It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Computer and New Technoogy is DESTROYING Our Society

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by HumansEh

Its not good, its not bad, it just is.

that's it

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Surely it is destroying the society of thieves

And robbers, yes, that, I almost forgot...

edit on 2/27/2013 by dragnik because: additional text

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The upper class is not robbing in USA, only, and on West, they are robbing the whole world, that is realy revolutionary move toward their, whatever and however you call it...

edit on 2/27/2013 by dragnik because: adding video

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irish Matador
reply to post by Ghost375

Maybe a bit of respect for your elders would not go astray.

Your elders deserve no more respect than any other human being.

I learned that lesson when I was thirteen and a guy in his 60s tried to butt in line ahead of me, using the "you should show more respect to your elders" when I objected.

They merely deserve the benefit of the doubt that their years of experience MAY have given them valuable information or insight to pass along.

That lesson was from 40 years ago.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluestar.ranch
Briefly I am a "old retired worker" from several generations ago.....a long time before all the technology. I even remember "door to door sales" (today you would be arrested as a terrorist!!!!!! for carrying a briefcase.. (It might be a bomb!)

I remember when you had to pick up the telephone to make a call to someone.. AND A PERSON ANSWERED, If they did not answer, you called again later.

Today, If I call someone and the "voicemail" does not work, the girl picks up the phone and says, "Sorry The voice mail not working you can't leave a message for John Doe"

I explain to the girl that if she got a pencil and paper she can WRITE MY NAME AND PHONE NUMBER AND HAND THE MESSAGE TO HIM" She is impressed!

I cant reach people any more!!!! .. the more communications the HARDER it is to talk to someone!

Facebook, Email, Twitters, I Phones, I Pads, Computers, Skypes, Texting.... ITS NO WONDER OUR ECONOMY IS SO BAD.. Sales people cant talk to anyone but machines!

Well, folks this was all planned and its just part of the program...

Anyone else? can you not talk to people when you need to? Does todays gadgets and technology keep you from growing your business or making sales?

I actually think the main difference is in people's attitudes about it all. I remember when the internet came out, I was in high school, but prior to that I remember how it used to be. I remember that phones didn't usually have answering machines and it was harder to get a hold of people because half the time they had no idea you had even called. Even if you got a hold of someone and they took a message, it didn't always get to the person it was intended to get to.. or people would claim they didn't get your message when you know damn good and well that they did.

I have many ways to get a hold of me, but yet why the hell no one ever leaves a message is beyond me. Then they get upset because I didn't answer my phone or didn't call them back. I am not a slave to my phone and being in constant contact with people, but they can leave messages for me to get back with them at MY convenience, ya know what I mean?

Door to door salesmen still come to my door and so do religious nutters trying to convert me. I have never thought they were a terrorist, just annoying people.

All in all I would say that technology makes life simpler and has improved communication, however people have developed an attitude that one must ALWAYS be available when they want you to be available. Our business is computer repair and social media updating so it has never kept us from growing a business. If anything it is the cause of our business growth! We make communication easier for all involved and keep things working.

As for me I unplug once a week.. every Friday my family knows that they are not to bother me, I am out living life, grocery shopping, ect.. I have told the kids and hubby if it is an emergency they can text me, but it better be a real emergency. I do not return calls on Friday, I don't make myself available to every Tom, Dick, or Harry.. I just don't feel that I should have to be available to people 24/7 and that was how it used to be. I never sat around the phone, rarely checked for messages... I was in much LESS communication back in the day. Not to say that is a bad thing.
I think people often glamorize the past and make it out to be something it wasn't because they are not fully satisfied with the right here and now. People seem to expect that everything be made most convenient to them, which to me seems awfully selfish and self centered.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Glad your amused by the grammar of the OP.

Now go back to your facebook and stop bothering the adults.

That's something else that has been destroyed along the way.

So many (not all) of the younger generation has no respect for the elders these days.

They could learn from the older generation if they would simply take the time to listen to something other that an ipod.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

I don't use facebook, and I'm an adult. You're the one with the poor attitude, who needs to get lost.

If you can't see how ironic it is that someone's complaining about current communication, while doing it with horrible grammar, well I feel sorry for you.
edit on 26-2-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

What exactly does the OP's grammar have to do with this thread?

Are you in a bad mood today or did you just want to belittle the OP?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Kituwa

ill say experience has no value other than the pleasant memories if you refuse to learn from those experiences and respect is something that has to be earned its is not some freebie you get when you turn 40 or so
.....and ill leave it at that

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
reply to post by mrperplexed

Originally posted by mrperplexed

I am very sorry that you have trouble understanding the world we live in today.

