a key component of the formation of amino acids.

If HCN and other biologically important molecules are travelling the cosmos hitching rides on comets and meteors, found in our Solar system and possibly now around Sgr B2, the key molecules needed to form amino acids could very well be everywhere in the Universe...which would do what for the Drake equation i wonder?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Logically speaking Life is everywhere..

Let me point out some fact's

1) The universe does not have anything "missing"..
2) The universe does not make MISTAKES..
3) According to our understanding of the universe as we know it.. Life was always going to happen the problem was when.

The reason why the universe seems odd is because you are looking at something that is Inside out..

Do atoms ask why they are atoms?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by styzor

The universe looks odd?
I hadn't noticed. Fascinating, yes.

Apart from that I have to confess I don't really understand what that has to do with the topic.
edit on 3/2/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by styzor
reply to post by Phage

Do atoms ask why they are atoms?

No. Because atoms do not think.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by blahxd67

What is thinking other than a collection of interactions..

you would be shocked at how similar you are to the universe.. oh wait.. IT made you.. go figure haha...

@ phage.. If its shocking that the building blocks of DNA are found in space.. would not be that shocking after all .. what is more amazing is you are even here..

that is my point.. IS there life in outer space? .. yep. we live in space.. kinda dumb question if you ask me.. or do you think the probability of us being the only "life" in a the universe.

Its kinda basic math.. IF the universe just made US.. all on our own, then the universe does LIFE.. if we are not alone in the universe... the universe STILL made life.

Notice anything?

As i said.. the universe DOES not make mistakes.. and i did not call the universe ODD.. i leave that to humans who cant do 1+1

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
There's no way to prove their claims. These students are just misinterpreting data to bring more funding to the project. If a student makes an error, it's because they're a bright-eyed student. If the professor/project chairman makes an error, goodbye funding. This smells of total BS.

Why so cynical mate?

Makes perfect sense: CHNOPS

Carbon
Hydrogen
Nitrogen
Oxygen
Phosphorss
Sulfur

The six most abundant elements for life.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It's not DNA. It's not the components of DNA. It's sort of something that you might need to make a precursor to a component of DNA.

At any rate, it's a shiny example of using QM vibration states to detect substances at a distance.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I found a grey pubic hair last week.
Normally this kind of thing does not bother me,
but this was on my hamburger.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Not the first time the "building blocks" of DNA have been discovered in space:

www.nasa.gov...

This would just be another place where they were found.

TBH not really that surprising. It is only surprising to those who believe in a "creator", IMHO.

Adds weight to the idea that:

1) there is no creator-being thing
2) that life may very well exist elsewhere (in the form found on Earth).
edit on 4-3-2013 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I found a grey pubic hair last week.
Normally this kind of thing does not bother me,
but this was on my hamburger.

Just had to read that while I was eating.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join