It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nano Particles + Sun = Highest efficiency for producing steam!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Makes you wonder why gold is so coveted,

This Article and Video show how that magnified sunlight by fresnel lens can boil water in a test tube with nano particles. Even if it is embedded in ice water! This is amazing, could you imagine the uses? Water purification, etc and it beats solar cells! I'm trying to figure out how they synthesized the nano particles. Here is the abstract from ACS Publications. I've also read here that colloidal gold nano particles are the best at this light to heat thing.
This might help in figuring out the colloidal gold, notice the picture where it is near black because it is subject to salt.

The surface plasmon resonance can be tuned by varying the size or shape of the nanoparticles, leading to particles with tailored optical properties for different applications. Figure 1. Colors of various sized monodispersed gold nanoparticles This phenomenon is also seen when excess salt is added to the gold solution. The surface charge of the gold nanoparticle becomes neutral, causing nanoparticles to aggregate. As a result, the solution color changes from red to blue.

Add a Tesla steam turbine and you got yourself a nice DIY electricity generator! Discuss if you please!
edit on 24-2-2013 by Emeraldous because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Emeraldous
Makes you wonder why gold is so coveted,

This Article and Video show how that magnified sunlight by fresnel lens can boil water in a test tube with nano particles. Even if it is embedded in ice water! This is amazing, could you imagine the uses? Water purification, etc and it beats solar cells! I'm trying to figure out how they synthesized the nano particles. Here is the abstract from ACS Publications. I've also read here that colloidal gold nano particles are the best at this light to heat thing.
This might help in figuring out the colloidal gold, notice the picture where it is near black because it is subject to salt.

The surface plasmon resonance can be tuned by varying the size or shape of the nanoparticles, leading to particles with tailored optical properties for different applications. Figure 1. Colors of various sized monodispersed gold nanoparticles This phenomenon is also seen when excess salt is added to the gold solution. The surface charge of the gold nanoparticle becomes neutral, causing nanoparticles to aggregate. As a result, the solution color changes from red to blue.

Add a Tesla steam turbine and you got yourself a nice DIY electricity generator! Discuss if you please!
edit on 24-2-2013 by Emeraldous because: (no reason given)

OK so everything I gather from your post and links I could access (video wouldn't load for me), is that magnifying glasses can focus the sun's light to produce heat, and shiny bits of metal in water help it heat up faster.

What is exciting about this?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Here is the video in YouTube. Nanoparticles absorb the light and convert it to heat much better than conventional methods.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Emeraldous
Here is the video in YouTube. Nanoparticles absorb the light and convert it to heat much better than conventional methods.

Thanks for the link.
Yes things that are dark absorb more light. This has been known for years. Black absorbs all light, white reflects all light. Nano particles have nothing to do with it.
The lady in the video claims ice water is at the freezing point, which is a lie. If it was at the freezing point, it would be frozen.
I keep hoping for the breakthrough with alternate energy. But this is nothing new.
edit on 24-2-2013 by randomtangentsrme because: rephrased a sentance

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Photodynamic Therapy - Near-IR absorbing gold nanoparticles (including gold nanoshells and nanorods) produce heat when excited by light at wavelengths from 700 to 800 nm. This enables these nanoparticles to eradicate targeted tumors.2 When light is applied to a tumor containing gold nanoparticles, the particles rapidly heat up, killing tumor cells in a treatment also known as hyperthermia therapy.

From your link.

Tried and tested method of producing heat out of light.

Why not harvest heat from Sunlight?

good idea.

reply to post by randomtangentsrme

Nano particles have nothing to do with it..........But this is nothing new.

Yes they do. Yes it is...You can read...The links with text may have been more informative.

Here's the video without linking...

edit on 24/2/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: “With this technology, we are beginning to think about solar thermal power in a completely different way.”

top topics

join