It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a $9 Minimum Wage Reduce Illegal Immigration?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Most min wage jobs are in the service industry. You have to remember though, most of those companies have a very small profit margin and simply can't afford a large increase in wages.

Because of the small margins any increase in wages will be passed down to the consumer, reducing what little traffic they already have coming into their stores because of prices and the economic conditions we live in at the moment.
edit on 14-2-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

Exactly, and price increases will outpace wage increases in many case. Most people don't see the cause and effect.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Actually raising minimum wage does accomplish one little detail...it increases the revenue gained by taxes on wages. The rates brackets do not change nor adjust for inflation. Hence everyone was for the tax on those rich people that made more than $5000/yr back in the 1930's never once considering that a minimum wage would bee created to put more workers on the tax rolls.

It also decreases tax revenue from companies who are paying those wages.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

I've never considered how or to what extent the drug cartels contribute to immigration. It's a very interesting thesis.

Thanks for posting that.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Kovenov

Well man, if your local dealer a few doors down from you, instead of maybe hiding a pistol or two under his bead and waking you up sometimes with loud cars coming and going at weird times of night he actualy had a tank or a few armored personnel carriers, employed hundreds of gunmen and controlled local law enforcement and was good friends with your Mayor and sometimes, but not always assumed control of military satelites and military grade hardware all for eliminating his fellow competitors right in the middle of the town you lived.

Wouldnt you want to leave too?

Its sad too, as the media that manipulates the population will never go in to much of an in depth analysis of it, which really does the people affected by it a great disservice, as they are finding themselves not in a country they believed to be built on immigration and freedom of opportunity but in a country where large portions of the population are openly hostile to them on account of something to do with jobs and little understanding of why they have effectively fled there homeland.
edit on 14-2-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The minimum wage is about $290 a week in the US? Wow. How the hell could anyone live on that pittance?! Here the minimum wage is $15.96 per hour, or $606.40 a week. How anyone can live a remotely comfortable life on this is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Minimum wage is not meant to be lived on. It is called MINIMUM for a reason, it is minimal pay for a minimal job. If you are stuck in a minimum wage job you have nobody to blame but yourself period. There are jobs that do not deserve to be paid a higher wage and for good reason. I don't understand why some people can't wrap their heads around that fact. Nobody is forcing these people to work these jobs, they are doing it on their own free will.

My god it would be great if we could all live in mansions and drive ferraris, but the fact is we don't and we can't. We may all be humans, but some of us are just more motivated and have a better understanding of things than others, and some just don't even want to try.

edit on 2/14/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Kovenov

Would not work at all, would drive up the price of goods produced making the 9 dollars earned purchase less so you would be back to square one.
Not to mention in California most of the low end jobs that are not grabbed by illegals are taken by "minorities". I can't wait until my race is "discriminated against". Then i would get all kinds of crap.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
Minimum wage is not meant to be lived on. It is called MINIMUM for a reason, it is minimal pay for a minimal job. If you are stuck in a minimum wage job you have nobody to blame but yourself period. There are jobs that do not deserve to be paid a higher wage and for good reason. I don't understand why some people can't wrap their heads around that fact. Nobody is forcing these people to work these jobs, they are doing it on their own free will.

Im sorry i have to disagree. The very reason minimum wage was created was to reduce poverty, it was supposed to be a wage you can live off of. Today you can't make a living off of minimum wage and since you can't really scrape by there is no way to advance. That is to say if you are working minimum wage you can't save up and take some courses at the community college.
The entire system enforces poverty and today young people don't stand a chance. Yes you can excell in school and get a scholarship provided that by miracle of god you happen to make the cut. Today those are decided not only on grades but by geographic, race and income factors too. So you can have a GPA of 5.0 but if you are white and in a struggling middle class family you will probably not get it because minorities from all around the country get it first.
The idea of work hard and get what you deserve is a stupid mantra that people tell themselves to feel better. This next generation is so screwed and they don't even know it yet. The truth is to get ahead you need to fail so hard that you qualify for free stuff so you can THEN get ahead.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

And its thanks to people like you and this type of mind numbing rhetoric that we find ourselves in this type of society that makes now virtualy no allowance for someone unlucky enough to be dealt a bad hand in life.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kovenov

Hell Ya,

Thank you for being smart. S&F

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kovenov

It didn't in oregon!

