It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is there a severe obesity epidemic?!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

What an excellent informative post...thank you. I will be investigating more of what you've spoken about. I'm particularly struck by the idea that our dislike for some foods is actually our bodies telling us that we shouldn't eat them. (like leeks...yuk....
) Like you say, it's such a complicated issue, and we need to move away from the "one size fits all" approach.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I was very skinny until age 28 then my weight took off like a rocket. There was no change in calories or diet. Obesity now may be caused by pesticides, pollutants, stress and perhaps a myriad of problems. Going gluten and alcohol free did reduce my weight substantially.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by zonetripper2065

Yes, you nailed it. Income and the kind of foods available in the stores.

I disagree. You can eat healthy food cheap. The biggest problem here is that it is boring and requires more effort.

Education is the key. Will to want to do it provides the basis.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I hope I am not repeating another poster - apologies in advance; I would think that my experience of life in the fat lane may be more common then some realize. I tend to jump in once I have read several posters verbally regurgitating the same answers; with good intent I am sure just a sliding scale of the same answer(s).

I myself was underweight for most of my public school years. Through my late teens up to my early 30's I remained around a size 3 to 5; even after my first baby. When I was pregnant though they pushed me to gain weight through eating more times a day and a "hearty" diet. I got up to 189 when I gave birth. I am 5'4. My mother is the same height and is xxxL, as was my aunt. Alternatively my grandmother and 2 female cousins were as thin as myself.

When I hit mid 30 my metabolism crashed. I also started waking up in hives. I had a very stressful advertising career, commute of over and hour, while being a single mom. Needless to say the commute gave me more stress - nothing like driving 38 miles in gridlock. Overnight it seemed like I started gaining weight but learned it was from all of the steroids they gave me to control my hives because nothing else would resolve the issue.

My diet was always pretty healthy and wasn't never really had a sweet tooth. I prepared meals every evening but sometimes I used frozen vegs and never really "researched our proteins." We drank water (tap) all the time every day; I would drink coffee behind a couple of bottles of children't benadryl to be able to go to work.

Now 9 years later my weight is the same as when I was pregnant. I did have another baby @40 and boy that seemed to wreck something inside because I began to have spinal issues. The constant pain kept me less mobilized than someone else at my age and I did not sit and shove food in my face all day. Actually the opposite. I ate tons of salad, veggies and lean meat as well as fish. My weight climbed up to 193.

Now I am dealing with hypothyroidism, Hashimotos disease. I think it could be chopped up to the gallons flouridated water I would drink in the week as well as damage from the steroids.

I truly believe that all the meds we take affect our metabolic continuity, the foods ARE poisoned as well as the vaccines we are pumped with (here in the states as we are young). Combining the issues one could state this causes damage to our adrenal, pituitary, and pineal glands. Much less dehydrating our cartilige/collagen levels through flouridation which added all together becomes chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, MS and possibly many other "stationary diseases."

Sadly it seems to me through my experience that there are many factors that are allowed to keep us working crazy mad during our prime years and as we age maybe the GMOS, hormones and antibiotics causes the inability to be as healthy as we might in other countries. Many countries do not allow hormones and antibiotics in their meat to boot the GMO foods.

MANY Americans are clueless about the processead, fast, microwaveable foods, margarine and sodium laddened products that create havoc on our systematic "wiring."

ETA: My husband is from the UK - he can eat anything and is never ill. Makes hone in on the vaccines and flouridation induction in America that may be the culprit.
edit on 21-2-2013 by mcsandy because: eta

The Sad Truth About the Future (title of thread I forgot to add)
ATS recent thread
edit on 21-2-2013 by mcsandy because: adding another link of chemicals, our body and the outcomes

edit on 21-2-2013 by mcsandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matt1951
I was very skinny until age 28 then my weight took off like a rocket. There was no change in calories or diet. Obesity now may be caused by pesticides, pollutants, stress and perhaps a myriad of problems. Going gluten and alcohol free did reduce my weight substantially.

There's a much simpler explanation in your situation; metabolic rate slows down with age. I'm not claiming to know for a fact that external factors didn't play a role but it can only to a certain extent.

