It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world’s first 3D printing pen: Yours for just $75

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Hi all

Wow this is the coolest pen ever ,im gonna go buy one right away. The video makes it look so cool it actually raises what your are writing off the paper,or alows you to draw in 3-d ..

I have to have one. :
:
:

3Doodler is a Kickstarter project, and in under 24 hours it has obtained more than $500,000 in pledges . As you can see in the video below, the inventors have already created an impressive prototype, and now it’s time to bring the 3Doodler to market. The target price is $75 for a September 2013 release.

www.extremetech.com...

Come September, if everything goes to plan, the world’s first 3D printing pen will go on sale for $75. The pen, called the 3Doodler, essentially allows you to lift your flat sketches off the paper — or, if you wish, to actually draw in three dimensions

thats to cool

Moving forward, this could be a very exciting stepping stone for inventors and hobbyists alike. While 3D printers have revolutionized rapid prototyping tool, the 3Doodler is even faster; it adds a whole new dimension (!) to back-of-the-napkin brainstorming. To begin with, I suspect it will be quite hard to create meaningful sketches with a 3Doodler, but in time — and with a whole range of usability tweaks and add-on accessories that I’m sure will follow — the 3D printing pen might become as ubiquitous as the 2D Bic ballpoint

:
edit on 20-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This is spectacular! I will be buying one as well for my kids. It's going to be an amazing 10 years with all the advancements we are making in even the simplest of things. Let's hope most of them are used for good and not evil although I have my doubts.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I think it's very cool...... but......
If you took a hot glue gun that had a small diameter nozzle, it'd do the same thing. Add some color to the glue and there ya go. I know they're doing it with plastic, but it's still a glorified hot glue gun.
edit on 20-2-2013 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Well, it's not really a pen. It doesn't use ink that stays on the paper and can be used as a legal document. It's more of a toy string, a sticky string. Calling it a pen is false advertising, imnho.

Edit: Oh, they don't call it a pen, it's a "Doodler". So they get around the pen question.
edit on 20-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Not as amazing as I was thinking it was going to be. It kind of just reminds me of a hot glue gun with cheap plastic instead of glue.

~OkieDokie

ETA: I see David beat me to it on that same line of thinking.
edit on 20-2-2013 by OkieDokie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I think a lot of engineering students are about to have some very interesting tests in their classes.
I have about five projects waiting on me to buy one of these.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
I think it's very cool...... but......
If you took a hot glue gun that had a small diameter nozzle, it'd do the same thing. Add some color to the glue and there ya go. I know they're doing it with plastic, but it's still a glorified hot glue gun.
edit on 20-2-2013 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

This is still in its early stages as the tech advances I bet it will be much better

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hmmm, so a cheap glue gun that shoots plastic string... I suppose there would be a use for this, but I fear that the cost of replacement "ink/string/plastic" is where they will be making their money.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I would love to see a video of some one doing that with a glue gun

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Wow thats really cool!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by OkieDokie
Not as amazing as I was thinking it was going to be. It kind of just reminds me of a hot glue gun with cheap plastic instead of glue.

~OkieDokie

ETA: I see David beat me to it on that same line of thinking.
edit on 20-2-2013 by OkieDokie because: (no reason given)

Well, great minds and all that.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Yes........Its a simple Hot Glue Gun......
But think of the applications!!!!!
Theres gonna be a CONSTRUCTION TOOL that will allow engineers to design and "PRINT A HOUSE IN A COUPLE DAYS.....ON THE SITE!
It would be printed and couloured and blended right into the setting!
I can imagine printed dwellins will be easy enough for amatures to build their own even......
Theres a million thins that can happen here...!
I believe that its possible to return to classic sculptures like the ancients did with this method...
When the ARTISTS get a hold of this its gonna get strange and wonderful around the planet!
Aconsteallation of stars OP!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Now that is wild.

I'll have to get one for my niece.

Technology is so cool.

Thanks.

Uh, So how you suppose to the buy this thing? I'm trying to buy it right now.

edit on 20-2-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Uh, So how you suppose to the buy this thing? I'm trying to buy it right now.

edit on 20-2-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

september is not that far off..

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Dang, I have to wait that long.

Geesh.

Do an update in September on the website for me to order one.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

horrible invention. totally spooky, wont be getting one
edit on 20-2-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Plastic isn't good and shouldn't be used anymore especially on something like this

Love the idea n the new toy but still these things you make will govto waste n destroy this planet even more

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This 3d printing/writing stuff is sort of neat when you think about bringing the manufacturing to the individual.

Something that is perhaps too early to concern ourselves with however is the trash.

Say, 1/6th of America gets a 3d printer in the next 10 years. that's 50 million people all melting plastic and creating little plastic trinkets and then tossing them into the landfills.

As consumers adopt them it'll increase demand for plastic materials. Walmarts nationwide stocking hunks of plastic and plastic non-solids.

I wonder what the environmental toll will be once this goes mainstream.

A few nerd making action figures of themselves and a workshop making a part here and there is one thing but everybodys idiot kids making pointless things just to play is going to add up.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Oh Jeebus!
Wah wah wah....
Stop creating the huge redundant waste the packaging industry hrives off of....
The plastic packaging they use could be recycled into ink for the pens easily....
Th midgion of plastic these will create is a drop in a bucket of the situation....
Perhaps it will get kids away from their plastic TV sets, and the plastic programming they implant from it into the people.
Dont be green meanies...be smart greenies for gods sake.....

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
printed pens are the promotional pens. It is a good idea to improve the business with these types of pens as this may remain in the memories of customers forever.

edit on 17-5-2013 by sharmilabanu because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-5-2013 by sharmilabanu because: due to some spelling mistakes

edit on 17-5-2013 by sharmilabanu because: some spelling mistakes

new topics

top topics

active topics

join