It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.Y. bill would force gun owners to buy at least $1M in insurance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

A bill introduced in the New York State Assembly by Assemblyman Felix Ortiz, a Democrat, would require the state’s residents to acquire liability insurance as a condition for gun ownership.

“Any person in this state who shall own a firearm shall, prior to such ownership, obtain and continuously maintain a policy of liability insurance in an amount not less than one million dollars specifically covering any damages resulting from any negligent or willful acts involving the use of such firearm while it is owned by such person,” the measure, dubbed S2353, reads.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Liability insurance for $1 million in coverage for gun owners is estimated to cost between $1,600 and $2,000 annually, the Examiner reports.

So, let me get this straight.

First, they disregard the 2nd by infringing, claiming regulation, banning all sorts of firearms.

Once that door was opened, they 'regulated' by requiring licenses, for fees- when they were already getting taxes from the sales of them. Uh huh.

And then they 'regulated' some more by requiring background checks.

Then it was a mental health issue.

And lately, hey, let's go after the vets.

Now in addition to the sales taxes and license fees, they are going to require you pay $150.00+ PER MONTH JUST TO OWN ONE.

And where is that money going to go, Mr. Gun Grabber? Huh?

Does it really matter? NO, it doesn't.

What you want is war, Mr.

1776. 2013.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Pricing the poor out of arming themselves has been a standard tactic of tyrants for centuries.

It has been tried both unsuccessfully and successfully in the US plenty of times over the years.

Better the plebes only have stones and pitch forks should they decide to get uppity.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Did not see this coming, then again Im not surprised.

They will use what looks like a legal framework to Make the citizens choose to disarm themselves as the alternative will be to expensive.

This could be the start of the end, make it more and more expensive just to own a gun, not use it, just own it.

Namaste.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Why are those CLOWNS posing as elected representatives still around? Have New Yorkers lost their balls to eject constitution oath breakers and traitors, and send them to be tried?

Insurance IS an infringement to the 2nd Amendment, and does NOTHING to keep the bad guys from having guns to rob, threaten or kill others. It only makes the good guys - honest citizens to be disarmed, or pay a hefty price to protect themselves, of which those traitors had failed to do.

What are New Yorkers waiting for? Dog collars around their necks?
edit on 21-2-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I hope all this garbage passes in NY. They get what they voted for.

I guess criminals will be required to get the insurance also

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Why are those CLOWNS posing as elected representatives still around? Have New Yorkers lost their balls to eject constitution oath breakers and traitors, and send them to be tried?

Insurance IS an infringement to the 2nd Amendment, and does NOTHING to keep the bad guys from having guns to rob, threaten or kill others. It only makes the good guys - honest citizens to be disarmed, or pay a hefty price to protect themselves, of which those traitors had failed to do.

What are New Yorkers waiting for? Dog collars around their necks?
edit on 21-2-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

Oh we are working on it trust me. Are you aware of the process involved to remove an elected official? You can't just put 50 names on a list and create a petition and have people sign it. While this new insurance bill recently surfaced keep in mind we have several lawsuits against the first law that was passed in January filed. More and more people are speaking up against this crap and we now have last time I counted around 45 out of 60 some counties stating on record they will not support the new (UN)SAFE act. It will take time we are working on it, nobody is sitting around here in NYS trust me, we are out attending meetings, protesting etc. Doing what we can within the legal limits of the law to make it known this will not stand. If I had it my way a large group, some rope, couple dozen trees, and these bastards hanging by them. But we have to remain civil else we are no better than them.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
I hope all this garbage passes in NY. They get what they voted for.

I guess criminals will be required to get the insurance also

NO NYC got what they voted for. Keep in mind that NYC controls the entire state. Look on a map locate NYC then look at the rest of the state. Here this is a map I made for another thread concerning the counties calling for a repeal of the new law. See a pattern? I know it hasn't been updated in a few days as I haven't had the time, there should be much more green on the map. Green voted yes yellow working on it and blank nothing.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Good job there. I sincerely wish you all the best. Glad there are still good honest men left in NY.

Another law which those Constitution oath breakers will attempt would be to legislate a heavy tax upon GUN MANUFACTURERS, to avoid taxing the consumers.

Using this technique, effectively the gun manufacturers will pay heft taxes ABOVE what a normal biz enterprise will pay, and thus they will pass on such costs to the consumers, which will be prohibitive to honestly own a gun a the sacred Constitution had ruled and agreed upon by all during the country's founding.

Not that such techniques had not been used before. This is the same sleight of hand trick they had used on ciggerattes manufacturers, and thus the rise on cost of that product.

Should it be ever legislated, then citizens must make citizen arrests upon those oath breakers/traitors and haul them to prisons to be tried.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This bill is clearly racist. Minorities have the average lowest incomes and are therefore targeted by this bill. Only rich white people would be able to afford guns. (legally that is)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
This bill is clearly racist. Minorities have the average lowest incomes and are therefore targeted by this bill. Only rich white people would be able to afford guns. (legally that is)

Oh, but of course....Rich black people could not afford guns either just because they are black.