Gluten free has nothing to do with weight loss, you can eat gluten free but end up consuming more carbohydrates and fat. The only thing that matters is calorie intake. Basically, if you want to lose weight, exercise more and eat less.

Of course over-consumption isn't the only reason for obesity. I went up to over 260 lbs when I was 15 because of medication, primarily because of cortisone, but a year later I was down to 160. A year after that I was down to 140 which is a weight I maintain, I gain weight during wintertime because I tend to do less but I don't blame winter for that and for the past 2-3 years I've worked out and gotten out despite the cold and maintained a good average. When I'm on the road for months at a time I sometimes go down to 120lbs because I'm so active.

Metabolic rate is also something that changes throughout your life, throughout the seasons and even throughout the day. Getting up in the morning and bathing in the sunlight will kick start your metabolism, regular eating and sleeping habits will also affect your Metabolism.

Although some people have a slower metabolism the difference isn't as drastic as people suggest it is, it is never a reason for obesity. That is, a person's metabolism is on par with the amount of physical activity required for that person. That is, someone with a slower Metabolism can work out and do many thing to speed up his BMR.

So yes there are external factors that can affect weight gain but they work with tandem with the amount of food consumed. Unless it's a medical issue I cannot see a tangible reason why anyone could not control their weight.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

What was the income of prehistoric man? What grocery store did he shop at?

I'm serious.

This is the kind of approach we need to take. To stop pretending like all these task we do day after day should take precedence on a healthy lifestyle. We need to take the time to live, breathe, love and play.

Plant a garden, that way you get cheap food and exercise or choose a local market which sells local products and walk there or take a bike ride.

It's that easy.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by 4REVOLUTION

If you read my above post somewhere up there I eat what I kill and not much else. Im not saying fast food. Cheap food, frozen foods etc is much cheaper for a large family.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
reply to post by rickymouse

What an excellent informative post...thank you. I will be investigating more of what you've spoken about. I'm particularly struck by the idea that our dislike for some foods is actually our bodies telling us that we shouldn't eat them. (like leeks...yuk....
) Like you say, it's such a complicated issue, and we need to move away from the "one size fits all" approach.

The thing to remember about this is that kids need to taste a lot of different foods when they are young. attending functions where there is a variety of foods is also good as the child gets older. This way the kid can customize their diet to their metabolic needs. Watching the child's reaction to the food is important, it may make them feel good but they will get symptoms hours to a few days later. Deficiencies build up slowly so they cannot easily be detected. Overconsumption of some foods, especially breads or milk, can cause deficiencies. If the metabolism is compromised than nutrients can be locked out.

Take for instance B12 deficiency. To use this vitamin the proper enzymes need to be secreted from an area in the top round of the stomach. If a person gets stomach binding or throws up a lot this area does not work right. They slowly get deficient on B12 over a long period of time. B12 shots become necessary or there is another possibility. Under the tongue there are also some secretatory glands that can metabolize this. Sublingual methyl cobalamin can work for some people. I learned from someone here that too much vitamin c can cause a b12 deficiency also because vitamin C causes the body to metabolize iron better and b12 and Iron compete using the same chemicals in the digestive tract and in the blood. So eating too much vitamin C for too long can cause B12 depletion. It is good that we often forget to take these supplements otherwise we would be sick in the longterm. Is forgetting something our subconscious makes us do so we don't poison ourselves?

I see that increasing the communication between the conscious and subconscious is important and I see that people are misled by their knowledge to cause future harm. The problem associated with health has many problems, food is constantly changing, soils are getting depleted, chemicals are added to foods to supposedly protect us, and kids are sheilded from eating a variety of things.

