It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French archaeologist found dead in Cairo apartment, foul play suspected...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I came across this story and wondered how many archaeologists are murdered, and what an odd way to kill someone....he was smothered. I always equate that to silencing someone for some reason, and not just because it is literally silencing them.

Could he have found something in his digs in Egypt that was worth killing him for?

F rench archaeologist found dead in Cairo apartment, foul play suspected

I believe he was currently working here:

Kharga Oasis

More info on the site dig...

Kharga Dig

edit on 2/12/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Oh please. You are acting like a dramatic teenager on a herbal high.... or your just a regular serious ATS member who looks under the bed at night... just in case!

+13 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
Oh please. You are acting like a dramatic teenager on a herbal high.... or your just a regular serious ATS member who looks under the bed at night... just in case!

Thanks for contributing....douche.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Is douche against the T/C's
I would have said Richard Cranium.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty

Is douche against the T/C's
I would have said Richard Cranium.

Probably.....but it was the best fitting word I could think of at the time....

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It seems he heavily studied irrigation and water collection for ancient sites. This particular area appears to have been a settlement area for numerous cultures throughout the years and holds a vast amount of knowledge. Could he possibly have found something that was worth killing over? Nothing like a game changer or world ender, but something either others wanted for themselves or did not want to come out for some reason? Is anyone here familiar with this area and is there any major significance to it in history?

PDF on the dig

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Could be anything; even one artifact could be conceived of as being worth enough money to kill for. Archeological sites can be worth far more than a gold stake.

Why is smothering such an odd way to kill someone? Guns are noisy, knives are messy. Seems nice and quiet if you want to exit the scene without creating any suspicion.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
If you want to silence someone you dont do it in a way that causes people to wonder why he was killed..

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
Could be anything; even one artifact could be conceived of as being worth enough money to kill for. Archeological sites can be worth far more than a gold stake.

Why is smothering such an odd way to kill someone? Guns are noisy, knives are messy. Seems nice and quiet if you want to exit the scene without creating any suspicion.

Yeah....you just never really hear of someone being smothered that often. It takes a while and they would flail around a lot I would imagine, unless tied down or held down in some way. And say the device used to smother was knocked away or off his mouth then he would be able to scream and make a lot of noise. Just strikes me as odd was all.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

So no break in, two young men in his flat and suffocated. Hmmmmm (puts on detective hat)

Maybe the men were invited in , possibly he was gay. Something went wrong (auto-erotic asfixiation?) and he ended up dead, they thought they may as well take his laptop. Smothering would suggest they didn't go there prepared with a weapon or with intent, also not taking his money could mean they hadn't planned it.

edit on 12-2-2013 by DrHammondStoat because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2013 by DrHammondStoat because: Very unfortunate spelling error considering the subject matter!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat

So no break in, two young men in his flat and suffocated. Hmmmmm (puts on detective hat)

Maybe the men were invited in , possibly he was gay. Something went wrong (auto-erotic asfixiation?) and he ended up dead, they thought they may as well take his laptop. Smothering would suggest they didn't go there prepared with a weapon or with intent, also not taking his money could mean they hadn't planned it.

edit on 12-2-2013 by DrHammondStoat because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2013 by DrHammondStoat because: Very unfortunate spelling error considering the subject matter!

Maybe your thoughts have some validity. If he had done something shady and used his phone and computer to contact whomever killed him then that would be a good reason to take those things. Of course it will only work for the immediate until the police get the records of calls from his phone.

Not sure...I just feel like there is more to this story. You know how sometimes you just have a sense about something. This story piqued my interest in that manner for some reason. Not really sure why as I don't follow archaeology at all....

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Great find and thank you for sharing! I took a quick look at the PDF file you posted - he was defintely on to something. I did not even read every word - just a skim read and will return to it later when I can spend time really engaging in the records.

My first thoughts are to do with the desert area not having to be a desert and that water and irrigation systems might well still be a viable manner to irrigate the 'now' desert. As an archeaologist he is required to study what he finds and put together likely theories. I would say he stumbled on some truths that the cabal/illuminati/whatever did not want public.

As a moot note - a high percentage of murders occur between people who are known to one another - there is almost always a connection. The percentage rate is very high in the nineties. So - things that make you go hmmmm...

Much Peace...
edit on 12-2-2013 by Amanda5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5

Great find and thank you for sharing! I took a quick look at the PDF file you posted - he was defintely on to something. I did not even read every word - just a skim read and will return to it later when I can spend time really engaging in the records.

My first thoughts are to do with the desert area not having to be a desert and that water and irrigation systems might well still be a viable manner to irrigate the 'now' desert. As an archeaologist he is required to study what he finds and put together likely theories. I would say he stumbled on some truths that the cabal/illuminati/whatever did not want public.

