It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manhattan (NY) elementary school asks students to subtract and multiply slaves

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

I'm sorry you interpret my objections in that manner. I do...really. It is not my intention to curtail exploration or knowledge of children at all. However, I also think that an educated person such as this teacher should carefully consider the long-term impact of this type of decision. And, I happen to think you and some of the others here, are reading way too less into this...but, that's my opinion. And we can agree to disagree I hope.

For me, slavery, the holocaust, genocide (and similar injustices we humans inflict upon each other) are not subjects to be trivialized or treated lightly. I am sorry you do not agree with me on this point, so be it I guess.

Thanks for your expression of your thoughts, but I must respectfully disagree with your position.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
reply to post by Krakatoa

While I'm being condescending you should know the difference between racism and bigotry. Then again, it didn't say what race the slave was so, over-sensitive much?
Let's be real here, what color were the slaves here in America? Seriously.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I don't think the teacher should get much more than a stern talking to, but this was clearly a bad idea. I'm not all that sensitive to race issues and I wouldn't put that on a math test. Yes I think it's cool to blend lessons from two different disciplines and have the students write the questions, but using these was really stupid. I HIGHLY doubt this was anything more than a silly lapse of judgement, and being outraged does seem outrageous, but I can certainly see how the questions would seem insensitive to a black person. It's not intentionally making light (I'm keeping this because it's a good example of unintentional dumbassery) of the situation, but having the disgusting acts carried out because of your color turned into a multiplication problem seems callous.

TL;DR not an intentionally big deal, but to some it still is.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join