Fixing the problem.....We can utilize two things for energy, both fats and sugars. Some people utilize sugar fine in high amounts while others cannot. Food is being changed and the fats that are in them are full of toxins, they are really not toxins as much as we cannot properly metabolize them without creating chemicals that we cannot get rid of. This makes us lock the unknown chemicals into fat cells until liver and kidney function is not overworked. If we never get a chance to process this fat it builds up. Releasing this chemistry by fasting could be dangerous, something that could be a problem if the SHTF. It will either compromise rational thinking or make us sick. These chemicals in fat can also be used by the body to fight diseases, we are more prone to diseases in winter so we store fat for that along with energy. Trouble is that this fat is welded shut because we compromise our ability to metabolize it with the existing western diet. I'm going to work on trying to figure the best way to keep this from happening. We don't need to lose any telemeres and age quickly.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by fireysnowman29

Old news, but lots of chemicals in our environment, water and food have epigenetic effects and truly bugger all kinds of body systems. ONE symptom is obesity.

News release on the effects of human exposure to hormone-disrupting chemicals examined in landmark UN report

Some substances can alter the hormonal system

Human health depends on a well-functioning endocrine system to regulate the release of certain hormones that are essential for functions such as metabolism, growth and development, sleep and mood. Some substances known as endocrine disruptors can alter the s) of this hormonal system increasing the risk of adverse health effects. Some EDCs occur naturally, while synthetic varieties can be found in pesticides, electronics, personal care products and cosmetics. They can also be found as additives or contaminants in food. ...

Human exposure can occur in a number of ways

EDCs can enter the environment mainly through industrial and urban discharges, agricultural run-off and the burning and release of waste. Human exposure can occur via the ingestion of food, dust and water, inhalation of gases and particles in the air, and skin contact.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I have lost 35 pounds in 6 months. I quit eating bread or any grains. I drink a lot more water, and quit drinking soda and milk. Basically, I began to take cod liver oil, quit using mayo, or ranch dressings and use extra virgin olive oils. Small changes in the diet can make a world of difference!!

We are a malnourished nation, like someone said, we eat and eat because our bodies are being tricked and what do most people crave? CARBS!!!

I also have to say I think air conditioning has a lot to do with it. We have lost our bodies natural rhythm. In the winter we should have larger fat stores and in the summer working days we should be sweating from labor. Those days are long gone.

Medically speaking cortisol is a main problem. Too much stress on the body causes adrenal fatigue!!!!!!!!!!
Adrenal Fatigue

We live in the most stressed country in my opinion. America: Work harder faster longer!! No vacations, who has time? Get rid of the stress and maybe lose some weight!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matt1951

Your metabolism finally began to slow down. That's right around the correct age for that to happen. I'm dreading those days because I'm still at the point where I can eat or drink whatever I want and still go to the scale and only see maybe one or two extra pounds that are gone within the next week or so.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
Its the diet, fatty foods are cheap. It's all people can afford.

Nope. There's a loop of behavior involved here. No argument that fatty foods are available in stores and that some of them are cheap. You're missing the fact that the laziness is often the cause of both obesity and the lack of income to "afford" healthier foods. Also I'm not buying it that its not possible to choose healthy food on the same budget that buys chips, cookies, cakes and a steady stream of fast food. Its a lifestyle CHOICE. Apples are still $1.47 a pound. Bananas $.52 a pound. Fat people are fat mostly because they won't stop eating and they don't consider it a meal unless it comes with fries.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I ate tons of salad, veggies and lean meat as well as fish. My weight climbed up to 193.

Sound like someone fell for the low fat lie.

It's not your fault, it's just what you've been taught.

I need to type out my "diet manefesto" and make it my signature...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
Its the diet, fatty foods are cheap. It's all people can afford.

. Its a lifestyle CHOICE. Apples are still $1.47 a pound. Bananas $.52 a pound. Fat people are fat mostly because they won't stop eating and they don't consider it a meal unless it comes with fries.

I completely agree with it being a lifestyle choice! well stated! hit the nail on the head with that!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I would have never thought that they would have had a press release to that extent actually leaning towards the facts that I posted in my long winded story up above.

For me with serious health issues and the belief that the water, commercial products on a wide scale, the 'cheaper" foods, vaccines and environmental disruption of our atmosphere IS the root to my illnesses. Where western medicine loves treating symptons, not the root of the problems.

So glad that I included my story here - If I hadn't I would not have found this. To me it is hardcore proof to "argue" with my edocrine doc!

