It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAA’s US drone authorization map highlights battle between feds and sky pirates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

hi all
sry if this has been posted, if it has please disregard

This is a map of where the DHS has sent military-quality drones to different law enforcement agencies across the country.. Theres gonna be drones everywhere,its getting out of control

www.extremetech.com...

In response to the Electronic Frontier Foundation’s filing of a Freedom of Information Act request last October, the FAA has finally released its new drone authorization list. The foundation has been particularly keen to learn the circumstances under which the Department of Homeland Security provides drones to different law enforcement agencies across the country. With drone technology proliferating much faster than the ability to track it, it is fair to say that current methods of enacting and enforcing regulatory policy can not possibly keep up. Drones are the first among many new technologies that, with a single broad stroke, can create a microcosm of conflicting new governance. Any equitable oversight should only seek to mandate adherence to principle, rather than to detail as traditionally enforced by a narrow-minded and prosecutorial zealot

The original list is here
www.eff.org...

The realization that propellers are not the most efficient way to apply power to the air, particularly at the low speed regime, has led to new drone designs that more closely mimic birds. The autonomous flying vehicle in the video below is not computer generated; it’s a video of the Smartbird, made by Festo

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I don't know how feasible it would be, but there could be grounds to give them a big headache when it comes to drones. Seeing as how most of these drones fly fairly low (at least as compared to commercial aircraft) there have been legal cases found in favor of the plaintiffs when invasion of privately owned airspace interferes with the property owners use or enjoyment of his/her property.

A landowner is entitled to compensation, if the interference caused by the flights is sufficiently direct, sufficiently peculiar, and of sufficient magnitude, to support a conclusion that a taking has occurred[xv].

Link

Most people do not realize that they own the airspace above their privately owned property. It could be possible if enough landowners filed suit due to low flying drones trespassing in their airspace (or started a class action lawsuit) and drew enough public attention to it, it could have some effect. Cases have been won against commercial as well as other flights for such. Here are just a few of the long list of examples cited at the link I posted:

Drennen v. County of Ventura, 38 Cal. App. 3d 84 (Cal. App. 2d Dist. 1974).

[ii] Lacey v. United States, 219 Ct. Cl. 551 (Ct. Cl. 1979).

[iii] Powell v. United States, 1 Cl. Ct. 669 (Cl. Ct. 1983).

[iv] Hero Lands Co. v. United States, 1 Cl. Ct. 102 (Cl. Ct. 1983).

[v] Newark v. Eastern Airlines, Inc., 159 F. Supp. 750 (D.N.J. 1958).

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Not saying that you're statements aren't true but there are other things I'm wondering about.
is it true that if it flies, the FFA is involved?

i'm asking because after looking at you link showing where they're deployed at, I looked at my home state of New Mexico. It shows two sites. The first being the mineral and mining industry. To validate this, is that we have a rather large area with a very massive potential of NG and oil in south central N, problem being is there are these little gecko lizard things numbering like in the low hundreds, maybe high ten's that are occuping roughly 120 square miles of this land and the bunny-huggers don't want any of these 'baby reptoids' ran over doing exploratory drilling to see the resource potential.
The second is the University of NM at Alamogordo. UNM has a large geology dept so the usage would again be the same as above. Also Holloman AFB is adjacent to Alamogordo. This is where the first UAV, The Predetor, was developed in the early 70's.

So i would have to admit that these drones were and are intended for legitimate reasons, not saying that they can't be used for other but then again you never know if that little $30.00 RC helicopter flying around at the park really belongs to that little kid or is that just what 'they' want you to think?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Nothing over Chicago i guess there affraid it will get shot down like many of the gang bangers that hide there

new topics

top topics

join