It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T.V. proved to cause aggressive behavior and much higher arrest rates for exposed children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

Young adults who spent more time in front of a TV during their childhood are significantly more likely to be arrested and exhibit aggressive behavior, a new study found. Researchers followed more than 1,000 young people in New Zealand from birth to age 26 and monitored the amount of television they watched during the ages of 5 and 15. In addition to monitoring television habits, the researchers also monitored criminal convictions, diagnoses of antisocial personality disorder, and personality traits of the individuals.

This story has both angered me and given me proof. The study shows that kids stuck in front of the boob tube will show significant anti social behavior later on.
Shock me.
What ticks me off is how the story goes on to defend television if its used properly.

Properly? Come on, Shut the crap off and spend time with your kids. What do you think a steady diet of violence and sex is going to do to your kids. What do you think neglecting them to the Boob Tube is going to do to them emotionally.

You think the national G channel will fix that!

I could rant for a page, but I think I'll give everyone else a chance.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

It's the parents faults. But the parents won't take blame. Like the Gov't doesn't take any blame. So in reality our parents were brainwashed by their parents and so on who was brainwashed by the Gov't. Now the parents want to point blame and not go play catch or have a tea party with there own children? So who's it up to fix this??? Oh that's right your brainwashed children who you don't listen to in the first place. Bravo Parent's. Bravo.

What do you expect when you leave a TV to raise your child instead of raising that child yourself?

How was that?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Collectively, Americans spend roughly 9 billion hours a week watching television while shows like Jackass carve out our our new norms and morals for us. It's hard to believe... 9 billion hours a week, can you imagine if all that time had been spent with children and family instead? Just to give you an idea, the Panama Canal was completed with about 20 million man hours, if my math is right, Americans could dig 450 Panama canals a week with that kind of time.
We decided years ago to stop watching the tube, for the first couple of weeks it was like someone had died in the family but gradually we got over it and never looked back.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Why are the commercials so much louder than the tv shows?

They are effecting peoples brains. There's a reason they want kids getting violent and doing stupid things.

Generates revenue for Government and creates a need for prisons and justifies more cops.

Anybody monitoring the broadcasts for frequencies the human ear doesn't notice??...but the subliminal mind does.

link   
They should have monitored what programming the kids were watching as well. What used to be the norm on television were shows like Andy Griffith, The Waltons, Lassie - all shows that incorporated morals in to the story. Shows that focused on family and human relations. What's out there today? Mostly violence punctuated with sexual interludes and car crashes. Problems are resolved with violence (or torture if you're Kieffer Sutherland), never by negotiation of finding compromise. Our obsession with sports is hardly better where winning is the only thing.

I watched an old episode of Crossfire from the 1980's recently with Frank Zappa as guest where they were debating censorship of rock music (some might remember the PMRC, the Parents Music Resource Center with Tipper Gore - yes, Al's wife). I had to laugh at the things they found morally objectionable at the time; music and videos by bands like Prince/Motley Crue/Twisted Sister. How things have changed since!

So, no this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Odds are these same kids who watch more television spend less time with parents/adult role models. TV bears some of the blame but far from all of it.

link   
Double post
edit on 18-2-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
TV = Sitting, watching and absorbing.

Now, for the companies that invest in creating the content for the TV to show, what do they likely want as a return on their investment?

Probably what their major share holders want.

Monopoly over various markets.

That means attempting to influence the viewers to achieve said monopoly.

Who are the viewers? If you put your kids in front of the TV, it's them.

Are there any channels that are not subject to the above logic?

I don't think so.

join