THX!!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

This pulled quote seems to have came from my wee bit long thread. I purposely explained in detail my history of sorts. Ultimately trying to explain loosely - no restaurants - no junk food - keifer - yougurt (greek) - as well as a multi blended smoothie with raw vegs & fruits, dashes of egg wite powder for protein.

I myself have never fell for any diet. I all of a sudden hives over ran my body along with antiphilactic shock. I went to grand lengths to try and figure out the issue and 18 docs were at a loss. Where I was given allergy tests and found I was allergic to everything and basically needed to live in a bubble. Not an option eh? That is when I tried to eat the slowest food as possible and affordable.

Again no matter the diet unless your endocrine system is operating at its maximum weight will be locked in as fat even though I didn't drive thru mickeys every morning and ate frozen pizzas every night. I definitely believe the "fat" has a memory and it is hard for it to let go of its own baggage.

If you want to pm me I will gladly experiment with your diet manifesto. One thing to add though....I have a four year old daughter my anti-processed GMO food rebellion is creating a problematic situation. If she doesn't see me eat things that daddy is eating she won't touch it. I will digress......that could be an entirely new thread if someone would like to place in as an order of ATS debate. (I am the WORST thread generator but a very good leader.)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

In response to your statement that food is cheap.....I must ask what type of food are you relating to? Hunting would be a fesiable answer or growing your own food and raising your own proteins. I am not able to do this.

I am in GA, I get gov't allocated $ as I am on the verge of shear handicap from my back. I can't shop at a local farmer's market because they will not except the tender and I shop between 3 stores to get the biggest bang for my buck in mostly organically labeled and non-gmo food as well as gluten free. Of course I do not purchase frozen anything, sodas, unhealthy snacks like red koolaid and Newport flavored lays, colored gel like things as fruit "snacks" for my daughter, no quick brownies, cupcakes, little debbies, no sweets, and absolutely nothing with high fructose syrup.

We eat farmer's or cabbot cheese, as well as fruits,vegs that are pesticide free, cage free vegitarian eggs, greek yogurt, herbal tea with organic honey, all natural unpasturized OJ, almond milk, antibiotic free / grass fed / cage free / proteins and only wild salmon / trout or cod. NONE of this is cheap what so ever.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by fireysnowman29

I tend to agree with you about the main cause. The problem is people are constantly looking for excuses for themselves. Until you own up to your own problems you can't fix them. That's just the truth. All your problems begin and end with the person in the mirror. The day you admit it is the day you can finally fix it.

People say it's the carbs, the pills, the toxins, anything but "I put too much food in my mouth".
edit on 21-2-2013 by antonia because: opps

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Definitely the cost. You can buy 4 apples or an entire McDonalds value meal for the same cost. $3.50 for a bag of frozen vegetables or 2 giant bags of chips. A package of six mystery meat hot dogs for $2.50 vs a pound of freshly cut ham for $8.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
It might be my grandma's fault. She was HUGE 4'9 and weighed over 300 pounds.
She had 9 kids and then they all had several.

I notice, at least in my family, that all of us women - when younger- were built REALLY GOOD. We get older, we get fat. So I think genetically, just from my observations, survival is geared towards those with the genetics to get fat.

I know, I know, everyone thinks if you are fat you are a walking heart attack. It's not true. I don't trust much of anything coming out about obesity, because the US defense dept is all worried it is a national security crisis. They are the ones that put all the money in propaganda and sock puppets so I don't believe much of what people say. I mainly believe what I see.

I go to the gymn. It's a large gymn. 80% of the people working out will be really fat. But they won't be at home in front of the tv with bon-bons like the news would make you believe. A LOT of fat people are working out.

Some of it IS money. Food is expensive. Cheap food is full of fat and calories and no nutrition. Add to that so many people have all adults working and no time for food prep....and then....

...people got fat before the last depression and drought and dust bowl. Like crazy - back then they were saying there was a fat epidemic. I saw some pictures of my dad's family during that time with church groups and yeah, a LOT of them were REALLY fat.

Maybe some of it is instinct. Like how bears get fat before they hibernate. I'm not convinced something in us is not working subconsciously to prepare for hard times.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join