It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uganda to launch its first space observer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Article: Uganda to launch its first space observer

As far as I can tell, this is for real. It doesn't look too space-worthy, more like something you'd use in your kitchen (salad spinner, anyone?).

Nsamba was briefing the Vice-President, Edward Ssekandi, who inspected the launch pad of the space observer at Kimaka Airfield in Jinja on Monday.

"This has demonstrated that Ugandans can also participate in sophisticated programmes. This is impressive and the Government will support the association. I am going to brief the President about this,” Ssekandi said.

Nsamba and his eight-man team demonstrated to Ssekandi how the space probe works while in transit in the orbit.

The team also hid the space probe and demonstrated to the Vice-President how it can be tracked using satellite in case it lands in another country.

Nsamba revealed that the space probe has self-defence, anti-time missile features, which protect it from being hit by missiles destined to destroy it in case it passes in the space of another country.

After its launch, they will put a mouse in it and will have it lifted to the stratosphere by a helium balloon.

That poor mouse! I'm not sure if I should do a double facepalm or cheer them on with an "A" for effort.

Here is another good link for information on this project:

Cadimella Space Observer ready for her mission

From the article:

Below are its basic specifics.
-Orbit Altitude: Over 176km Above Sea Level
-Orbit Speed Range: 6200km/h
-Life On-board: Mice/Rat
-Re-entry method: 3 phase shoot deployment in ascending order
-Oxygen: 8.3litres
-Number of dake pilots/controllers: 4 persons excluding mission commander
-Space Collection: Will collect dust molecules from space neighborhood for lab analysis in regard to ice age
-Ability: Can be controlled from anywhere in the world
-Re-Entry cooling systems, manual and remotely deployed.
-Anti float in mice chamber -Anti float method: magnetism
-Each command you send to the Cadimella, it talks back to you, it can talk ladies and gentlemen, it can talk back to you as its in space.

That last line is awesome. Here are some more photos:

GO TEAM!!! Well ATS, what are the odds of a successful mission?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Love the box fan. That will keep it cool - in space. Or maybe it's a thruster?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
You can only applaud these kind of actions. If you see what they are doing with their limited capabilities and see what NASA is doing with all it gets from donations and taxes.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Love the box fan. That will keep it cool - in space. Or maybe it's a thruster?

Yeah -- I'm sorry, but what exactly is that fan for?
Plus the article says has anti-missile defense and re-entry ability? Really?

I would like to see some real specifications on this thing.

edit on 2/18/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I think it is made from parts of an 80's Toyota Corolla.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
it doubles as a hickory wood smoker

I applaud them for wanting to get involved in space exploration but, honestly, that thing ain't gonna fly

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Uganda must be doing very well economically to be able to waste time and money on something like this.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Here are the only other details I could find at this time:

ASRP - Cadimella Space Observer

At ASRP, we have constructed a space observer scheduled to launch for space from Kololo this coming fifth year independence. This space observer will go as far as 350000ft above sea level, at this altitude the curvature of the earth, our planet will be clearly visible.
(a). On board this craft, we will have a rat, At ASRP if we can keep a rat alive in space, it means we can keep a person alive in space.
(b). It will record videos from Kololo ground level to space then space back to land
(c). It will collect dust micro molecules from space to best teach us about ice age, Global warming, etc..
(d). fifty years back, the Ugandan Flag was raised at Kololo on a pole about 12ft high, on our fifth year anniversary, we are sending the Ugandan flag about 350000ft into space, Cadimella craft will have a Ugandan flag engraved on its outside
(e). upon stalling back to earth, we will control this craft via gps, all this has been made intact; our skilled group of technicians have gotten satellite technology into the craft ready to lock and roll.
(f). it is carrying 11.2 liters of air pressurization at 172 PSI turning over 186PSI while craft in space (g). The craft its self will become satellite its self momentarily prior to stalling back to earth (h). Parachute deployment will be at 45000ft while stalling back to earth
(g). Cadimella can land and take sail at sea afloat Above is what we can disclose to the public about this space observer Cadimella master control chipset has been programmed with over 57 commands. Gps control by ground crew is fully functional; everything is standby however we’re only missing a vacuum proof camera.

All well wishers may help us fundraise it by next Tuesday 25th Sep 2012 to have orders in ready by Independence. All well wishers please call +256-77-517-1881 This project will be launched from Kololo on Independence Day, well wishers names will be mentioned in our 5min address. Uganda ekoze akazungilizi, special thanks to our ASRP technicians, they have done a hell of a job having that craft ready, special thanks to well wishers who have thrown in a token to make this happen This craft hasn’t yet been painted, and wired, we have shown you pictures at this stage because after paint work and final touchups; many may doubt if ASRP really made this space observer. We are bringing evidence to your attention head time, but please do help with the camera Minor touchups in regard to smoothening are still in progress prior to painting a special heat resistant paint.

From item (e) above, I can't wait until it's ready to lock and roll.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTheFlesh1980

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Here are the only other details I could find at this time:

ASRP - Cadimella Space Observer

Use of our recycled 1990's computers. Cooling fan thruster?

It is pretty neat that they are doing it, but I'm sure any state university in the states could do this better.

On a side note it's awesome they are keeping the mous/rat from floating using magnets. Prob put a little metal band on it and have a magnetic floor.
edit on 2/18/13 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

Respects them for reaching for the STARZ
What could of been used in the past before they were invented again... Mankind advancing in stages, don't know how high it will reach but still
for putting forth effort..

LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA*******

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
There should be a guy in the background shouting "Shut up and take my money!"

new topics

top topics

join