As a moot note - a high percentage of murders occur between people who are known to one another - there is almost always a connection. The percentage rate is very high in the nineties. So - things that make you go hmmmm...

Much Peace...
edit on 12-2-2013 by Amanda5 because: (no reason given)

My thought was that he did know whomever the two were that visited him from what they say in the story. Possibly someone else involved in the digs there.

Could be as simple as they wanted something he had found or just an argument. I still can't get over the feeling of how strange the story is. There are two people with him no signs of breaking in, yet he is smothered and his phone and laptop are missing? It sounds like the murder was planned but the instrument used was out of convenience.

If I put myself in the mindset of smothering someone I would think I would want to either catch them by surprise and tie them up and do it, or have my partner hold them still while I did. I would imagine, as I said before, that smothering would have quite a bit of uncertainty and flailing going on during the actual event.

Just all sounds strange to me....again....just have an odd "feeling" about the story for some reason.
edit on 2/12/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Maybe he found another one of those mysterious water tombs.

Remember a few years back somewhere in Egypt they found the first one.

It was a sarchophagus with a canopy and a moat and under the water there were steps visible. The sarcophagus couldn't be opened because it was some kind of water trap like Oak Island.

They were going to drain the water but that failed because the tomb just refilled.

After that it was never mentioned again.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Of all the news I read on ATS this one is so different for me. While at uni, I went to F. Dunand's classes on comparative religion studies. And she is the one that's been leading the archeologist team there.

I am glad she's OK but it is a very sad news.
She is a very special person, one of a kind, and I can only imagine she would surround herself with people of such greatness.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Creep Thumper

It was the symbolic tomb of Osiris, and they did get the water pumped out long enough to see that the sarcophagus was empty, thus their reasoning for it being a symbolic tomb.
Google "tomb of Osiris" for plenty to read on the subject.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl
reply to post by Creep Thumper

It was the symbolic tomb of Osiris, and they did get the water pumped out long enough to see that the sarcophagus was empty, thus their reasoning for it being a symbolic tomb.
Google "tomb of Osiris" for plenty to read on the subject.

Hey, thanks for the info! I couldn't remember what they called it. I always appreciate something interesting to read.

I'm kind of curious about how the experts interpreted the design of the tomb. I keep wondering why water was used.
edit on 2/13/2013 by Creep Thumper because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Aww no way! I got this, I got this...

Intrepid archaeologist and ex-CIA hit man, Dirk Hardpec, seeks to clear his soul in the sands of Egypt from a past spent doing the dirty work of a government who turned its back on him. With the help of a beautiful UN biologist working to save endangered Nile River Carp Snakes, they soon discover not all is serene in the land of the Pharaohs. An astonishing discovery puts them on the run from powerful forces who would rather see them dead then let the world know what they have uncovered. As they will soon find out, some secrets are better left buried.

...either that or the dude got killed amidst a robbery by some two bit criminals looking to make a quick buck off a Westerner. Totally waaaaay more boring.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire

HOLY CRAP BAN PILLOWS NOW!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

It seems he heavily studied irrigation and water collection for ancient sites. This particular area appears to have been a settlement area for numerous cultures throughout the years and holds a vast amount of knowledge. Could he possibly have found something that was worth killing over? Nothing like a game changer or world ender, but something either others wanted for themselves or did not want to come out for some reason? Is anyone here familiar with this area and is there any major significance to it in history?

PDF on the dig

i have a feeling this is related.

Lybia was bombed because they were building an aquifer. So if thats what this guy found. It would be worth killing him over. Considering it was worth how much money in cruise missiles against *random* targets in Lybia?
maybe he stumbled upon Aquifer technology? which would be bad. Because that would end world hunger now wouldn't it?
edit on 15-2-2013 by CrypticSouthpaw because: (no reason given)

And you know what. The more i realize this. Why is that Oasis there? What the hell is an Oasis anyways? how can such a place exist? You know what. I'm almost positive he was thinking the same thing. Dug around. Went to the place and made a discover that maybe? just maybe? the ruins are being fed by an underground irrigation system known as an AQUIFER. which would IRRIGATE the desert for CENTURIES where ever these AQUIFERS are built. I believe the Lybian Aquifer was supposed to feed the world for 200 years. With vast Oasis's. Im acutally quite pissed. Because im a little bit into biology. And i would LOVE to know how fruits and vegetables would of reacted to such pure fossilized water getting that much sunlight with that much hot wind. We could of cultivated new species of plants! So im thinking this guy stumbled upon a system. That obviously is feeding that place for longer then 200 years. WHICH IS DEFENANTLY WORTH SILENCEING HIM OVER. just my theory.

And back to tom with the weather.
edit on 15-2-2013 by CrypticSouthpaw because: (no reason given)

join