It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Quote Within Quote?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Here is an example of what I'm trying to learn how to do: Link

I know that there are how-to threads that are related but I haven't been able to locate my answer. I've tried googling and that hasn't helped. I've tried hitting the "Quote" button on the post I linked to and observing the code, but that hasn't helped.

What is the secret to having the nested quotes populate? What BBCode in what order must I type?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

just use extra quote tags. For example, this:

Part of post number one

Part of post number two

Continuation of part one

Looks like this:

[ quote ] Part of post number one
[ quote ]Part of post number two[ /quote ]
Continuation of part one[ /quote ]

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Looks like a quote of a post that already has a quote from another post in it.

If you go to the example you have given and hit the "quote" button yourself, you will see the format of how it is written for yourself in the "your reply/comments" window.

When you have written a response, check it with "preview" before you reply to verify it will be posted correctly.

Basically, a quote starts with

and ends with
. A quote within a quote has the same 2 sets of quote texts and repeated within it for what the quote is quoting.

Confusing I know but I hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

If I were to hit the "Quote" button for your post, there will be BBCode pre-populated. Do I have to revise the pre-populated code?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

If you hit quote from a post it will copy the post with all of their quotes intact (Thats what has happened with the post you linked to)

Doing this too many times though makes the posts almost impossible to read as every successive quote reduced the text size. So sometimes quoting a quote of a quote that someone else has quoted isnt a great idea

Also quotes of more then one level dont show up when you preview a post but do in the actual post

Smaller

Smaller

Smaller

Small

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Also quotes of more then one level dont show up when you preview a post but do in the actual post

They don't???

Oh my God. I guess that's what is wrong.

Now, I need to do a test.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

If you hit quote from a post it will copy the post with all of their quotes intact (Thats what has happened with the post you linked to)

Doing this too many times though makes the posts almost impossible to read as every successive quote reduced the text size. So sometimes quoting a quote of a quote that someone else has quoted isnt a great idea

Smaller

Smaller

Smaller

Small

This is a test.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I agree lots of quotes look terrible.

Thanks!

new topics

top topics