Anyone who even TALKS about skin color to make a political point anymore IS a racist, to me. So there.
But I suppose that might be too advanced thinking for some. And for those, they'll never get it- racist for life.

We don't need racist political points. It just causes more divides. We don't need more regulation with this BS insurance proposal. We need a united stand on supporting the 2nd. The end.

edit on Thu Feb 21st 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
What a dumb Idea. The Obama Care law is a slippery slope. To require gun owners to maintain liability insurance will severely infringe on the right to keep and bear arms. Basically you would be buying life insurance for another unknown person. Could be well over $500/ month.

If it passes in NY other states could follow as well as the feds. Not a good idea at all.

It would seem that NY has become the test bed for more BS anti-gun laws.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Yep. If they can't infringe them away by banning them, they'll take them away from the poor by making them choose between food and a gun. For most, that's every bit as good as banning them outright. Dead by a thousand cuts. It's tyranny. PURE tyranny. When only the rich can own one through those outrageous insurance costs, again the average person doesn't stand a chance. I wonder how the SCOTUS would view THAT one, if it ever got that far. Surely they would see that is beyond reasonable, and violates the 2nd through prohibitive and overbearing legislation.

Every single tax, registration, checks, and regulation on guns ought to be removed, is what really should happen. I just saw an article the other day where one politician was pushing for the ban on fully auto weapons to be repealed- again, those laws are unconstitutional.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
y no outrage for car insurance ?

doesn't that price out the poor from basic transportation and the ability to drive to a job while the criminals will just drive without it ?

hmmmmm
edit on 23-2-2013 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
y no outrage for car insurance ?

doesn't that price out the poor from basic transportation and the ability to drive to a job while the criminals will just drive without it ?

hmmmmm
edit on 23-2-2013 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

Does your car insurance force you to get $1,000,000 worth of coverage?

No it doesnt.

Also with your damn food stamps saving you $300 a month, I think you can afford state minimum car insurance.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Lot of crying over nothing in my opinion, I''m a self employed builder and have £3,000,000 public liability insurance cover in case of accident. It costs me just under £100 per year.
If you can afford a gun then you should really be able to afford accidental insurance cover.
"My rights are breached!" Pathetic if you ask me, I'd be happier knowing I could get a pay out from an insurance scheme in the event of an accident, not chasing someone through the courts for a couple of bucks a week because they don't have the cash in the bank to cover their irresponsible gun ownership.

*Edit*
Just found a company here in the restrictive UK which offers insurance for gun owners:

£10,000,000 Country Sports Public Liability cover in the UK, whilst participating in: Clay Pigeon / Target Shooting, Rough Shooting, Vermin Control, Wild Fowling, Rifle Shooting (inc stalking), Recreational activities of Hunting and Wildfowling (including falconry, hawking, rabbit, pigeon, game, deer),

It costs around £25 per year.
Now as insurance prices are determined by risk and numbers of people taking out such cover, I would imagine similar cheap deals in the US. All this whining about restrictive anti 2nd legislation is ridiculous, but hey, if you have enough cash in the bank to cover any and all accidents from your gun ownership then I guess you don't need it.
edit on 23-2-2013 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

First bit of ignorance to your post is that the cost of living in NY is obscene and I notice you listed your premiums in I believe what is the British pound. Using a foreign currency to make your point about anything in the US is ridiculous. If anything in the past few years has been a source of great amusement it has been how much keeps getting offered to insurance companies. Easy to see where their political donations go. You also throw out there about gun owners being irresponsible, how is this law gonna affect the criminals. Not like they will have insurance for any guns they own. The whole sue happy BS is just another part of what is wrong with society. The only ones who benefit are lawyers as they get all kind of fees to represent people for just that kind of garbage. Also as is typical do we know where law enforcement is figured into this? Since most leo's own personal firearms also, I doubt the counties will want to eat the cost of a law suit against one their officers. They can barely afford their current obligations. If the officers have to eat the cost themselves, I doubt that will go over well.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
First bit of ignorance to your post is that the cost of living in NY is obscene and I notice you listed your premiums in I believe what is the British pound. Using a foreign currency to make your point about anything in the US is ridiculous.
Why, do you not understand conversion rates?

You also throw out there about gun owners being irresponsible
Do not take me out of context. Some gun owners are irresponsible, as are some drivers of vehicles.

how is this law gonna affect the criminals. Not like they will have insurance for any guns they own.
What's your point there, uninsured drivers kill people all the time. Insurance provides financial assistance to victims of road traffic accidents all the time. In the UK the Insurance industry even has a fund scheme which covers the costs for victims of uninsured drivers, I suppose you'd disagree with that as well.

The whole sue happy BS is just another part of what is wrong with society.
What, seeking compensation from someone elses accident is not acceptable to you? I'd prefer a situation where an insurance company pays for my ongoing medical treatment/loss of earnings than some pathetic court order of 10 bucks per week because the gun owner who injured me does not have any money. Would you disagree with that?
edit on 23-2-2013 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I would have my guns "stolen", reported. And then keep them loaded... and hidden.

join