I can say without a doubt that my company has spent over 1 Billion with a B dollars investing in Facebook, twitter, youtube, and every other social means of communication, in order to allow business to better communicate through these channels.

Moreso ROI from social channels is proviable both from a sales lead and customer service perspective.

I challenge you to call comcast for a customer service issue, and tweet an issue at the same time... tell me which gets resolved faster... 100 percent the tweet..

well you sir should be very proud
society needs more individuals such as yourself
how great would it be if more people were willing to participate in the exploitation of others yes yes more advertisers i say! and more compelling and effective adds! what makes em tick and how can we use it to make money?more revenue! sheer the sheep!
yes yes standup chap you are

.....billions with a b...... superb... stick it to em with both barrels i always say
edit on 27-2-2013 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

Help me understand how I am "exploiting" anyone? I think you misunderstand. The point is, people are communicating on these channels today rather than calling 800 numbers. Its what customers want. And its more efficient.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
See, this is the problem with you older generation.
You want instant gratification...immediate contact. Shesh...go back to the days of the pony express..you think they were all freaked out that it took potentially months to get word from one side of the continent to another? And now your complaining it may take a few minutes?

Anyhow...technology is advancing our society...we however are wanting it to go faster than it is...so your frustration isn't that things aren't as good as the ole days..rather..its not as good as the future days you want.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by bluestar.ranch

Before telephones, there was hand-delivered mail.
You had to wait months, or weeks between exchanges with people over distances of even just a hundred miles or so.
Trans-continental and International communication? Good luck.

Further, if you were a stranger waltzing up on someone's property back then, you would expect to have weapons aimed at you, and even the sometimes warning shot fired by less than friendly sorts.

Machines are much friendlier, and who wants to talk to a salesman anyway?
If I want something, I look for it online and click a button and it gets delivered from anywhere on the planet in a few days at most.
If I want to do the touchy feely looky and try it on thing, I go directly to the store.

Your totally awesome btw. totally friended you.
Your dead on. yes...conveniences are quickly damned, in favor of the imaginary past where everything was perfect (so long as you don't remember the actual facts).

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kituwa

That's something else that has been destroyed along the way.

So many (not all) of the younger generation has no respect for the elders these days.

They could learn from the older generation if they would simply take the time to listen to something other that an ipod.

There are more people who respect their elders than you might realize, although there are a good deal of disrespectful people out there. I have even had my share of 'elderly;' be outright rude to me, respect is a two way street. You can't teach respect without being respectful to begin with.

I think that learning from each other is also a two way street. My father for example thinks that if his grandkids want a relationship with him that they should seek him and his knowledge out. Rather than him making an effort to be apart of their lives and teach, talk, and listen to them so that the respect for him is an earned attribute. I am a firm believer that people get what they give.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Computers are like immigrants / foreign outsourcing from a right-wing, UK (possibly not US - has welfare been cut?) perspective: They're stealing our jobs, welfare, men & women...

Jobs gone & facebook addicts are obvious but if one looks into how much the welfare has been cut and how much the state has wasted and/or spent 'wisely' on major national IT projects at the same time it's a pretty good analogy (and we've a major immigration crisis which I know the US has too)...

There are products which combine all the 'necessary' communications stream into 1 application shared amongst all departments in a company but most companies can't afford these or don't bother with them so we have the problem of TOO MANY COMMUNCATION STREAMS as you've outlined.

I have to say, if there's one group of salespeople that get on my wick it's BOOTS on the GROUND pressure-selling crud to OLD-GRANNIES - so in that respect, GOOD RIDDANCE!

I find most companies have reasonable sales teams that are contactable via telephone - it's the complaints / helpdesk procedures / employees that fail miserably - but that's been the case well before the internet struck gold..

You think the internet's destroyed society - wait till the FEMBOTS / MANBOTS come to town - THEY'LL SELL THEMSELVES! Seriously, they must be DESTROYED, Luddites!

edit on 27-2-2013 by PrivateSi because: little green TEXTS are INVADING our WORLD!

edit on 27-2-2013 by PrivateSi because: PROOF READING

edit on 27-2-2013 by PrivateSi because: Frontline Outsourcing

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Briefly I am a "old retired worker" from several generations ago.....a long time before all the technology. I even remember "door to door sales" (today you would be arrested as a terrorist!!!!!! for carrying a briefcase.. (It might be a bomb!)

I remember when you had to pick up the telephone to make a call to someone.. AND A PERSON ANSWERED, If they did not answer, you called again later.

