It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One rat brain 'talks' to another using electronic link

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

One rat brain 'talks' to another using electronic link

www.bbc.co.uk

Scientists have connected the brains of lab rats, allowing one to communicate directly to another via cables.

The wired brain implants allowed sensory and motor signals to be sent from one rat to another, creating the first ever brain-to-brain interface.

The scientists then tested whether the rat receiving the signal could correctly interpret the information.

As the ultimate test of their system, the team even linked the brains of rats that were thousands of miles apart.

Details of the work are outlined in the journal Scientific Reports.
www.nature.com...

Professor Miguel Nicolelis and his team a
(visit the link for the full news article)
www.bbc.co.uk...

Professor Miguel Nicolelis and his team at Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina built on their previous work with brain-machine interfaces.

In a study published earlier this month, the researchers implanted electrodes in the part of the rat's brain that processes tactile information and attached these to infrared sensors - effectively allowing the rat to "touch" infrared light.
edit on 28-2-2013 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well, I wasn't sure whether to put this in breaking news or not but I struck me as a bit "pow!!"

Can you imagine the use for this. This brings science fiction to the now! What was it called? The Manchurian Candidate? This kinda works if place into a human. Soon we will have human controlled drones walking about and acting out various dirty deeds. All you would have to do is somehow disconnect the pain part of the brain and you have the perfect soldier.........or am I getting carried away with my crazy ideas?

Anyway, this is bonkers!

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
s&f before I read it just because with a title like that, it's gotta be good

"We will have a way to exchange information across millions of people without using keyboards or voice recognition devices or the type of interfaces that we normally use today," he said.

This is exactly what I was thinking while reading the article. Good-bye cell phone hello global communication interface. We are borg...

A fantastic leap of technology I say and not unforeseeable.
edit on 28-2-2013 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Great little read. Animals are not as "dumb" as we think. They survived for millions of years for a reason.

Star and flag.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo
s&f before I read it just because with a title like that, it's gotta be good

"We will have a way to exchange information across millions of people without using keyboards or voice recognition devices or the type of interfaces that we normally use today," he said.

This is exactly what I was thinking while reading the article. Good-bye cell phone hello global communication interface. We are borg...

A fantastic leap of technology I say and not unforeseeable.
edit on 28-2-2013 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

I don't know I would sign up for that implant. The neurolink works both ways. I can send my thoughts out to millions, they can send them back or perhaps one nefarious person or group could send out thoughts to the world. Just sounds like the start of a movie.. Actually lots of movies. Here's one.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This is very exciting and frightening at the same time. Talk about the Singularity becoming a reality even sooner. This of course has many implications ranging from helping paralyzed people to controlling minds. For now, I just want to try out the Google Glass before we jump too far ahead.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The Squeaks Of Armageddon

What we assume they're saying...

Encoder Rat: "Squeak squeak, squeak!" ("Press the one on the left!")

Decoder Rat: "Squeak squeak!" ("Roger!")

What they're actually saying...

Encoder Rat: "I can't believe how gullible these humans are. They left a back door to Livermore wide open! Take a look at these sweet babies."

Decoder Rat: "Excellent. The new trigger geometry is surprisingly elegant. I'll forward these plans to our nuclear weapons division. Commander Willard says to be patient, and that the Day of Liberation is near."

edit on 2/28/2013 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Sorry, here's my prohibited one line reply:

Great!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

I never did see that movie...

As for the implant? Tis the future and its amazing to think of the futuristic consequences be it good or bad. Which way will the world move? Together as one homogeneous global consensus working together as a unit? Or will it cause infinite war till the end of days?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Wooooooo Hooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive been predicting this for the last 6 years on ATS.

When people get this, you'll be able to hook up to an Enlightened Master and download or transfer Enlightenment.

Tech still has a way to go, and can also be used for bad however!!!!!

Star n flag

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Yeah you could, but without the memory stored localy enlightenment would only be comprehended while hooked up.

If you were disconnected these residual realizations would appear only as superficial.

Actually downloading it would require a matrix like experience and even with the potential advantages of altered time perception it would require actual duplicated memories. When it comes to experiences that bring about unique personality, historicly, the majority of them are not pleasant.
edit on 1-3-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Yeah you could, but without the memory stored localy enlightenment would only be comprehended while hooked up.

If you were disconnected these residual realizations would appear only as superficial.

Actually downloading it would require a matrix like experience and even with the potential advantages of altered time perception it would require actual duplicated memories. When it comes to experiences that bring about unique personality, historicly, the majority of them are not pleasant.

Doesn't matter. An Enlightened person, can directly, experientially, through this interface show the proper steps to realizing enlightenment, while with-holding any of his/her own unpleasant memories. Or perhaps programing in a firewall against pass memories.

I've been having dreams about this tech for the last decade!!!!!!! With blueprints and how it will change the world.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING!!!! This is probably the biggest most exciting news in my life!!!!!!! We're gonna look back on this one day and say that this single handedly changed the world ....eventually

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I would think very long and hard how you would go about filtering pain out of teaching... or exactly how much pain you need to teach a specific thing.

Although i would rather what you said end up being the case.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

I would think very long and hard how you would go about filtering pain out of teaching... or exactly how much pain you need to teach a specific thing.

Although i would rather what you said end up being the case.

Well, it's like me and you sitting down for a cold beer somewhere and have ATS type conversations. We can learn various things from each other, without ever having to mention pain or ever be in pain.

Also, different areas of the brain correspond to different parameters like pain, love, learning, memories. The rat device is rather crude, but will eventually evolve to consciousness interfaces once they figure out what part(s) of the brain is the mechanism for consciousness.

A few big names in science think the microtubules that make up Neurons are the interfaces for Consciousness. If that's the case, I've seen blueprints in my dreams where we will have microchips formatted to our dna and microtubules ...specific to each user will be the personalized dna-consciousness device

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I'm glad you are excited! It's infectious!

However, I can't help but think this will be used for no good before we all get that warm fuzzy feeling with each other. I do hope you are correct though!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Do you think they know the cake was a lie?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
It's not "the first brain to brain interface".Rats already have a telepathic capability.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
We really should be talking about getting to the bottom of these science budgets, and shutting them down. First, free the rats - they're living beings, and deserve better. Next, test the equipment on the scientists, promotors, shareholders, and front line buyers of proposed products, and make sure the tests last for as long as they tortured the rats for. That's my usual feeling to these threads, it sure isn't elation over some wacky new discovery. Telepathy exists, and these blackhearts are wiring up rats.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I know this is of no relevance to the topic but I feel I need to thank you personally for making my day, your avatar is freaking hilarious

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It makes think of the anime Ghost in the Shell.

Hyperlinked implants with computers and humans oh what the world will look like being born a hundred years from now.

It makes me sad that I will see all this great stuff happening and that I'll most likely be dead before the real good stuff happens.

<<   2  3 >>

join