It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are drones watching you now?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Here's my thoughts and a few pics and details about some military and police drones and the dynamic nature of drone technology.

It seems drone technology is being invested in and used increasingly as most people already know. Like most I first heard of drones solely as being used as surveillance some years ago in Afghanistan and the mountainous tribal regions of Pakistan where tribal warlords and extremism were operating quite freely with the occasional Hellfire being launched on a target now and again. At least reported publicly.

My how that has changed, I'm not sure anybody could've envisaged how fast this technology would be developed let alone start being deployed by local police forces, so far as I'm aware mainly in the US at this point but the growing aggressive drone tactics used during Obama's tenure could be a sign of things to come as he's personally approved more drone strikes than his predecessor George W. Bush.

We've also heard of the so called "kill lists" drawn up by the CIA overseen by John Brennan and the implications of US citizens being targeted after the killing in Yemen of Anwar al-Awlaki and his 16 year old son. Killing of muslim cleric and US citizen Anwar al-Awlaki

There are estimates as high as 98% of drone strike casualties being civilians

See this disturbing report. 50 civilians are killed for every 1 terrorist

Push to expand the "Kill List"

Now without going into the legal implications of extrajudicial assassination tactics so favored by the US and Israel, the fact remains the nobody is immune from the prying eyes of these things if deemed a threat and I see their presence as somewhat invasive regardless of the fact that I'm not a terrorist or engaged in illegal activities.

Secret bases in Saudi Arabia are now coming into the public spectrum, and the US is now increasing the scope of its drone assassination program to Africa.
Secret US drone bases

Let me be clear on one thing, I have no problem with terrorists or murderers or people of extreme public safety risk being targeted by these things. What I do have a problem with is it seems that such threats are being used as a reason to introduce these things "invasively" into the public with little to no oversight from judicial apparatuses.

The legal and moral ramifications and implications are very concerning and it seems, at least from the American President's perspective and that of US State and Federal Law Enforcement agencies that drones are just another surveillance tool and privacy is of little concern. If you're not doing anything wrong than don't worry about it kind of attitude.

Who's to judge if these agencies are conducting illegal activities, Senate Oversight Committee, The US Supreme Court?.

Never mind extrajudicial assassinations, whom in many cases kill innocents but how about illegal surveillance and what have you. It used to be that wire tapping and physical surveillance needed approval from a judge who needed to assess the merit of the surveillance in question, immediate threat to the public, evidence etc. I think drones should be no different but the "grey area" in drone surveillance and use for murder/assassination are huge.

Some pics and links below...

This photo is a Black Hornet Nano drone manufactured by a Norweigan company and currently widely deployed by British troops abroad. Black Hornet Nano Drone
More info on Black Hornet UAV
______________________________________________________________________________________

The Wasp Micro UAV. Wasp Micro UAV deployed by Texas SWAT

______________________________________________________________________________________

Swarms of cyber insect drones

How a Predator done works
The Predator's are becoming outdated but the firepower is unmatched

_______________________________________________________________________________________

The SkySeer UAV. SkySeer UAV

RT did a good story on micro drones that you can see here. US Military Surveillance Drones

The rate at which drone technology advances never ceases to amaze me I just think the potential for abuse is ever so present, the day I see these things being used in my homeland of Australia is the day I will be truly concerned but it seems right now the proving ground and major proponent of Drone technology is the United States of America.

I also think that if Iran downed a US drone breaching their airspace, then Kudos to them. Vid and wiki link below

Iran-U.S RQ-170 Incident

Here's a link to a company specializing in Drone technology. Interesting read. MicroDrones

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Oh, just because I'm a good news bad news kind of guy and do enjoy a giggle and I'm not all doom and gloom.
Here's a video from the Tube from FPS Russia of a Quadrotor Drone affectionately called "Charlene"

I've heard the the vid is fake but its entertaining to me nonetheless.

I guess the main thing I'd like to discuss with some of you guys is what kind of oversight can be implemented on those who use this technology?

Has Pandora's box proverbially been opened with this technology and has every Tom Dick and Harry (ie the public) with some blueprints and know how now able to use this technology themselves? A concerning issue I believe...
edit on 14-2-2013 by yoursteppingonmytoes because: typo

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Nova had a good episode on a few weeks ago called Rise Of The Drones, you can watch here:

www.pbs.org...