Today, If I call someone and the "voicemail" does not work, the girl picks up the phone and says, "Sorry The voice mail not working you can't leave a message for John Doe"

I explain to the girl that if she got a pencil and paper she can WRITE MY NAME AND PHONE NUMBER AND HAND THE MESSAGE TO HIM" She is impressed!

I cant reach people any more!!!! .. the more communications the HARDER it is to talk to someone!

Facebook, Email, Twitters, I Phones, I Pads, Computers, Skypes, Texting.... ITS NO WONDER OUR ECONOMY IS SO BAD.. Sales people cant talk to anyone but machines!

Anyone else? can you not talk to people when you need to? Does todays gadgets and technology keep you from growing your business or making sales?

That's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the actual harm that technology is doing to the planet and us.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by HiddenAgenda

That's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the actual harm that technology is doing to the planet and us.

This goes to show you really do not understand how commerce happens today.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
See, this is the problem with you older generation.
You want instant gratification...immediate contact. Shesh...go back to the days of the pony express..you think they were all freaked out that it took potentially months to get word from one side of the continent to another? And now your complaining it may take a few minutes?

Anyhow...technology is advancing our society...we however are wanting it to go faster than it is...so your frustration isn't that things aren't as good as the ole days..rather..its not as good as the future days you want.

I have some experience with this and know it to be true that older people DO have a harder time with these automated phone answering systems that so many tech support lines use. The system is NOT as friendly as it used to be. I find that most of the time I can reach somebody to talk to, but I have to go through a few hoops before getting to that point. In the past, a customer service representative could have answered immediately because they DIDN'T have automated answering systems to route calls. This was easier for people who nowadays are slow to interact.

If computer makers and software makers could add up all of the frustration in a single day that occurs during everyday computer use they could conclude that it's too bloated. Ask yourself why do we work so hard to use these bloated systems just to do basic social communication and/or something similar that we USED to do via phones or newspapers or pencil/paper in a much simpler manner? Computers have lots of bugs!! They crash! They cost a lot of money and energy! These are facts. When was the last time a paper/pencil crashed or had a bug or caused you agonizing frustration? The technological user interface is bulky and hard to learn and prone to error.

The older generation especially is being IGNORED in a variety of places. And I've seen some great points in this thread that do make me wonder if perhaps we use technology TOO OFTEN.

If we all became robots life would be so much easier. SO LETS BECOME ROBOTS. I'm certain I could sell this idea to businesses around the world! It's economic and we'll start with the youth! Being humans sucks anyway! Humans stinks and they're slow and stubborn. Robots FTW!

(ironically that's the logic a lot of business people use; it's better so is win win!!!! where is the human side of things? oh i forgot the humans stinks and do not count! it's ROBOTS FTW.)
edit on 28-2-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
If we all became robots life would be so much easier. SO LETS BECOME ROBOTS. I'm certain I could sell this idea to businesses around the world! It's economic and we'll start with the youth! Being humans sucks anyway! Humans stinks and they're slow and stubborn. Robots FTW!

(ironically that's the logic a lot of business people use; it's better so is win win!!!! where is the human side of things? oh i forgot the humans stinks and do not count! it's ROBOTS FTW.)
edit on 28-2-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

I am down with that.

Then again, I am one of those transhumanists.
Bring on the brain implants I say.

Until then..maybe they can make a dumbed down ipad for the older, the slow, the lazy, etc.

My dad (76 years old) started learning computers about 5 years back. Today he can do many, many things..impressive actually...
I think older people aren't dumb..they just often lose the desire to learn new things for some reason...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

The Computer and New Technoogy is DESTROYING Our Society

And you chose an internet chat forum to share your thoughts - ......... interesting!

The zeitgeist shifts - leaving us stranded like those rusting ships miles from the edge of the Aral Sea.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   
What I think about the technology is the use. The use of technology make it curse or the blessing. If you look at the educational sector do not you think that now the generation of our time is gaining more and more educational facilities then ever. Also they are learning very effectively with more practical way. I must say that technology is not ruining the generation by itself but the use of technology doing it,
edit on 5-3-2013 by droiddna because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by droiddna
What I think about the technology is the use. The use of technology make it curse or the blessing. If you look at the educational sector do not you think that now the generation of our time is gaining more and more educational facilities then ever. Also they are learning very effectively with more practical way. I must say that technology is not ruining the generation by itself but the use of technology doing it

Technology depends upon its use by the humans.
edit on 11-3-2013 by droiddna because: (no reason given)

cert iv tae40110
edit on 11-3-2013 by droiddna because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join