It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent and Dangerous Crashes: Is it time to Ban Motor Vehicle Racing (Nascar, Indy, etc)?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
A crash on the last lap of the Daytona 500 injured 30 fans....it could have been much worse and the tracks already have high safety fences. Given the danger to fans and drivers and the expressed endorsement of fast speeds and irresponsible fuel consumption isn't it time that we consider banning motor vehicle racing (nascar, drag cars, indy cars, trucks and motorcycles)? There isn't even a constitutional right to race (except for maybe a stretch of the "pursuit of...liberty and happiness"). What say you ATS (my tongue is firmly planted in cheek).
edit on 25-2-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

No, because Rednecks are indeed Rednecks

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

No Rednecks at Monte Carlo*....but think of the children.

* Of course we have no jurisdiction in Monaco.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

It's the adrenilin, I've seen those tight spots, I still can't wrap my head around the speed with people standing so close. Would you think that they step back?? I don't understand racing. I've had fast vehicles and the sport just never got into it

Stupidity at its best
edit on 25-2-2013 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
OMGerd lets ban knives and fists !!!!

OMGerd !!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
My hubby who's a huge Formula One addict might have something to say about this.

Maybe we should just bubble wrap everyone. This way, no one will ever get hurt ever again and accidents will become a thing of the past. Just think of how much cash we could save on medical care !

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
A crash on the last lap of the Daytona 500 injured 30 fans....it could have been much worse and the tracks already have high safety fences. Given the danger to fans and drivers and the expressed endorsement of fast speeds and irresponsible fuel consumption isn't it time that we consider banning motor vehicle racing (nascar, drag cars, indy cars, trucks and motorcycles)? There isn't even a constitutional right to race (except for maybe a stretch of the "pursuit of...liberty and happiness"). What say you ATS (my tongue is firmly planted in cheek).

Just to correct your post, It was Not the Daytona 500 where the accident occurred......as in it was actually the Daytona 300

But I agree with the rest of your post entirely as I too can readily back the ban on auto racing and things that might bruise us if we are not careful enough....

S&F

Regards, Iwinder

edit on 25-2-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
While recognizing the placement of your tongue, it seems to me that we are increasingly becoming a "risk averse" society that can tolerate nothing that might be harmful. We're becoming a nation of wusses with no courage, no curiosity, no capacity for tolerating the least pain. I believe this is a negative trend that will result in the further degradation of society. It's part of a long, downward spiral.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It's time to re-design the tracks. And that is what will happen.

Double fencing most likely,

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
While recognizing the placement of your tongue, it seems to me that we are increasingly becoming a "risk averse" society that can tolerate nothing that might be harmful. We're becoming a nation of wusses with no courage, no curiosity, no capacity for tolerating the least pain. I believe this is a negative trend that will result in the further degradation of society. It's part of a long, downward spiral.

Agreed with lots of nods to my noggin which might land me in the hospital if I am not careful.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Agreed. What we need is a law that mandates newborns be wrapped in cotton wool from birtth. Any parent that fails to completely remove 100% of all violence, racism, masocchhism, feminism and all other "isms" shall be put to death (in a private sound proof room so as not to expose the newborns to death and violence).

Motor racing is an adrenaline sport and there are accepted risks (including death) that come along with participating in the sport. Anyone that hoons around a track at 200km/h+ does so under their own volition, and any spectators that stand close enough to be maimed in the event of an accident do so of their own accord. Short of moving the grandstands 50m away from the track, replacing the chain fence with ballistic glass 15ft high and speed limiting the cars to 10km/h there's not much more that can be done to protect people from themselves

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Violent and Dangerous Crashes: Is it time to Ban Motor Vehicle Racing (Nascar, Indy, etc)?

Good lord.

Drive through Houston or Atlanta during rush hour. Let's just ban automobiles... and cell phones, and Starbucks, and screaming kids... and daily stress...

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I didnt watch it but you are correct (Daytona 500 is Memorial Day isnt it?).....but I took a mistake as reported on the news and used it (erroneously).

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

My 6 grader cant even play "Tag" during school recess anymore for fear that some kid will get hurt.....I have heard that some schools have banned "Dodge Ball" as well (same rationale). Nanny state on steroids.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

From a straight answer perspective (no sarcasm) you may be spot on there (double fencing).

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
It's time to re-design the tracks. And that is what will happen.

Double fencing most likely,

How about fixing all the cars to a cable like they do with model control line cars. All they do is go round and round anyway.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I am 53 years old and am fortunate enough to own an older pickup truck that I restored, after the restoration I found something was lacking and I knew damn well it was the getup and go that was missing......

I did a conference with my wife about this serious slow issue and she blessed me with her permission to do whatever I wanted to do with the truck........

Crate Corvette engine/headers/750 carb/3inch true dual exhaust/Aluminum intake/ on and on it went.

All said and done the truck looks like a classic that it is, and goes like hell.

The wife knew I would be ok driving it and she also drives it and loves the kick when you slap it down.

Not need for any regulations here in my garage, thank the wife and the car gods.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

reply to post by Iwinder

I didnt watch it but you are correct (Daytona 500 is Memorial Day isnt it?).....but I took a mistake as reported on the news and used it (erroneously).

No problem, I was not being critical I was just correcting what might have been corrected a little more severely.

I am gathering from some of the posts here people are not realizing that you are being sarcastic in your OP.

Enjoying the ride here.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Good lord.

Drive through Houston or Atlanta during rush hour. Let's just ban automobiles... and cell phones, and Starbucks, and screaming kids... and daily stress...

We should ban sarcasm aswell, it's clear that some people aren't bright enough to pick up on it.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

reply to post by Iwinder

Actually the Daytona 500 was the very next day believe it or not and there was not a free seat in the place.....

By that I mean sold out big time.

Regards, Iwinder

<<   2  3 >>

join