The first part of it is just a history of how drones came about being developed and used, towards the end is the best part where it shows the current drones and some of the drone technology and prototypes that they are developing now.
The stuff they are showing is unclassified, but it`s still pretty amazing,I can only imagine some of the amazing classified stuff they have already.
apparently the ultimate goal is to make drones that can think for themselves and make decisions on their own without any human input.
edit on 14-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
They have been using Drones over our National Forests for 5 years I know of.

I remember Shasta Co. getting a 4 million dollar grant to catch Cartel growers.

I also heard they use high resolution to catch people lighting Forest Fires.

The Drones are here to stay...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Yes. We are watching you right now.

But we mean no harm.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I don't care. I've nothing to hide

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012

Denial is the first offence.
You have been marked for further observation.
edit on 14-2-2013 by manmental because: offence

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I think drones of all sorts should be strictly outlawed universally. Satellites are evasive enough, let alone drones with high res, infrared, night vision and heat cameras packing heat with missiles. Surely the number of innocent people killed overseas should be evidence enough to outlaw these dastardly things?!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Jees I've said it once and ill say it again .. You lot in the states are so paranoid now. The argument I put up is if you live in a city of say 750,000 people one drone cannot observe everyone. Hell even 100 drones couldn't watch everyone. It's like me in my job I can operate up to 160 CCTV cameras but when I'm watching someone one one camera the other 159 are pretty much pointless until I select to use them. And also if I'm watching one person the other 200 or so in my area I am NOT watching as I am focused on this one person.

The same principle for drones, if a drone is above a city it could be watching say someone in the north area of the city so therefore people in the south are not being watched. Just because you see it in the sky it does mean EVERYONE is being watched. But right now here in the UK it's 11:36 at night, it's dark and my curtains are closed no drone is watching me. During the day I'm at work in a building so good luck watching me then. Oh and if a drone was watching me now I wish it would shoot a laser at the girl friend as she is snoring her head off hah

My point is some of you need mellow out, get outside and enjoy life. Your all going to be enclosed in a cage of you own paranoia. So what if they watch you, if you've done nothing wrong show em the finger and get on with life.

By the way this reply is in no way meant to be horrible or rude

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker
Jees I've said it once and ill say it again .. You lot in the states are so paranoid now. The argument I put up is if you live in a city of say 750,000 people one drone cannot observe everyone. Hell even 100 drones couldn't watch everyone. It's like me in my job I can operate up to 160 CCTV cameras but when I'm watching someone one one camera the other 159 are pretty much pointless until I select to use them. And also if I'm watching one person the other 200 or so in my area I am NOT watching as I am focused on this one person.

The same principle for drones, if a drone is above a city it could be watching say someone in the north area of the city so therefore people in the south are not being watched. Just because you see it in the sky it does mean EVERYONE is being watched. But right now here in the UK it's 11:36 at night, it's dark and my curtains are closed no drone is watching me. During the day I'm at work in a building so good luck watching me then. Oh and if a drone was watching me now I wish it would shoot a laser at the girl friend as she is snoring her head off hah

My point is some of you need mellow out, get outside and enjoy life. Your all going to be enclosed in a cage of you own paranoia. So what if they watch you, if you've done nothing wrong show em the finger and get on with life.

By the way this reply is in no way meant to be horrible or rude

That's ok because I'm not in the states which you clearly didn't read. BTW I don't mean to be horrible or rude.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by manmental

Originally posted by manmental

Originally posted by pacifier2012

Denial is the first offence.
You have been marked for further observation.
edit on 14-2-2013 by manmental because: offence

Hahaha, thanks for the giggle, and the links to the tube vids. Very cool. But ahhhh attack of the drones!
It would be so easy to do, people barely notice them!!

reply to post by pacifier2012

Go on your merry way then. Likewise, I don't care what you think.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by yoursteppingonmytoes

Um ok you got me there and my apologies
it's late a night and recently all these drone nonsense is starting to get to me. It's simple drones cannot watch everyone and no they arnt going to be blasting people with hellfire rockets (let's go with the story of usin drones in the US for that comment) .. I'm just so Aaaaargh ! Maybe I need sleep. I just get the impression when someone sees a drone they assume it has thousands of cameras on it to keep an eye on everyone.

