It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient languages reconstructed by computer program

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560

Originally posted by hp1229

Originally posted by CJCrawley
It doesn't do anything that the experts haven't been doing since language reconstruction started in the 19th century. Just does it a lot quicker.
Experts cannot be trusted upto certain extent (atleast in the intelligence community
). Softwares are much more reliable (when programmed correctly) for translation services.
Wait..... who is doing the programing again? oh would that be the "experts". Me thinks so. ( Taken from old english meaning I think this is true) Big LOL
Yes if you consider the only surviving expert. However in our worlds, there are dime a dozen experts. Given that softwares are only as good as the programmer, generally they're cumulative and collective in nature. Also read the comments within the brackets
Programmers are generally not the experts. Linguists are the ones who generally provide the information that Programmers need
The software would do the work that even a linguist cannot do if you consider the vast database of vocabulary not to mention several different language comparisons

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by hisshadow
I'm gonna post a reply just because i'd be shocked if it could translate this one sentence into old english.
You can have some of the 'Old English' (Malt Liquor, Liqud Crack) in you
and it just might make you translate

edit on 14-2-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Nice site. Thanks. None of the profanities showed up in the old english (atleast the most common ones that I'm familiar with)
It was interesting to see lot of different output for the word 'sex' though

edit on 14-2-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Eh, you just didn't know what profanities they were using back then (they do have them) and what was obscene to them.
Check out Shakespearean insults or (closer still) taunting remarks in Beowulf (in the original.)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

hrm , then thats pretty cool , would be even more fun if we found a lang, on an off world location DROOL

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by karen61560

called the romance languages for a reason ^^ if you have any ties to europe what so ever , most of your words will lead back to them ^^

top topics

<< 1   >>

join