It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fury over Sandhurst's insult to Mons heroes: Hall renamed after £3million gift from Bahrain king

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Fury over Sandhurst's insult to Mons heroes: Hall renamed after £3million gift from Bahrain king

The Mons Hall was named to honour thousands of British soldiers who died during the battle in Belgium in 1914.

But despite the 100th anniversary of the battle next year, military chiefs are changing its name to King Hamad Hall after the Bahraini ruler, who has given millions to Sandhurst.

edit on 18-2-2013 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-2-2013 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I wonder, is it just me or does anybody else find this rather distasteful?
It seems nothing is sacred anymore and everything has a price, and money is welcome from anyone.

That they would change the name to "honour" a dodgy Middle Eastern dictator after a bung is disgusting enough, but it appears that this is not the first such deal as they also took a £15Million bung to fund a new block at the military site.
Of course, it's all cosying up to those with the money, who of course are also buying military equipment from us and having their military officers trained here. However, changing the name that honours our own war dead in favour of some rich dictator is a step way too far, as I would hope many agree.
Money talks as always and I find it even more disgusting that top brass would allow such a thing to happen, but of course most of them are politicized these days too and will do whatever it takes to get a peerage and a gong come retirement time, along with a cushy consultancy position and middleman status pimping for the rich dictators they cosied up to on the taxpayer payroll.

www.dailymail.co. uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
That is CENSORED ridiculous. What an insult. I am insulted by it, and I am not even British.

You know, I just figured out why capitalism is such a cancer. Because under thriving capitalism like we have in The US and in Britain, money talks louder than history, honor, pride, justice, and intelligence. Capitalism *undercuts everything which Humans find precious in life.* I could never find the words for that before.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This has to stop.

It's become like fantasy land here. And I am surrounded by people oblivious to it.

Let's hope, in our lifetime, enough of us put an end to this tyranny. We must rescue what's left of this country for our children, and grandchildren.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I really cannot believe this.

There really are no words for this. There are some things one can name in honour of a donator, and others that ought to be named for heros. A place to train the heros of tomorrow, ought to be named for the heros of yesteryear, not because it recieves an enourmous donation.

I mean... What in the hell is going on here?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
WTF.. why does it matter.. This happened in 1914. It is not exactly going to upset war veterans now is it... The only people it is going to upset are sanctimonious arm chair critics..

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Never Ever forget where we come from. Ever, This makes me sick. In 50 years if we still exist all our cultural in heritage will be wiped. And history will be written and changed by the biggest brand and bidder.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

I have not forgotten where we come from. We all come from the mother nation known as Africa....

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Well, I wasnt alive when the Romans butchered my nations culture, and I wasnt alive when the Nazis were trying to take over Europe. I am still happy to learn from these periods in time, to ensure that such tyranny does not come into existence in my sight.

You dont learn lessons by forgetting the past.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
some things astound me.....but this (if true) will simply blow my mind.
we take our military heritage seriously in this land and this for me is the last straw, it's a slap in the face to all the dead from the battle of Mons....utterly shameful...
I dont believe a words from the Daily Mail at the best of times...sorry (daily Heil), but this report is all over the internet...not saying it's true....I certainly hope not....in fact....it cant be true....i await a statement from sandhurst.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Well, now we know that what you consider to be honor and tradition can be bought off for the right price.

Remember, history repeats itself to those who do not remember.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

That's disgusting.

What's next? Renaming 10 Downing Street to King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud Street?

Your government is taking political correctness to a whole new level.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Please explain what this has to do with honour... Tradition on the other hand is not something I care particularly for. Without deviation from the norm change will not occur...

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I have no gripe about learning from the past. I agree with you that to forget the past is to forget how to live in the present...

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Please explain what this has to do with honour... Tradition on the other hand is not something I care particularly for. Without deviation from the norm change will not occur...

Honoring those who gave their lives in the folly of war. Meaning remembering those who have passed before you. And while tradition can be a bad thing, it can also be a good thing as well.

For example. It has been my tradition for the past three decades to host a un-Thanksgiving BBQ dinner for my friends who do not have family in the area. Steaks, Corn on the cob, Baked potatoes and of course beer and wine.

It has been so successful , that the last one I held, everyone brought their girl and boy friends with them. I was the only one who was single.
No wait...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   

I don't even see it as political correctness. More a case of our government simply pimping for foreign rulers and rolling over if the price is right.
They long ago stopped representing the people and do not give a damn about the rest of us, but will bend over backwards to please foreign leaders or entities for money.

We are seeing this more and more as Cameron seems to like jetting off around the world, pimping for big corporations and selling us all down the river. Cosying up to foreign dictators, especially those with horrendous human rights records (which they never talk about) is just plain wrong, and something the people of this country should NOT tolerate.

I won't hold my breath waiting for them to taken to task over it though, as the opposition would do exactly the same anyway.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I am sorry to say, that is indeed an insult, to give a foreign name to a piece of British history to a foreign Feudal King because he have the money to buy himself that piece of history, this should be for the People of to decided.

Sad days when money as usual can buy anything and it doesn't matter if is from terrorist countries and feudal monarchies.

I wonder when they will start buying the US monuments in Washington, I heard that Obama cuts is going to crap our landmarks and national parks, Hey the Bahrain king should buy Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone national park they are in need of money.

edit on 19-2-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Well, i have to say that this is absolute bollocks.....

Why dont we put a minoret on top of the cenotaph and rename rememberance day "Lets all remember King Hamads pay offs day", or why not rename D Day "HRH King Hamads greatest bought moment of British history day"....

These grovelling little bastards at Sandhurst have sold out the memory of the fallen of Mons to apease an oil sheikh just to keep that money rolling in.

I bet the bastard was even awarded the VC after he signed the cheque.

How sad.

How disgustingly sad.
edit on 20-2-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join