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I agree with this increase.

We need this to help increase the living conditions of the working poor.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
No. If they come here now for 7.00 an hour, do you expect them to leave for 2 dollars more? All this will do is help cut into the middle class, and cause more inflation.

If it cost more to make, do, ship, package, and warehouse , wh do you think will pay for it. Meanwhile the middle class doesn't get any more. You get the double hit of devalued labor rate and increased inflation.

Stupid idea.

reluctantpawn

I wonder what the answer is then. Should we just get rid of min wage, or maybe just lower it?

Plenty of people work min wage jobs for the federal benefits of being poor. I wonder what their tone would be if that gas station job paid $4/hr?

You know what, you guys are right, I say get rid of minimum wage. Get paid what your worth. If your worth more, find a new job. Maybe that will fuel some people to better themselves.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
That's a ridiculous notion.

What will reduce illegal immigration is to fine the crap out of companies that are found to be employing illegals. I would even go so far as to say that any business found doing so for a third time without having the proper paperwork to show that they made due diligence to comply with the law should lose their business license.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bri6844

It's also going to make prices rise, so it's not really doing a damn thing but adding to inflation of the dollar. We as American's need to do things to advance ourselves not the CEO's we all in some way work for, then who cares what they do with minimum wage. Serfs Unite.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

We could just not make it illegal for people to enter this country without passports blahblah that's the only real way to get rid of illegal immigration. We built a big fence theres natural barriers all around and people still get in, if someone wants it bad enough it will happen regardless of what changes are made. minimum wage won't change a thing expect ensure that these illegals are paid more for writing in false SS numbers and using fake names.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
saying that raising the minimum wage would kill small business is crazy since most small businesses have a starting salary of $10 an hour (because the owners know you cant live on $8 an hour). a majority of the people that would be effected by this work in places like wallmart and mcdonalds who can obviously afford to pay more.

Minimum wage in NYC is like 8.25 an hour. just about every "small buisness" that ive worked at has a base salary of atleast $9 an hour and that increases after 6 months on the job.

mcdonalds and other big chains however will keep you at the lowest salary possible because they know that if you complain and leave theres 10 more people to take your place.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

My god it would be great if we could all live in mansions and drive ferraris, but the fact is we don't and we can't. We may all be humans, but some of us are just more motivated and have a better understanding of things than others, and some just don't even want to try.

edit on 2/14/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

except in many cases its not the peoples faults but the governments (local and federal). The real problem is the fact that when you are stuck in a minimum wage job there is almost no way to get out of it. they cant go to school to get a better education because the costs are so high and many wouldnt even have the time for school seeing as how they work 12 hours a day to be able to survive. You're never going to be able to get out of poverty if your only able to put $50 a month into your savings account.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MastaShake
except in many cases its not the peoples faults but the governments (local and federal). The real problem is the fact that when you are stuck in a minimum wage job there is almost no way to get out of it. they cant go to school to get a better education because the costs are so high and many wouldnt even have the time for school seeing as how they work 12 hours a day to be able to survive.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Apart from this bit.

You're never going to be able to get out of poverty if your only able to put $50 a month into your savings account.

Most would love to be able to put 50c into savings let alone $50.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kovenov
reply to post by Tuttle

Minimum wage employees do take payroll deductions, yes. What a min. wage employee might be refunded after filing his or her tax return is variable. That, I don't know off the top of my head.

The Social Security part deducted is already spent so you won't see that back.

But, someone earning minimum wage can get several hundred percent of what they paid in refunded, so it's not really a refund at all. A person could even have nothing at all taken out and get a significant "refund".

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join