At the end of the day if a drone wants to watch me let em.. If the operator likes to watch grown men scratching their behind then they can watch me any day

Oh and the local police in my area (the UK) have had their drone scrapped because of lack of funding. But then again they weren't using global hawks more like a toy helicopter with a dodgy camera.

Off topic: yoursteppingonmytoes that first pic you posted of the grim reaper and drone was pretty awesome did you create it yourself ?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I never saw the big deal over drones.

Firstly people are assuming that they are using the Predator, or Global Hawk. IF they are, I see no reason now that since they have drones that it turns into an epidemic and fear, they could have done it with a U2 or any other ISR aircraft before so I don't understand it. They both need a human controlling it.

Secondly, You can buy your own if you like online for like 500 dollars. It's not like its an exclusive tech.
edit on 14-2-2013 by Laxpla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Cheers! glad you enjoyed the links... I've been intrigued by drone technology since i first heard about it a few years back.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

edit on 14-2-2013 by yoursteppingonmytoes because: (no reason given)

reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

all these drone nonsense is starting to get to me

I get what you're saying, hence why I had my little thread and 2 cents to put in. I could've had a rant but they're usually accepted with hostility and nonchalance on ATS...

Off topic: yoursteppingonmytoes that first pic you posted of the grim reaper and drone was pretty awesome did you create it yourself ?

Unfortunately no I didn't, I'm not that creative
Glad you like it though.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Laxpla

RC Quadcopters with a camera and FPV viewing can come in at about $1000 for a decent kit I imagine but this isn't anything near 'drone' tech as we know it.
Military drones are more like aircraft.... way out of our league and way more scary....
Civilian drones can't do much apart from film some cool stuff.
They can't hold weapons which kill people.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I only assumed as alot of the drone talk is coming from state side, I accepted I made a mistake and I apologised there's no need to be so abrupt.

Your more than welcome to talk about your view on them I didn't say you couldn't. But I get a little frustrated when a drone thread crops up saying oooh noes we are all being spied.

I'm sorry I offended you by giving my opinion on the matter. I shall leave you in peace as I've got to be up in 4 and half hours to do my job using CCTV to spy on people, oh no I'm a drone hybrid! Sorry that was a joke. I'm also editing due to your edit of your reply. Honestly mate I dont come to ATS to argue with its users I appreciate everyone's opinions on whatever subject they wish to choose to talk about we are all free to think however we like

Right bed time if the mrs stops her snoring
edit on 14-2-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added text

edit on 14-2-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by manmental
reply to post by Laxpla

They can't hold weapons which kill people.

I'm glad about that at least. As soon civs can start making they're own drones who's to stop the next mass murder using a drone instead of a Bushmaster AR-15? Paranoia maybe, but still a legitimate concern this tech can be exploited by many parties

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BlindBastards

I half agree half disagree. They are a brilliant tool for targeting those who "deserve" it.

But it seems there will never be a forum which all parties agree is legal on which to judge those who deserve the wrath of these machines.

I wouldn't have a problem with them being outlawed though, however as someone already said they are here to stay.
I hope some sort of regulation or something can be implemented because this technology knows no bounds.

edit on 14-2-2013 by yoursteppingonmytoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Agreed.... but just to clarify,... a top professional shop bought quadcopter can hold up to 10kg i think... so it could carry a weapon... BUT it couldn't carry a weapon AND an aiming gimble and camera and everything necessary to make into a lethal weapon... I think. Maybe it could.
In fact I'm sure it won't be long before we see an amateur Youtube RC Quadcopter with remote gun FPV....

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

I'm sorry I offended you by giving my opinion on the matter. I shall leave you in peace as I've got to be up in 4 and half hours to do my job using CCTV to spy on people, oh no I'm a drone hybrid! Sorry that was a joke. I'm also editing due to your edit of your reply. Honestly mate I dont come to ATS to argue with its users I appreciate everyone's opinions on whatever subject they wish to choose to talk about we are all free to think however we like

Hehe all good, sorry to sound abrupt or curt, it seems that's what prevails around these parts. Kind folk such as yourself are few and far between, but then again I am still new

Cheers for the input though

top topics

<<   2 >>

join