It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fine Line Between Reality and Illusion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I know a girl who is convinced she can manipulate the fabric of reality. She is not schizophrenic per se (meaning she can function in society and she distinguishes what's going on), plus she wants to show me what she can do. This is music to my ears: using a heuristic method rather than boring diatribes, let her show off her supposed magical skills.

As much as I believe anything is possible, I do have serious doubts anything is going to happen in this case. This is great, you may think, mission accomplished!

Yeah, but I'm also thinking about possible psychological consequences for her when she finds out she can't summon monsters and change everything around her on command (as cool as that would've been). As you know with all the movies and other stuff bombarding us today, there are people who can no longer distinguish what's what. She's not a fan of any particular series, I'd hate to go all psychiatric on her because I don't hold psychiatrists in high regard myself, but she does seem to be a fantasy-prone personality.

On the other hand, she may delve into her fantasy world deeper and deeper, justifying lack of ''magic'' due to it manifesting in a parallel reality, what have you.

How would you go about explaining to her that her powers are only in her head? She wants to show me what she can do to break my skepticism.

I even thought about pretending that her magic indeed works, but she's too smart for that.

Did you experience a similar case? What would you've done?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FlowThruSpace

even if we were in the same space, like now,, we experience reality differently, my reality isnt the same as yours,

if someone wants demons and monsters, then by cthulhu. demons and monsters they shall have,

we dont exist in "common grounds" our personal lives are like different galaxies..
only a fraction of reality seems to be the same for all of us,,,, (only seems)

her magic is real to her,, and not for you,, no point arguing about it, many different anomalies we are...
edit on 22-2-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I've met people who also have made this claim. I would advise you to stay the hell away from these people.

They appear relatively harmless at first. It's easy to sort of 'give them a pass' and shelve their weirdness for a while. But usually in the end, you're being set up for a con.

The process is very slow, and not particularly calculated. As I said though, nine out of ten times, these people are setting you up.

Be careful.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Whatever you chose to do make sure she always knows you're on her side.

I don't know.. I don't know if I even believe in reality..

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisfitToy
I've met people who also have made this claim. I would advise you to stay the hell away from these people.

They appear relatively harmless at first. It's easy to sort of 'give them a pass' and shelve their weirdness for a while. But usually in the end, you're being set up for a con.

The process is very slow, and not particularly calculated. As I said though, nine out of ten times, these people are setting you up.

Be careful.

That's always a possibility. I'll find a way to disappear... magically, of course

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I spent some time years ago with a girl who alluded to possessing mysterious powers. She was a little bit spooky but I think this was due to her tragic mixture of vulnerable transparency and obsessive resentment she housed. She was very pretty and a sweet girl. She was also a compulsive liar.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by solve

even if we were in the same space, like now,, we experience reality differently, my reality isnt the same as yours,

if someone wants demons and monsters, then by cthulhu. demons and monsters they shall have,

we dont exist in "common grounds" our personal lives are like different galaxies..
only a fraction of reality seems to be the same for all of us,,,, (only seems)

her magic is real to her,, and not for you,, no point arguing about it, many different anomalies we are...
edit on 22-2-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

Perhaps, but she'd have to manifest whatever it is she believes in in our joint reality.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

If she's an experienced lucid dreamer, then she may just be telling the truth.

Anything is possible inside your mind, and you can't say It's not real...

Is the subconscious any less real because it exists within?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Every time I think there is no magic in this world part of me feels like it has only receded.

I mean just for the hell of it, I typed Merlin the Wizard into google images and you get a million different fantasy pictures and interpretations alone...

A lot of the imagery is about this Blueish/purple aura coming out of the hands.
I wonder where such things originate from.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Well im an alien witness bro, but that don't mean i believe every person that says they have powers.

But i have met a few people who authentically have powers. I met 2 people who can dilate their pupils at will. It can be used to control people.

I know a couple clairvoyants including myself who have dreams that happen. I rarely dream now tho but when i do its vivid. Not going to elaborate because such things are terrifying. And i am a keeper of secrets. I'm aware of reality and am not delusional. But i experience things sober with other people that are extraordinary. But such paths are paths of fear, And not many people have the spine for it.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
For the good of the order:

Your friend's perception will always remain her's, and yours with "you".

Unless your self has given the will to witness it (if you were meant to experience it) then you will not.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

To get so deep into such a belief, she must've tried a million times to conjure up something. Let her try to prove it to you, and when she doesn't, but makes excuses, RUN!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Just be respectful.

If she is willing to do a demonstration, go and let her try it out. It's like praying. What's the risk?

Somehow I doubt her ideas of herself will change more than your own idea of her.

Describe your experiences to her, and participate. If nothing happens, regretfully tell her so.

Refrain from any and all opinions. As that is the number one way to lose a friend. Again, do not give your opinion, unless she asks for it. Too many people think they can say whatever they want.

If nothing happens it could be you and not her. Consider this.

Afterwards, ask her if she'd like to try it again sometime. That way you're letting her know that you aren't a judgmental baffoon and want to genuinely know about this aspect of her.

Don't get involved if you're not seriously trying to understand. Once is never enough, and you know that.

Funny you refer to her as "this girl I know". Sounds like you're judging her before you've even given her a chance.

edit on 25-2-2013 by Ewok_Boba because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
She sounds pretty cool. I mean yeah I married a psychologist and then we got divorced, she was more out of touch then most people. There is something alluring to those that are a little "off". I was a little off once a long time ago but I am so normal now. I married again to someone normal but I long for that something a little different. Reality sucks sometimes. Does she have any cool tats?

top topics

join